Well, I flunked my medical, now what ?

Old November 1st 05, 06:14 AM
Anonymous coward #673

Default Well, I flunked my medical, now what ?

In article ,
Robert Chambers wrote:

Anonymous coward #673 wrote:
In article ,
Scott Moore wrote:

Great, I flunked my medical.

Actually, this came close to happening 4 years ago. I tested bad on
blood sugar (I don't know if that means too high or too low). Last time,
I passed it after taking a new blood test

Hm, that's odd. I've never had to take a blood test on any of my
medicals. Is there an age where this kicks in, or were my doctors
cutting corners?

(Identity concealed for obvious reasons)

Never had to wizz in the cup?

WIzz, yes. Bleed, no.
Old November 1st 05, 06:32 AM

:

Hm, that's odd. I've never had to take a blood test on any of my
medicals. Is there an age where this kicks in, or were my doctors
cutting corners?

Strange .. every FAA Medical I've taken in over 30 years, I've had to
pee in a cup.

--

A urine test isn't a blood test.

Old November 1st 05, 10:17 AM
David Cartwright

"Anonymous coward #673" wrote in message
Hm, that's odd. I've never had to take a blood test on any of my
medicals. Is there an age where this kicks in, or were my doctors
cutting corners?

My first ever medical involved a blood test (dunno what they test for apart
from anaemia) and a urine test, but subsequent ones have had only the urine
test.

D.

Old November 1st 05, 04:01 PM
Marco Leon

Sorry to hear that Scott. You may care about Type 2 Diabetes less than you
do flying but left unchecked, you may lose sensation in one or more limbs
and even amputation. From what I've heard, that tends to make getting a
medical waiver a bit more challenging as well (but by no means impossible).

Now that you've been denied a medical, you can't go the Sport Pilot route to
get back in the air. Why not just lose the weight, get more exercise, and
change the diet? When I got diagnosed with Type2, I considered it a blessing
that I was able to control it that way and using no meds. I also considered
it as a clear message to take care of my body--my "primary airframe."

I haven't had a medical yet after being diagnosed but from what the AOPA
tells me, I just need to show evidence that it is under control.

Good luck,

Marco Leon

"Scott Moore" wrote in message
Great, I flunked my medical.

Actually, this came close to happening 4 years ago. I tested bad on
blood sugar (I don't know if that means too high or too low). Last time,
I passed it after taking a new blood test after fasting. This time,
the (12 hour) fast didn't help. Last time, I got advised to loose 20lbs
to clear it up, I did, it did, and I have maintained that weight since,
although clearly it didn't help.

So now, official notice is headed for Oklahoma, and now I get to have
extra hassle passing my medical forever. I'm losing another 20lbs, which
I suspect will fix the "issue" again.

How do I get my license back quickly (as possible) ? I have an airplane
that is now a brick. Tell you what, I don't really give a damm if I have
type 2 diabetes. I'm old, something is bound to get me sooner or later.
I care about not being able to fly, that is a definite drop in life
quality.

Anyone been through this ?

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 1st 05, 04:17 PM
Scott Moore

Scott Moore wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the good answers in this thread. I'd also be interested in how
long it takes (minimum) to get back my medical status, assuming I check
clean.

The question is germane, I have an airplane that is going to be sitting
until this happens.

--
Samiam is Scott A. Moore

Personal web site: http:/www.moorecad.com/scott
My electronics engineering consulting site: http://www.moorecad.com
ISO 7185 Standard Pascal web site: http://www.moorecad.com/standardpascal
Classic Basic Games web site: http://www.moorecad.com/classicbasic
The IP Pascal web site, a high performance, highly portable ISO 7185 Pascal
compiler system: http://www.moorecad.com/ippas

Good does not always win. But good is more patient.
Old November 1st 05, 04:31 PM
Jose

The question is germane, I have an airplane that is going to be sitting
until this happens.

You can still fly with an instructor, or even with another pilot willing
to be PIC.

Jose
Old November 1st 05, 07:23 PM
Dick Meade

Scott Moore wrote:

Thanks for the good answers in this thread. I'd also be interested in how
long it takes (minimum) to get back my medical status, assuming I check
clean.

You may not want to know. In an effort to clear up the huge backlog of
Special Issuance renewals, OK City is delaying the processing of new Special
Issuances. If yours comes up as an SI, figure on at least 100 days, after
you provide them with all the testing and documentation they will require.

Sorry.

Old November 1st 05, 09:40 PM
Mark T. Dame

Matt Whiting wrote:

Have you tried bicycling? I have back problems and a bad ankle, but
find biking to be fairly kind to both. The only problem is that winter
is fast approaching here in PA and it isn't kind to biking! I may have
to invest in a good stationary bike, but I'm not sure I can stand to
bike in place...

Put a TV in your workout room (or put your bike in your TV room) and
watch the news while you bike. They also make stands for standard
bicycles so you can turn your street bike into a stationary bike for the
winter.

-m
--
## Mark T. Dame
## VP, Product Development
Old November 1st 05, 10:15 PM
Jim Burns

That's a great idea and one I've used. Usually you won't exercise as long
as the movie is, so it gives you incentive to get back in there the next day
to continue watching the movie. Put the TV in a location where it can't be
seen from anywhere BUT the bike or treadmill.
Jim

Old November 1st 05, 11:11 PM
Matt Whiting

Mark T. Dame wrote:
Matt Whiting wrote:

Have you tried bicycling? I have back problems and a bad ankle, but
find biking to be fairly kind to both. The only problem is that
winter is fast approaching here in PA and it isn't kind to biking! I
may have to invest in a good stationary bike, but I'm not sure I can
stand to bike in place...

Put a TV in your workout room (or put your bike in your TV room) and
watch the news while you bike. They also make stands for standard
bicycles so you can turn your street bike into a stationary bike for the
winter.

Watching TV is almost as much fun as staring at the wallpaper pattern. :-)

I have an "air turbine" stand that I bought 20 years ago, but the
resistance of it is just too low for me. It doesn't give me enough
resistance to even hold a steady gait. It is almost like pedaling while
freewheeling. I found it very unacceptable. One of the more expensive
adjustable stands with magnetic resistance might be better, but I'd
almost as soon get a good dedicatd stationary bike and not wear out my
good bike in the winter.

Matt