smoke oil

Old February 16th 04, 04:40 AM
nametab

Default smoke oil

What is anyone using for smoke oil? and how much are you paying? Anyone have
a good source?

Thanks.

Old February 20th 04, 06:26 PM
Markus Feyerabend

Hi,

Never used it myself (in a glider you need something else ;-)), but try a
google search for Corvus or Canopus 13 made from Texaco (which is a concrete
form release oil). Over here in Germany they mostly use regular diesel fuel.

Good luck,
Markus

nametab schrieb in Nachricht ...

Old February 20th 04, 08:29 PM
nametab

Yeah, found the Texaco product at $5.70 a gallon when purchased in 55 Gal
drums. Seems real high since I'll need about 1Gal/minute.

Old February 20th 04, 09:50 PM
Markus Feyerabend

Come on, that´s less than half of what we pay for 4 minutes orange smoke on
our glider! ;-)
Try these links, they might help a bit

http://acro.harvard.edu/ACRO/threads...msg000007.html

http://www.tmenet.com/brews.htm

http://www.mikegoulian.com/html/support_manual.html

Have fun,
Markus

nametab schrieb in Nachricht ...
Yeah, found the Texaco product at $5.70 a gallon when purchased in 55 Gal
drums. Seems real high since I'll need about 1Gal/minute.

. ..

Old February 21st 04, 02:25 PM
Bushy

form release oil). Over here in Germany they mostly use regular diesel
fuel.

G'day,
Don't know 'bout the flying stuff, but my old Mitsubishi (bits-a-missing)
truck certainly blows smoke when I have the foot down hard up hills!

They reckon it has something to do with all the unburnt carbon from a rich
mixture, but I know it's old age!

Try a google groups search on the model aircraft groups as well, they also
use smoke on some of their "toy planes"....

Hope this helps,
Peter

Old February 23rd 04, 09:24 PM
Wright1902Glider

From my experience, I'd say that most of the aerobatic guys/teams on the
airshow circut spec. Corvis as the first choice. They also list the quantity
they need as one of their airshow-provided requirements.

Unfortunately, I can't give you a personal recomendation since I'm currently
showing a glider as well. But I hope this helps.

Harry
Old February 27th 04, 01:27 PM
Bushy

Talked with a bloke that does a bit of this with RC gear, and does a few
"shows". He uses diesel fuel and about 20% white oil like you would use on
your rose garden. The white oil makes the smoke much whiter than straight
diesel, but cannot be mixed to thick so it won't flow. He preheats the oil
mix in copper pipe that goes past the head before it goes into the exhaust
pipe at the hot end near the head.

This is on glow plug and whipper snipper two strokes, but may help.

Peter

Old March 4th 04, 07:15 PM
Andrew Boyd

Bushy wrote:

The white oil makes the smoke much

I actually wrote an article on smoke oil
which was published by IAC's Sport Aerobatics
magazine about a year ago.

Here's an online text version:

http://www.pittspecials.com/articles...il_article.txt

--
ATP http://www.pittspecials.com/images/oz_inv.jpg
Old March 4th 04, 09:07 PM
nametab

Great work. Thanks.

How much volume are you trying to push through there. We are up to almost
1gal/minute and getting fair smoke, but with the rotor downwash, it defuses
too quickly. In forward speed, the smoke is OK, but below 40kts, it gets
beat up quickly. Looks more like we are on fire than that we are leaving
smoke trails!

"Andrew Boyd" wrote in message
om...

Old March 5th 04, 03:14 AM
Gus Rasch

I contacted NOCO about the oil you mentioned in your article and they
stated that they no longer produce that oil. Needless to say I was
not happy.

Gus Rasch
Pitts S1S
N21JF