Hemet Airport: FAA Ruling Supports Soaring Right of Airport Access

Old February 15th 11, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HoUdino

Default Hemet Airport: FAA Ruling Supports Soaring Right of Airport Access

This is monumental.

The FAA ruling regarding the County of Riverside's banning of gliders
from the HMT has been released and completely supports soarings
continued use of HMT in So California.

We did this for ourselves, and we did this for everybody in soaring.

And we won!

We all now have a legal foundation in case law that supports soarings
right to fly at public use airports. Unless the public authority has
an "FAA Safety Study", they can not ban sailplane operations.

Sometimes the biggest news in soaring is not the new blinking gizmo on
your panel. ;-)

Thanks to many with special thanks to our attorney, Ron Cozad. The
County has 30 days....

We kicked their butts!

Larry Tuohino
Chris Mannion
Mary Rust
Orange County Soaring Association
HEMET, Ca
Old February 15th 11, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Evans[_2_]

On Feb 15, 3:15*pm, HoUdino wrote:
[...]

It is indeed. Good Job!
Old February 15th 11, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Congratulations on fighting the good fight and winning! Here's hoping
the County decides to fold, and not torture you further.

-john

Old February 15th 11, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GK[_2_]

On Feb 15, 4:15*pm, HoUdino wrote:
[...]

Congratulations!
It is truly astonishing that FAA ruled in favor of soaring operation.
Old February 15th 11, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vaughn[_3_]

"HoUdino" wrote in message
We all now have a legal foundation in case law that supports soarings
right to fly at public use airports. Unless the public authority has
an "FAA Safety Study", they can not ban sailplane operations.

Congratulations and thank you!

Can you supply any links to documents?

Vaughn

Old February 16th 11, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Feb 15, 2:15*pm, HoUdino wrote:
This is monumental...

It sure is, Larry! You and your friends totally rock!

Take a bow, you fought the good fight and won.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old February 16th 11, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 2/15/2011 2:39 PM, GK wrote:
On Feb 15, 4:15 pm, wrote:

We kicked their butts!

Larry Tuohino
Chris Mannion
Mary Rust
Orange County Soaring Association
HEMET, Ca

Congratulations!
It is truly astonishing that FAA ruled in favor of soaring operation.

It's not amazing to me - I think they are pretty touchy about other
people deciding who can and who can't use an airport that FAA funds went
to. In our area, they were a major factor (years ago) in keeping the
airspace open over the Hanford project area (640 square miles!), while
DOE wanted to restrict it surface to 10,000'. The FAA can be quite
helpful in preventing airport and airspace grabs by "other people", in
my experience.

So, please, no reflexive disparaging of the FAA. Hemet is not an
isolated incident.

email me)
Old February 16th 11, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

[...]

Nice job! I've only flown there one in a glider but now there's a
chance I'll do it again.

Andy

Old February 16th 11, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HoUdino

The SSA has a link on its main page up at top of right hand column.
The decision is very detailed with many issues addressed.

http://www.ssa.org/files/member/OC%2...%202.11.11.pdf

The local newspapers should open up a barrage on the County by this
weekend...it ain't over until they cry "uncle". We have momentum.

LT