B17 (and B25) at Moffett (KNUQ) today? (June 1st)

Old June 2nd 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default B17 (and B25) at Moffett (KNUQ) today? (June 1st)

I am lucky to live right under the approach path
of 32L at Moffett and I can enjoy watching whatever
-- sometimes odd -- birds land there (imagine that:
working from home, in the backyard, laptop, cool
drink and the VHF handy to do some plane spotting --
doesn't get any better than that :-) ); now, today,
June 1st, around 6pm local time, I saw a B17 and a
B25 land there (actually did a few landings); I am not
making that up, and I am pretty sure I was not
dreaming (the cool drinks are non-alcoholic beverages);
I don't see anything scheduled today and/or at Moffett
on www.b17.org -- anyone knows what's up? I'll drop
by the museum tomorrow morning and check it out :-)

--Sylvain
Old June 2nd 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Sylvain" wrote in message

I am lucky to live right under the approach path
of 32L at Moffett and I can enjoy watching whatever
-- sometimes odd -- birds land there (imagine that:
working from home, in the backyard, laptop, cool
drink and the VHF handy to do some plane spotting --
doesn't get any better than that :-) ); now, today,
June 1st, around 6pm local time, I saw a B17 and a
B25 land there (actually did a few landings); I am not
making that up, and I am pretty sure I was not
dreaming (the cool drinks are non-alcoholic beverages);
I don't see anything scheduled today and/or at Moffett
on www.b17.org -- anyone knows what's up? I'll drop
by the museum tomorrow morning and check it out :-)

--Sylvain

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/cf_schedule-wof.htm

B17 = Nine O Nine
B25 = Tondelayo
B24 = Witchcraft (If it's there too...)

Pics of flying on the B17 at:

http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/b17_ride

(Shameless plug for the shooter ... Me.)

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Old June 2nd 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Beckman wrote:
http://www.collingsfoundation.org/cf_schedule-wof.htm

thanks for the URLs!

glad to see that I was not hallucinating! ;-)

http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/b17_ride

nice pictures!

--Sylvain
Old June 2nd 06, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Beckman" writes:
"Sylvain" wrote in message

I am lucky to live right under the approach path
of 32L at Moffett and I can enjoy watching whatever
-- sometimes odd -- birds land there (imagine that:
working from home, in the backyard, laptop, cool
drink and the VHF handy to do some plane spotting --
doesn't get any better than that :-) ); now, today,
June 1st, around 6pm local time, I saw a B17 and a
B25 land there (actually did a few landings); I am not
making that up, and I am pretty sure I was not
dreaming (the cool drinks are non-alcoholic beverages);
I don't see anything scheduled today and/or at Moffett
on www.b17.org -- anyone knows what's up? I'll drop
by the museum tomorrow morning and check it out :-)

--Sylvain

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/cf_schedule-wof.htm

I saw the B25 flying overhead at lunch yesterday in Mountain View near
the Ampitheatre -- I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the
info Jay!

Chris
--
Chris Colohan Email: PGP: finger
Web:
Old June 2nd 06, 07:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Chris Colohan wrote:
"Jay Beckman" writes:

"Sylvain" wrote in message

[...]

Darn. I was a passenger with my friend flying (first time as a
passenger in 3+ years). I tried to get him to fly the ILS into KNUQ but
he didn't want to. Damn, we could have been in the pattern with those
planes at the very same time. Instead we were in the pattern with a
mighty PA28-161 and a C152 at PAO. ;-) (Note, I'm a big man flying
PA28-181's ;-) )

Gerald
Old June 2nd 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

GS wrote:

Darn. I was a passenger with my friend flying (first time as a
passenger in 3+ years). I tried to get him to fly the ILS into KNUQ but
he didn't want to. Damn, we could have been in the pattern with those
planes at the very same time. Instead we were in the pattern with a
mighty PA28-161 and a C152 at PAO. ;-) (Note, I'm a big man flying
PA28-181's ;-) )

Gerald

One of my last solo practice sessions for my checkride I flew from
Orlando Executive (KORL) to Leesburg (KLEE) to shoot some landings.
When I tuned in the CTAF, I heard "Catalina final for 23, Leesburg."
Sure enough a PBY was landing and I watched from the air. About 3 trips
around the pattern later, they took off and headed back to Lakeland
(Sun-n-Fun was underway). What a great sight. I really like those old
warbirds, and seeing one form the air is tremendous!

John Stevens
PP-ASEL

Old June 5th 06, 08:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 19:16:42 -0700, "Jay Beckman" wrote:

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/cf_schedule-wof.htm

B17 = Nine O Nine
B25 = Tondelayo
B24 = Witchcraft (If it's there too...)

Nice pix, Jay. My dad and I took a ride in Nine O Nine today. What an
incredible experience. Just standing on the tarmac at Moffett watching
those three great machines come and go was a blast. Actually flying in
the B17, sitting in the nose, sticking my head out the open top as we
cruised over the bay...awesome.

Blair