KJZI (Charleston Executive, S.C.) ILS RWY 9 DME Required

Old March 13th 10, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default KJZI (Charleston Executive, S.C.) ILS RWY 9 DME Required

On Mar 13, 7:15*am, Sam Spade wrote:
wrote:

Repeating myself: *if you have 17 in sight a mile or two prior to the
MDA why would you not align yourself with the runway and descend
straight ahead in a normal descent for landing?

Ummm it doesn't line up with the 137 radial should for some reason I
do have to go missed, deer on the runway, departing plane not
necessarily under ATC control. Do you even fly at uncontrolled
airports? I wonder if you ask a question of this nature.

Nor what you suggest is a standard entry into an uncontrolled airport
per AIM.
Old March 13th 10, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Mar 13, 7:13*am, Sam Spade wrote:
wrote:

I care as much about your view of my attitude as your concern for
control tower operations.

Doesn't surprise me, you know it all, I just fly in the system and
regularity stay current so just like Mx, you speak without foundation
about "my concerns"......

Show me where I have made any safety errors with regards to control
tower operations. YOU CAN'T.

ATC's job is separation, my job is flying the plane. If you consider
my safety parameters of holding MDA altitude to missed bad for control
tower operations, they you have the problem not me, NOT ATC either..
Why I say this about ATC? ATC does not have a problem with what I do
holding MDA altitude to the MAP at several D class airports of the
likes of KNEW, KTUP, KHKS, KOWB, and the list goes on. I haven't
received instructions to call the tower after landing because of my
technique so there must be merit on what I say.

BUT THIS IS OK as I take your opinion for what it's worth. You
APPARENTLY sit behind a keyboard like Mx, make judgment. I am in a
plane.

At the end of the flight, I am the one that has to land, not you so I
am comfortable with my process. Again, while nice to know I can
descend below MDA before MAP thanks to Mark and Bob getting me up to
speed, my safety parameters will continue to err on the side of the
thought process altitude is my friend. My way still REASONABLY (not
guarantee) assures me gliding distance to the runway should the fan
quit.

You are sadly mistaken if you think that I don't work with or not
concerned about ATC operations. Don't believe me, watch my boring
videos as you call it. I have more then plenty to show that I
willingly accommodate to ATC requests outside of my normal operating
parameters but within my safety parameters.

Perfect I am not Sam, don't profess to be and never will be as long as
I am on the top side of where the green grass grows. I even got a
video where I made a mistake, thought I was cleared for an approach
and posted it so others can learn. But apparently you are too good to
watch my videos.
Old March 13th 10, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

wrote:

Repeating myself: if you have 17 in sight a mile or two prior to the
MDA why would you not align yourself with the runway and descend
straight ahead in a normal descent for landing?

Ummm it doesn't line up with the 137 radial should for some reason I
do have to go missed, deer on the runway, departing plane not
necessarily under ATC control. Do you even fly at uncontrolled
airports? I wonder if you ask a question of this nature.

Nor what you suggest is a standard entry into an uncontrolled airport
per AIM.

This is actually getting funny.

Okay, at an uncontrolled airport like KMBO you certainly have the
election to hold MDA until the MAP, then (using Runway 17) turn
downwind, base, and final. And, as you roll out on final and descend
below 840 (514) the runway is now immune from a deer running out on it,
or an airplane taking the runway without a CTAF announcement?

To save a message slot about holding MDA at airports with operating
control towers. Have you ever read this in the AIM?

c. Straight-in Minimums are shown on the IAP when the final approach
course is within 30 degrees of the runway alignment (15 degrees for GPS
IAPs) and a normal descent can be made from the IFR altitude shown on
the IAP to the runway surface. When either the normal rate of descent or
the runway alignment factor of 30 degrees (15 degrees for GPS IAPs) is
exceeded, a straight-in minimum is not published and a circling minimum
applies. The fact that a straight-in minimum is not published does not
preclude pilots from landing straight-in if they have the active runway
in sight and have sufficient time to make a normal approach for landing.
Under such conditions and when ATC has cleared them for landing on that
runway, pilots are not expected to circle even though only circling
minimums are published. If they desire to circle, they should advise ATC.
Old March 13th 10, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Mar 13, 8:30*am, Sam Spade wrote:

Okay, at an uncontrolled airport like KMBO you certainly have the
election to hold MDA until the MAP, then (using Runway 17) turn
downwind, base, and final. *

You are right Sam, it's amusing. Talk to me when you get in the real
world of flying. You want to enter the pattern non standard, great,
knock your socks off. Flying the plane doesn't stop at MAP or when
you go visual. I fly based on what I deem safe AND within the ATC
parameters given to me.. If ATC gives me something I deem unsafe, I
won't hesitate to use the word unable.

Apparently I don't have the book smarts, but I believe I do have the
street smarts to make it in the instrument world. I think I have
proven this through my videos. That's all I need..............

Carry on in your book world Sam, I'd rather spend the time in a plane
staying current then waste my time on you nit picking over something
like what to do on an approach when I am conducting the approach
within legal and MOST IMPORTANTLY safe guidelines :-)

Other then learning from Bob and Mark that I indeed was misinformed
about not being able to descend below MDA before missed, what have you
provided for me? I honestly can't think of a thing.
Old March 13th 10, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

wrote:

The fact that a straight-in minimum is not published does not
preclude pilots from landing straight-in if they have the active runway
in sight and have sufficient time to make a normal approach for landing.
Under such conditions and when ATC has cleared them for landing on that
runway, pilots are not expected to circle even though only circling
minimums are published. If they desire to circle, they should advise ATC.

Oh yean, one other thing. The above does NOT apply to KMBO. I will
NEVER get cleared to land at KMBO. But of course you don't apparently
fly in the real world to understand this.

After all, if the winds were blowing out of the north, I wouldn't
request the GPS 17 would I?
Old March 13th 10, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

wrote:
[...]

I provided you with a chart from North Dakota of a procedure you
asserted did not exist.
Old March 13th 10, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

wrote:

The fact that a straight-in minimum is not published does not
preclude pilots from landing straight-in if they have the active runway
in sight and have sufficient time to make a normal approach for landing..
Under such conditions and when ATC has cleared them for landing on that
runway, pilots are not expected to circle even though only circling
minimums are published. If they desire to circle, they should advise ATC.

Oh yean, one other thing. *The above does NOT apply to KMBO. *I will
NEVER get cleared to land at KMBO. *But of course you don't apparently
fly in the real world to understand this.

After all, if the winds were blowing out of the north, I wouldn't
request the GPS 17 would I?

Oh, KMBO doesn't have a control tower?

NOPE. You would know this if you looked on the approach plate.
Old March 13th 10, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Mar 13, 9:24*am, Sam Spade wrote:
wrote:
[...]

So did Bob and his came through first.