A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Discus B aileron sealing

Old March 17th 17, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kurt[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Discus B aileron sealing

I have a Discus B with the mylar seals on the bottom of the ailerons. When I bought the ship, it had tape on the top gap, which bows up depending on the deflection of the surface. I re-read Dick Johnson's flight test and it appears that the tape could be eliminated. He sealed the push rods at the wing root. So, the question is, does the aileron hinge gap on the top of the wing need to be sealed if I have mylar on the bottom gap, and if I seal the push rods on the wing root? The gap is pretty large.

Thanks!
Old March 17th 17, 06:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross[_3_]
external usenet poster

I am rather certain that it was standard to seal top and bottom.
I have run a teflon tape over the top gap and then mylar over the top mainly because there was a recess for it in the wing.

Any gap that you can drive a horse and cart through should be sealed

Old March 17th 17, 06:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster

On Friday, 17 March 2017 02:53:31 UTC+2, Kurt wrote:
I have a Discus B with the mylar seals on the bottom of the ailerons. When I bought the ship, it had tape on the top gap, which bows up depending on the deflection of the surface. I re-read Dick Johnson's flight test and it appears that the tape could be eliminated. He sealed the push rods at the wing root. So, the question is, does the aileron hinge gap on the top of the wing need to be sealed if I have mylar on the bottom gap, and if I seal the push rods on the wing root? The gap is pretty large.

Thanks!

If you get water on top of the wing, it runs down to unsealed aileron/wing gap and corrodes hinge pins. Lower seal makes sure all the water stays in the hinge line. Aerodynamically, it is probably unnecessary.
Old March 17th 17, 10:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 8:53:31 PM UTC-4, Kurt wrote:

Thanks

Have the factory seal schedule for you. Need an e-mail