2 outta 3 :-(

Old October 9th 03, 02:09 AM
dutch

Default 2 outta 3 :-(

I've been trying to finish up an instrument rating in my 69 Arrow. I had
the check ride scheduled for this afternoon so thought a short final
refresher with instructor yesterday would be a good idea.

First approach, lowered the gear for descent, oooops, right main indicator
still dark. Switch the bulbs, nope, same one. Flew by the tower, looked OK
to them. Took it back home, landed fine, into the shop.

The down indicator switch assembly is covered by a plastic housing, and the
plastic eventually gets old and brittle and when asked to flex too many
times eventually just broke the wire inside. So I'm going to replace the
entire assembly and do the one on the left side as well - did the nose gear
last year. It's a little nerve-wracking not knowing whether you're going to
get that let-down feeling on touchdown.

I'm concluding after a couple of years of ownership that buying an older
airplane gives you the opportunity to replace every moving part one at a
time.

Old October 9th 03, 02:20 AM
G.R. Patterson III

dutch wrote:

I'm concluding after a couple of years of ownership that buying an older
airplane gives you the opportunity to replace every moving part one at a
time.

There's a saying about motorcycles that if you maintain one yourself, you will
eventually have two of them.

George Patterson
God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the
good fortune to run into the ones I like, and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

Old October 9th 03, 05:05 AM
Tina Marie

In article . net, dutch wrote:
I'm concluding after a couple of years of ownership that buying an older
airplane gives you the opportunity to replace every moving part one at a
time.

I disagree.

Very often, I have to replace multiple moving parts at a time.

Tina Marie
(N3653P)
--
http://www.tripacerdriver.com "...One of the main causes
of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way
Old October 9th 03, 05:28 AM

On 8-Oct-2003, "dutch" wrote:

The down indicator switch assembly is covered by a plastic housing, and
the plastic eventually gets old and brittle and when asked to flex too
many
times eventually just broke the wire inside.

I had EXACTLY the same thing happen on our '79 Arrow, except it was the left
main and it occurred while approaching Oshkosh during the big show!
--
-Elliott Drucker
Old October 9th 03, 05:37 AM

On 8-Oct-2003, Newps wrote:

Shoulda bought a 182. Same or more speed for less money.

The 182 is a very fine airplane but you've got it reversed. The Arrow is
typically a few knots faster, and for planes of comparable age, equipment,
and condition the 182 will probably sell for thousands more. The 182 costs
more to operate, too. Its engine is more expensive to overhaul, and the
higher fuel costs for the 182 will usually more than offset the higher
maintenance costs for the Arrow's landing gear.

The planes actually have similar mission capabilities, but the more
efficient Arrow will generally do it for somewhat lower cost at the expense
of somewhat greater complexity.

--
-Elliott Drucker
Old October 9th 03, 03:42 PM
Jay Honeck

I'm concluding after a couple of years of ownership that buying an older
airplane gives you the opportunity to replace every moving part one at a
time.

The trick is to find a good one that a previous owner has already gone
through...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 9th 03, 04:35 PM
Michael

"dutch" wrote
The down indicator switch assembly is covered by a plastic housing, and the
plastic eventually gets old and brittle and when asked to flex too many
times eventually just broke the wire inside. So I'm going to replace the
entire assembly and do the one on the left side as well

Well, you can do that. Or you can splice in new wire in the area
subject to flexing. If you have a cooperative A&P and are handy with
tools, it's a simple procedure that will save you hundreds of dollars
in one afternoon. Your call, but that's how I dealt with the same
problem on my Twin Comanche. Still going strong after hundreds of
cycles.

I'm concluding after a couple of years of ownership that buying an older
airplane gives you the opportunity to replace every moving part one at a
time.

Well, I would put it this way - unless you're going to do the
maintenance yourself, you are not saving any money by buying an older
complex airplane.

Michael
Old October 10th 03, 01:59 AM
Carl Ellis

An airplane is like your grandfather's axe. Your father replaced the
handle, and you replaced the head, but it's still your grandfather's axe.

"Michael" wrote in message
m...
"dutch" wrote
[...]

---