A question about the Transall C160

Old September 29th 03, 06:42 AM
Chad Irby

Skysurfer wrote:

It's true that USA is the friend of good democracies such as Pakistan,
Saudi Arabia and Kuwait where the terrorists don't come from ...

No, but it is true that we've allied with a lot of bad people so we can
stop *worse* people from getting what they want.

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old September 29th 03, 06:43 AM
Chad Irby

In article ,
Skysurfer wrote:

Who is naive to believe that Irak was behind spetember the 11th ?

Who is corrupt enough to look the other way on Iraq so TotalFinaElf can
make a lot of money?

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old September 29th 03, 10:18 AM
shonen

Umm, they didn't "pull out" of NATO. They very conveniently stayed in
just
enough to whine about stuff but far enough out to never actually do any
work.

Actually, they did pull out of NATO. By March 1966, deGaulle had

withdrawn
France from NATO and its command structure because he felt that France

needed to
be independent of joint security considerations, which would not have been
possible had they remained in NATO. As an example, they would have been

unable
to bar the presence of missiles from their soil that were under foreign

them) control, which was a step that de Gaulle actually took. They

remained out
of NATO until Mitterand brought them back in during the early '90s,

although I
am not sure of that date or time period.

George Z.

As I remember they pulled out at least partly due to the Cuban missile
crisis. It became apparent to them, and everyone else, that Europe could not
depend on the US not to sell them out in a crisis. As happened. The US were
willing to do a secret deal with the Soviets to pull out the missiles from
Turkey in exchange for the Soviets pulling their missiles out of Cuba. The
US would not be willing to commit to full scale war for Europe. The French
felt that they needed an independent nuclear capability to deter the
Soviets, rather than relying on the US, who had demonstrated a willingness
to sacrifice NATO security for their own.

Not that I blame the US. The whole massive retaliation thing wasn't a really
practical proposition. In may sound good in theory, but when things come to
a crunch, the US really couldn't be expected to make the supreme sacrifice
for Europe. The Europeans knew this and were always wary of US efforts to
distance themselves, or to restrict nuclear war just to Europe. I guess if
the French nuked Moscow, the Soviets wouldn't have worried who they nuked in
retaliation. Share the pain.

As for the Transall, my 1968 Observors says crew of 4, 81 troops or 62
casualty stretchers and 4 medical attendants. Other (vehicle) loads not
exceeding 35,270 lb. weight.Military Transports and Training Aircraft of the
World add cross section of the cabin is 9ft, 7in by 10 ft 2 1/2 in for a
length of 42 ft.

Old September 29th 03, 10:34 AM
shonen

I put a wee bit off info under the first thread, after a brief diversion to
Cuba.

Actually, after the above, crap, I don't think the Americans deserve allies.
Bring our troops back and **** 'em. We're not going to get any thanks if our
troops are in Iraq or Afghanistan so let the American troops die.

Opps, now I'm starting to rant! But those ignorant fools really **** me off.

Brian wrote in message
. net...
Not intelligently, no.

--
Brian - harpoon at thegrafixguy dot com
"C Knowles" wrote in message
news
Ever get your question answered?

"Brian" wrote in message
Anyone have any data in regards to the types of military vehicles and

number
carried that could fit inside the plane for air transport?

Looking at the French Army vehicle mainly - thanks in advance

Brian

Old September 29th 03, 11:20 AM
Keith Willshaw

"shonen" wrote in message

As I remember they pulled out at least partly due to the Cuban missile
crisis. It became apparent to them, and everyone else, that Europe could

not
depend on the US not to sell them out in a crisis. As happened. The US

were
willing to do a secret deal with the Soviets to pull out the missiles from
Turkey in exchange for the Soviets pulling their missiles out of Cuba. The
US would not be willing to commit to full scale war for Europe. The French
felt that they needed an independent nuclear capability to deter the
Soviets, rather than relying on the US, who had demonstrated a willingness
to sacrifice NATO security for their own.

Incorrect

The Cuban missile crisis happened in 1962
France withdrew its forces from the Nato command structure
in 1966 giving as a reason the dominance of US commanders in the
organisation.

There was nothing in the NATO charter to prevent France
developing its own strategic deterrent , this is in fact what the
UK did.

Keith

Old September 29th 03, 01:41 PM
Grantland

"ArVa" wrote:

"Alan Minyard" a écrit dans le message de
.. .

So who said we want france as an ally?

Well, almost all your top government officials, including your president...
Or were they all lying while crossing their fingers in their back? That
would probably be a premiere... :-)

partially because of comments like the one above.

I don't think he was refering to France only. Don't you want allies and
friends at all? Geez, I really wonder what disturbs you so much in Clark's
statement...

ArVa

I'll tell you Arva. The Jews want to do something despicable and
completely unacceptable in the ME. They can swing their slaves, the
Zomboid Amerikong into docile acquiescense, only if the global protest
doesn't much matter. Only nukes matter.

Hence the beastlike xenophobia.

Grantland

GPT (Gulfport MS) ILS 14 question A Lieberman Instrument Flight Rules 18 January 30th 05 04:51 PM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Tecumseh Engine Mounting Question jlauer Home Built 7 November 16th 03 01:51 AM