A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Rigger who will pack a 20 year old chute?

Old June 1st 18, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Rigger who will pack a 20 year old chute?

OK, I understand the various interpretations of the "20 year life limit," but we don't have a rigger locally that will touch a 20 year old chute.

So, apparently there are riggers that WILL offer this service. Can you lucky folks who know who they are provide some contact information? I would be willing to pay shipping both ways and pay the repack fees to extend the usefulness (or potential usefulness) of my chute.

I have a Para-Phernalia "Softie," manufactured and purchased new in 2000 from Allen Silver, (who is actually a really nice guy that has provided a great deal of valuable guidance and service to the gliding community). I am not willing to knock him for what is probably intended as good advice but has to, unfortunately, encompass the entire range of customers who may not treat their vital piece of survival equipment properly.

You know, the guys who just leave their chute in a hot car trunk with the rubber stowage bands melting into the riser cords, the ones who leave the thing in a high-humidity environment and turn it into a Petri Dish suitable for mold cultivation and so on.

Any contact info would be welcomed by many on RAS, plus your rigger might be grateful enough for the added business that he might buy you a beer. However, having been in the company of jumpers, I realize that this is unlikely..
Old June 1st 18, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.
external usenet poster

Dona Mayer at Pepperell MA wrote the article referenced below and has been repacking my Security 150 for over 30 years now. Every time he does he asks me if I want to sell it (so he can buy it).You can ship it to him and he will ship it back, I think.
ROY
See:http://www.parachuteshop.com/service_life_limits.htm
Old June 1st 18, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.
external usenet poster

Don Mayer at Pepperell MA has been doing my Security 150 repack for over 30 years and wrote the article referenced below. I think you can send him the chute UPS and he will send it back same way (I drop off and pick up mine).. Very good service including repairs if needed.
ROY
http://www.parachuteshop.com/service_life_limits.htm
Old June 1st 18, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.
external usenet poster

See:
http://www.parachuteshop.com/service_life_limits.htm

Don has been doing my Security 150 for over 30 years.

ROY
Old June 1st 18, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz
external usenet poster

At 01:54 01 June 2018, wrote:
OK, I understand the various interpretations of the "20 year life

limit,"
b=
ut we don't have a rigger locally that will touch a 20 year old

chute.=20

So, apparently there are riggers that WILL offer this service. Can

you
luck=
y folks who know who they are provide some contact information?

I would be
=
willing to pay shipping both ways and pay the repack fees to

extend the
use=
fulness (or potential usefulness) of my chute.

I have a Para-Phernalia "Softie," manufactured and purchased new

in 2000
fr=
om Allen Silver, (who is actually a really nice guy that has provided

a
gre=
at deal of valuable guidance and service to the gliding community).

I am
no=
t willing to knock him for what is probably intended as good advice

but
has=
to, unfortunately, encompass the entire range of customers who

may not
tre=
at their vital piece of survival equipment properly.

You know, the guys who just leave their chute in a hot car trunk

with the
r=
ubber stowage bands melting into the riser cords, the ones who

leave the
th=
ing in a high-humidity environment and turn it into a Petri Dish

suitable
f=
or mold cultivation and so on.

Any contact info would be welcomed by many on RAS, plus your

rigger might
b=
e grateful enough for the added business that he might buy you a

beer.
Howe=
ver, having been in the company of jumpers, I realize that this is
unlikely=

I have a master rigger here in CT that has just repacked my 40 year
old Strong Para Cushion Back (which I bought new, so we know
where it's been all along). If nobody has one closer to NM, I can get
you his info.

RO

Old June 1st 18, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C
external usenet poster

Mark,

I had my 20 year old Strong 303 repacked here in Albuq. Strong's have no TSO 20 year limit, so my old parachute, in very good condition, easily passed. I would not post the Master Rigger's name here without permission.

Mike
Old June 1st 18, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C
external usenet poster

On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 7:54:45 PM UTC-6, wrote:
OK, I understand the various interpretations of the "20 year life limit," but we don't have a rigger locally that will touch a 20 year old chute.

