Would you fly on this airline?

Old September 6th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cjcampbell

Default Would you fly on this airline?

On Sep 6, 10:51 am, "Marco Leon" wrote:
"cjcampbell" wrote in message

ps.com...

Eh, why not sacrifice a couple of goats? I know plenty of Christians
who pray before a flight. Who am I to criticize another man's
religion?

Because by praying, you're trying to effect outcomes of the unknown or
things that you have little control over. It would be like praying for your
engine to fix itself as opposed to having a certified A&P look at it.

So? The Nepalese had a certified A&P fix their plane, too. They are
not Christian Scientists, you know. :-)

Old September 6th 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Marco Leon wrote:
"cjcampbell" wrote in message
ps.com...

Eh, why not sacrifice a couple of goats? I know plenty of Christians
who pray before a flight. Who am I to criticize another man's
religion?

Because by praying, you're trying to effect outcomes of the unknown or
things that you have little control over. It would be like praying
for your engine to fix itself as opposed to having a certified A&P
look at it.
Marco

Is there anything in the story about the goats that states that the airline
isn't taking other actions?

Old September 6th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cjcampbell

On Sep 5, 8:28 am, Jay Honeck wrote:
KATHMANDU (Reuters) - Officials at Nepal's state-run airline have
sacrificed two goats to appease Akash Bhairab, the Hindu sky god,
following technical problems with one of its Boeing 757 aircraft, the
carrier said Tuesday.

Which has, apparently, made them the *butt* of many jokes. It is only
natural that the sky god would want to horn in.

But maybe there was a better reason for sacrificing the goats. The way
I herd it, the maintenance crew came out to find that someone had been
chewing on the wiring of the Boeing plane. They lined up all the
suspects: the goats, a Brahman bull, and some chickens. The only
witness was a rabbit, so they trotted him down the line. The rabbit
stopped at the goats and nodded at them. The goats nervously claimed
that they didn't do it, but the crewman said, "Hare's looking at you,
kid."

And now, since I will be banned for a few days -- see you all
later. :-)

Old September 6th 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Ousterhout[_2_]

Jay Honeck wrote:
KATHMANDU (Reuters) - Officials at Nepal's state-run airline have
sacrificed two goats to appease Akash Bhairab, the Hindu sky god,
following technical problems with one of its Boeing 757 aircraft, the
carrier said Tuesday.

I wonder what the Boeing service manual says about this?

AC 43.14, p. 8976(b)

1 A&P = 4 CFIs.
1 CFI = 4 cows.
1 cow = 4 goats.
1 goat = 4 chickens.
1 chicken = 4 rats.
1 rat = 4 trolls.

- J.O.-
Old September 6th 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

While we're on the funny things foreign airlines do. From Wikipedia...

"The origins of Olympic Airways was in 1930, when the first predecessor
airline was established. The airline was called Icarus but after just a few
months went bankrupt due to financial problems and limited Greek interest in
air transport."

They named an airline after Icarus and it failed. What a surprise.

Old September 6th 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Of course, this is all written by a guy who sincerely believes that
Jesus Christ appeared to the American Indians 2000 years ago... I am
well aware that people make fun of my religious beliefs, too. That is
fine with me; I am well aware of how ridiculous they seem. That said,
I am not inclined to make fun others' religious beliefs -- until those
beliefs start to interfere with my right to worship as I please and my
right to gain enlightenment through scientific investigation.

Well said, its funny that a lot of Hindus (especially those that are
vegetarian) would be appalled by acts of animal sacrifice. I think in
this particular case more Hindus would take offense than anybody else
other than maybe PETA..

Old September 6th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ash Wyllie

Gig 601XL Builder opined

While we're on the funny things foreign airlines do. From Wikipedia...

"The origins of Olympic Airways was in 1930, when the first predecessor
airline was established. The airline was called Icarus but after just a few
months went bankrupt due to financial problems and limited Greek interest in
air transport."

They named an airline after Icarus and it failed. What a surprise.

One presumes that Daedelus Airways would have been a great success. Except for
the maze in the terminal...

-ash
Cthulhu in 2007!
Why wait for nature?

Old September 6th 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sep 6, 12:32 pm, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net
wrote:
While we're on the funny things foreign airlines do. From Wikipedia...

"The origins of Olympic Airways was in 1930, when the first predecessor
airline was established. The airline was called Icarus but after just a few
months went bankrupt due to financial problems and limited Greek interest in
air transport."

They named an airline after Icarus and it failed. What a surprise.

They flew too high and melted the wax from their wings...

Old September 7th 07, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

Montblack wrote:

I wonder what the Boeing service manual says about this?

You're ......wait for it ......"kidding", right?

BTW, sacrificing two goats is the accepted procedure for fixing...

....wait for it.... gyros!

Paul-Mont :-)

OMFG!
ow...ouch...ow

no really, those are pretty good

Old September 7th 07, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

Jay Honeck wrote:
KATHMANDU (Reuters) - Officials at Nepal's state-run airline have
sacrificed two goats

Hmmm. Gate Gourmet.

Better than pretzels?

Airline Lobby Group Says GA traffic Is The Main Cause Of Airline Delays Larry Dighera Piloting 0 July 7th 07 01:19 PM
Now this is an airline! Bob Chilcoat Piloting 3 June 25th 04 04:33 PM
Virtual Airline sues Real Airline Joseph Brown Simulators 4 April 25th 04 09:10 PM
new airline Jay Honeck Piloting 1 March 29th 04 06:35 AM
Airline 4.0 Greggo Simulators 1 July 30th 03 08:50 AM