CFII question...

Old January 11th 04, 08:17 AM
Ditch

Default CFII question...

Does a CFII have to be instrument current to give instrument instruction in VFR
conditions? Just curious...and I don't have a set-O-regs handy at the moment
otherwise I'd get off my lazy butt and look it up. Thanks...

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*
Old January 11th 04, 10:21 AM
Barry

FAR 61.57 says: "(c) Instrument experience. Except as provided in paragraph
(e) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command under IFR or in
weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR, unless within
the preceding 6 calendar months, that person has ..."

Pretty straightforward. Even in VMC (VFR conditions) if you accept an IFR
clearance, you must be current. If you give instrument dual in VMC and do
not accept an IFR clearance, no instrument currency is required.

If you are training an instrument student for an instrument rating, remember
that FAR 61.65 requires that the 'long' instrument cross country be
accomplished under IFR - not necessarily under IMC, but under IFR..
Therefore, for that portion of instrument training for an instrument rating,
the CFII must be instrument current as that particular flight must be
performed under an IFR clearance.
Tailwinds. -Antique Examiner

Old January 11th 04, 11:04 AM
Ditch

If you give instrument dual in VMC and do
not accept an IFR clearance, no instrument currency is required.

Thank you...that's all I needed to know.

Old January 11th 04, 04:24 PM
Ron Natalie

"Ditch" wrote in message ...
Does a CFII have to be instrument current to give instrument instruction in VFR
conditions? Just curious...and I don't have a set-O-regs handy at the moment
otherwise I'd get off my lazy butt and look it up. Thanks...

A CFII doesn't need to be instrument current to give instruction at all.
Instrument currency is only required if he need to be PIC in instrument
conditions.

Old January 11th 04, 04:47 PM
Bill Zaleski

Ron:

There is one little legal catch that makes currency an issue: You
must be current to file and receive an IFR clearance, regardless of
the WX conditions and the instruction required for the IFR dual cross
country must be given under an IFR clearance, but not necessarily
instrument conditions.

Old January 11th 04, 04:58 PM
Ron Natalie

"Bill Zaleski" wrote in message ...
Ron:

There is one little legal catch that makes currency an issue: You
must be current to file and receive an IFR clearance, regardless of
the WX conditions and the instruction required for the IFR dual cross
country must be given under an IFR clearance, but not necessarily
instrument conditions.

Correct, shlould have said PIC under IFR. You want to be excessively
pedantic, even an IFR clearance isn't required. You can operate IFR
in uncontrolled airspace without a clearance.

The point I was trying to make is that instrument currency is a function of
being PIC not giving an instruction. I've got a friend who's an instructor
but can't be PIC (no medical). I can get all sorts of instruction from him,
but nothing that requires him to adopt the PIC role.

Old January 11th 04, 05:01 PM
Ron Natalie

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message m...

"Bill Zaleski" wrote in message ...
Ron:

There is one little legal catch that makes currency an issue: You
must be current to file and receive an IFR clearance, regardless of
the WX conditions and the instruction required for the IFR dual cross
country must be given under an IFR clearance, but not necessarily
instrument conditions.

Correct, shlould have said PIC under IFR. You want to be excessively
pedantic, even an IFR clearance isn't required. You can operate IFR
in uncontrolled airspace without a clearance.

The point I was trying to make is that instrument currency is a function of
being PIC not giving an instruction. I've got a friend who's an instructor
but can't be PIC (no medical). I can get all sorts of instruction from him,
but nothing that requires him to adopt the PIC role.

I should further point out that not only can't he be PIC, he can't be safety
pilot either, which cuts out the opportunity for him to be safety pilot as well.
He could give instruction in IMC (provided the student acts as PIC), but he
can't give insturment instruction to a student under the hood.

Old January 11th 04, 07:39 PM
Matthew S. Whiting

Ron Natalie wrote:
"Ditch" wrote in message ...

Does a CFII have to be instrument current to give instrument instruction in VFR
conditions? Just curious...and I don't have a set-O-regs handy at the moment
otherwise I'd get off my lazy butt and look it up. Thanks...

A CFII doesn't need to be instrument current to give instruction at all.
Instrument currency is only required if he need to be PIC in instrument
conditions.

Instrument conditions, or just PIC on an IFR flight plan?

Matt

Old January 11th 04, 08:12 PM
Robert Moore

Bill Zaleski wrote

There is one little legal catch that makes currency an issue: You
must be current to file and receive an IFR clearance, regardless of
the WX conditions and the instruction required for the IFR dual cross
country must be given under an IFR clearance, but not necessarily
instrument conditions.

As usual with many members of this NG, Ron has chosen his words to
reflect the letter of the law, not so much to clearify the issue.
A PIC under IFR could concievably be in a non-control seat in the
airplane.

Bob Moore

A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Tecumseh Engine Mounting Question jlauer Home Built 7 November 16th 03 01:51 AM
Established on the approach - Checkride question endre Instrument Flight Rules 59 October 6th 03 04:36 PM