So, apparently there are riggers that WILL offer this service. Can you lucky folks who know who they are provide some contact information? I would be willing to pay shipping both ways and pay the repack fees to extend the usefulness (or potential usefulness) of my chute.

I have a Para-Phernalia "Softie," manufactured and purchased new in 2000 from Allen Silver, (who is actually a really nice guy that has provided a great deal of valuable guidance and service to the gliding community). I am not willing to knock him for what is probably intended as good advice but has to, unfortunately, encompass the entire range of customers who may not treat their vital piece of survival equipment properly.

You know, the guys who just leave their chute in a hot car trunk with the rubber stowage bands melting into the riser cords, the ones who leave the thing in a high-humidity environment and turn it into a Petri Dish suitable for mold cultivation and so on.

Any contact info would be welcomed by many on RAS, plus your rigger might be grateful enough for the added business that he might buy you a beer. However, having been in the company of jumpers, I realize that this is unlikely.

PARA-PHERNALIA

1.4 SERVICE LIFE
Independent testing of aged nylon materials has proven that its strength degrades over time, therefore, Para-Phernalia, Inc. and Free Flight Enterprises have established a 20-year service life from the date of component manufacture for the Softie Pilot Emergency System and the Preserve
line of emergency parachutes

The Softie has a TSO 20 year limit, so you are right, probably no one will repack your chute.

Seems like Strong Parachutes are the best value when longevity and resale value are considered.

Mike
Old June 1st 18, 04:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

It is just propaganda.
Please look at the Parachute Shop link that Roy posted. Then open the response letter from FAA.
Without a Service Bulletin being issued, it's merely a recommendation by the people who want to sell you another chute. If you abuse the chute it may be valid. Look after a chute and it lasts much longer.
Or don't put any effort in, and believe that Budweiser is "the king of beers" because Anheuser Busch said so.
Jim

On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 8:12:38 PM UTC-7, Mike C wrote:

Any contact info would be welcomed by many on RAS, plus your rigger might be grateful enough for the added business that he might buy you a beer. However, having been in the company of jumpers, I realize that this is unlikely.

PARA-PHERNALIA

1.4 SERVICE LIFE
Independent testing of aged nylon materials has proven that its strength degrades over time, therefore, Para-Phernalia, Inc. and Free Flight Enterprises have established a 20-year service life from the date of component manufacture for the Softie Pilot Emergency System and the Preserve

The Softie has a TSO 20 year limit, so you are right, probably no one will repack your chute.

Seems like Strong Parachutes are the best value when longevity and resale value are considered.

Mike

Old June 1st 18, 05:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C
external usenet poster

On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 9:58:00 PM UTC-6, JS wrote:
It is just propaganda.
Please look at the Parachute Shop link that Roy posted. Then open the response letter from FAA.
Without a Service Bulletin being issued, it's merely a recommendation by the people who want to sell you another chute. If you abuse the chute it may be valid. Look after a chute and it lasts much longer.
Or don't put any effort in, and believe that Budweiser is "the king of beers" because Anheuser Busch said so.
Jim

On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 8:12:38 PM UTC-7, Mike C wrote:
OK, I understand the various interpretations of the "20 year life limit," but we don't have a rigger locally that will touch a 20 year old chute..

Any contact info would be welcomed by many on RAS, plus your rigger might be grateful enough for the added business that he might buy you a beer.. However, having been in the company of jumpers, I realize that this is unlikely.

PARA-PHERNALIA

1.4 SERVICE LIFE

Mike

This helps clarify it.

FAR 65.129 -
No certificated parachute rigger may -
(e)
Pack, maintain, or alter a parachute in any manner that deviates from
the procedures approved by an FAA administrator OR the
manufacturer of the parachute; or
(f)
Exercise the privileges of his certificate and type rating unless he
understands the current manufacturer’s instructions for the operation
involved.
Old June 1st 18, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Mark,

There's a Master Rigger in the east mountains who inspects both of our
chutes, those of the glider FBO, and a lot of the ABQ club's equipment.Â*
He also presents an annual parachute safety clinic for the club.Â* I'll
give you his contact information next time I see you or you could
probably get it from the airport manager.

On 5/31/2018 7:54 PM, wrote:

--
Dan, 5J