Maintenance for Old Airplanes

Old January 1st 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Adams[_2_]

Default Maintenance for Old Airplanes

Did you see this on Avweb today?

"Aircraft owners in Kansas and parts of the Southwest are worried about a policy adopted by one and
possibly two aircraft maintenance providers to refuse to work on aircraft that are 18 years or older. "

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#194113

This sounds pretty ominous for those of us with old airplanes. Has anyone run into this yet? I haven't, but
did hear rumors about it regarding a local FBO, but have not had a problem so far.

Mike
Old January 1st 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Floppy

"Mike Adams" wrote in message
Did you see this on Avweb today?

"Aircraft owners in Kansas and parts of the Southwest are worried about a
policy adopted by one and
possibly two aircraft maintenance providers to refuse to work on aircraft
that are 18 years or older. "

Damn, my car is older than that! I like old things and the drive to force
obsolescence just offends me so much. One of my bikes is fifty this year!

Old January 1st 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Carter[_1_]

Posted At: Monday, January 01, 2007 11:40 AM
Posted To: rec.aviation.owning
Conversation: Maintenance for Old Airplanes
Subject: Maintenance for Old Airplanes

"Mike Adams" wrote in message
Did you see this on Avweb today?

"Aircraft owners in Kansas and parts of the Southwest are worried

about
policy adopted by one and
possibly two aircraft maintenance providers to refuse to work on

aircraft
that are 18 years or older. "

Damn, my car is older than that! I like old things and the drive to

force
obsolescence just offends me so much. One of my bikes is fifty this

year!

Let's hope this practice of not working on older things doesn't bleed
over into the medical profession...

Old January 1st 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert Dorsey

Cutter at DVT tried this crap around last May. The airport stepped in,
Cutter was given their lease based on being an equal opportunity FBO
from what I recall. This doesn't keep them from overpricing to keep
the little guys out though.

Old January 2nd 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Fry

"JC" == Jim Carter writes:

JC Let's hope this practice of not working on older things
JC doesn't bleed over into the medical profession...

It did already with HMOs...just talk to someone who's tried to have
the medical system (I won't call it a profession) take care of their
aging parent...

--
We only acknowledge small faults in order to make it appear that we
are free from great ones.
Old January 2nd 07, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
BT

they keep that up.. unless it goes industry wide.. they won't have any work
most of the airplanes currently flying are more than 18yrs old
BT

Old January 2nd 07, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Nathan Young

wrote:

Did you see this on Avweb today?

"Aircraft owners in Kansas and parts of the Southwest are worried about a policy adopted by one and
possibly two aircraft maintenance providers to refuse to work on aircraft that are 18 years or older. "

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#194113

Interesting, I had not considered the adverse affect that GARA would
have on the maintenance industry.

-Nathan

Old January 2nd 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Steve Foley[_2_]

Maybe the dealers will stop servicing older planes, but I doubt the small
independents will. You'll always find soneone looking to increase their
business by attracting new customers.

It really seems short-sighted to me. If I buy a fifteen year old plane, I
would never bring it to a shop that will refuse to service it in three
years. So any new customers would probably (IMHO) own thirteen year old and
younger planes.