Jeppesen Garmin Nav Updates

Old October 16th 09, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Jeppesen Garmin Nav Updates

On Oct 15, 5:59*pm, Sam Spade wrote:
wrote:
On Oct 15, 9:16 am, Sam Spade wrote:

So, no one pays for it?-

Dunno about you...

If you paid for freeware, you were scalped.

All the software I use in aviation is certified. *Don't know of any
freeware there.

And your point being?

ATP is free, nobody pays for it is the answer to your question above.
Old October 16th 09, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Blanche

The argument electronic v paper is irrelevant. Thats' only the
delivery mechanism. What you're really paying for is the JAD - the
Jeppesen Aviation Datbase and the part of it that you want..

The JAD is not just the US. It's got data from every country's
aviation facility, or at least the ones that Jepp can acquire (sometimes
it costs, sometimes provided by the government, as with the FAA)

And every time Jepp gets a new release of data, it has to be validated and
verified before it's put into the database. That's both a manual and
automated process. There's lots of people involved checking the data.

Old October 16th 09, 05:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Blanche

ATPII - there's no info on the web page as to system requirements. Not everyone
uses Windows.

Old October 16th 09, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Blanche wrote:

The argument electronic v paper is irrelevant. Thats' only the
delivery mechanism. What you're really paying for is the JAD - the
Jeppesen Aviation Datbase and the part of it that you want..

The JAD is not just the US. It's got data from every country's
aviation facility, or at least the ones that Jepp can acquire (sometimes
it costs, sometimes provided by the government, as with the FAA)

And every time Jepp gets a new release of data, it has to be validated and
verified before it's put into the database. That's both a manual and
automated process. There's lots of people involved checking the data.

Spot on. But, you're wasting your breath in this forum.
Old October 17th 09, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Oct 16, 9:14*am, Sam Spade wrote:

You usually get what you pay for. *I don't know of any aviation
charities for pilots.

What are you talking about? I am not complaining one iota about the
program, in fact quite the opposite.

The program ATP far exceeds my expectations and the fact that it's
free shows that quality can come at a price of being free without the
greed of the likes of Jeppeson.

Just because you choose not to explore options affordable doesn't take
away the value of the program for others.

Old October 17th 09, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Oct 16, 8:13*pm, Sam Spade wrote:

Do you realize what you're saying? *That you like having someone
volunteer their time and talent to make your hobby less expensive?
Would you like me to wash and wax your airplane for you for gratis?

If you offered, and did a good job I'd be a fool not to accept. Do I
expect it?

No, I don't expect anything for gratis, but I won't turn it down. The
developer is giving his time and effort to make a program. I (and
other users) am giving him our time during the trial and error part.
It's a win win situation for all.

Not quite sure why you find the current expense of aviation acceptable
when there are others doing what they can to bring down the expense of
flying and enhancing safety. If I can use ATP to save a couple
hundred dollars in chart expenses per year, you can bet I will do it.

Just because you use "certified" software doesn't mean it's the best
software out there.
Old October 17th 09, 04:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Oct 15, 11:05*pm, Blanche wrote:
The argument electronic v paper is irrelevant.

Actually it is relevant with regards to expense. If I want to just do
local approaches in MS for this month, I can purchase a book of plates
for less then 10.00 (I think that's the going price for NACO, Jeppeson
is higher I think). That book is certified just as accurate as the
electronic version. Takes the same amount of people and labor. I
don't use Jeppeson, but they do issue paper charts. Trip to Ohio for
NACO plates probably would have costed about 50 to 75 dollars. I
don't know the Jeppeson cost, but I am sure it's higher.

I can't pick and choose what I want or need on a month to month basis
for the Garmin 430 card. The cost for the electronic version isn't
justifiable IN MY EYES compared to the paper product.

Jeppesen Garmin Nav Updates Jas Piloting 0 October 11th 09 08:14 PM
jeppesen updates for the Garmin waas units me[_1_] Instrument Flight Rules 11 March 15th 07 03:09 AM
Garmin updates Jules Piloting 3 December 20th 06 08:09 PM
Garmin 430 Jeppesen Skybound updates John Doe Piloting 17 November 30th 05 04:50 AM
Garmin 430 Jeppesen Skybound updates John Doe Owning 17 November 30th 05 04:50 AM