Cost Savings for PPL

Old August 22nd 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
oscarm

Default Cost Savings for PPL

Hi Group,

I am currently attending a flying school Part 61. Since I've been
playing Flight Sim for about 15 years, on my first lesson I was able to
land the airplane right away. Thanks to Microsoft Flight Simulator.
I believed that I am a step or two step ahead compared to other student
that never realy see a cockpit or play a simulator before. Is there any
body can help me to set up a better program for me. I give my self a
target that in 45 hours I will get my PPL, It sounds funy but flight
simulator really helps me on practice and understanding how the system
works.
In this school I have to spent at least 30 hour dual flight until they
release me a solo, and learn about the radio communications and trafic
pattern on the very last section. Is this a good program or jsut trying
to get as much as hour from me. I heart a rumors that the Instructor
also wants you fly as much as possible so they will earn the hours
while I am paying it.
Please I need your Input. My Budget only $3,000. This is something that
I always wanted to do, but since I jsut have a baby I have to shrink
the budget.

Thank you for your help

Old August 22nd 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dave S

oscarm wrote:
Hi Group,

I am currently attending a flying school Part 61. ...

In this school I have to spent at least 30 hour dual flight until they
release me a solo, and learn about the radio communications and trafic
pattern on the very last section. ...

Thank you for your help

Sounds very suspect to me. Shop around before you commit to flying in
their program.
Old August 22nd 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Solo at a controlled airport as base and using nearby
uncontrolled airports for practice and first solo can be
done in 12-15 hours and includes using the radio from the
first flight. By the time you are at 30 hours you could
have some solo cross country. Sounds to me lie that school
is padding the dual early. If you are in certain areas, LA
Basin, NYC metro, it might take longer.

Flight sim "games" can teach you good and bad habits. If
you practice in the sim what you're doing in your lesson
plan, it can be useful. If you are just playing around,
you'll probably develop bad habits and have tom spend time
to unlearn those habits.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

oups.com...

Old August 22nd 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ben Jackson

On 2006-08-21, oscarm wrote:
target that in 45 hours I will get my PPL,

In this school I have to spent at least 30 hour dual flight until they
release me a solo,

From what I've seen, the amount of time to solo varies quite a bit, but
most people finish about 30 hours after they solo. If you've flown 30
hours already, I doubt that you can finish in 45 hours total. Also,
if you were able to land on your first lesson, with the right instructor
you should have been able to solo sooner.

The good news is, no one is shooting for the lowest total time except
primary students. If you had no money to fly after getting your license,
you don't really lose much by flying a few more of the hours with an
instructor. In fact, if you do plan to stop flying after you get your
PPL, you should work on getting signed off for your solo cross countries
and fly those before you quit. I rank those right up with first solo and
getting my PPL.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Old August 22nd 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Frank Ch. Eigler

"oscarm" writes:

I am currently attending a flying school Part 61. [...] In this
school I have to spent at least 30 hour dual flight until they
release me a solo [...]

Others have commented on the suspiciousness of this requirement.

Please I need your Input. My Budget only $3,000. This is something
that I always wanted to do, but since I jsut have a baby I have to
shrink the budget.

In your circumstances, perhaps it may be appropriate to defer your own
proper training, and befriend another local pilot. You could still
experience flight, learn a bit, but not undertake the full financial &
corporal risks involved.

- FChE
Old August 22nd 06, 11:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
David Cartwright

"oscarm" wrote in message
oups.com...
I give my self a
target that in 45 hours I will get my PPL, It sounds funy but flight
simulator really helps me on practice and understanding how the system
works.

PC-based flight sims can be a very useful tool. I found them particularly
useful when I was doing my IMC rating (a UK-specific cut-down alternative to
the instrument rating) because it helps you get used to setting beacon
frequencies, identifying stations, setting up approaches, flying the ILS or
ADF indicators, and so on. Do remember, though, that the PC simulator can
let you get away with some pretty horrific manoeuvres that when tried in
real life could well get you (a) arrested or (b) killed!

In this school I have to spent at least 30 hour dual flight until they
release me a solo, and learn about the radio communications and trafic
pattern on the very last section.

Blimey. You should smell a rat. Over here in the UK, you can get a National
PPL with just over 30 hours total time! I went solo after 13 hours, and the
majority of students I know have done so before 20 hours. If they're not
letting you solo until 30 hours, there's something weird going on.

Also, you should be doing at least a part of the radio communications within
5-10 hours. The way my instructor did it was to give me a few lessons to
figure out how this flying concept works, then to get me to do more and more
radio as time went by. So initially it might be asking for taxi, take-off
and landing clearances, then handovers from one controller to another, then
something else, and so on and so on, eventually doing practice emergency
calls and training fixes (where you actually talk on the emergency
frequencies and simulate an emergency).

Is this a good program or jsut trying
to get as much as hour from me. I heart a rumors that the Instructor
also wants you fly as much as possible so they will earn the hours
while I am paying it.

Depends on the type of instructor you have. In order to get airline
transport licences, a pilot has to have a certain number of hours as
pilot-in-command of an aircraft; one way of getting these hours is to spend
them sitting beside a student, because the student's paying for the rent of
the aircraft. This doesn't automatically mean that the instructor is bad -
I've been with three hours-building instructors of this type who were all
excellent - but in some cases the instructor doesn't give a stuff and is
just using the role to build his or her hours (and a friend of mine has
suffered at the hands of one of those).

Please I need your Input. My Budget only $3,000. This is something that
I always wanted to do, but since I jsut have a baby I have to shrink
the budget.

You'll be doing well to fit it into $3,000 with any school, but the school
you're describing sounds like it'll be way more expensive.

David C

Old August 22nd 06, 12:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
John Doe[_2_]

"oscarm" wrote in message
[...]

Get out of that school and go find a CFI at your local FBO/flight school.

You'll save thousands over that school and the CFI will teach you at your
own pace (which sounds like it'll be pretty fast)

Old August 22nd 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
oscarm

HI David,

Thanks for your input. Basically i am just aiming for PPL and not an
Airlines pilot. Yes that is true I did some research and $3,000 is firt
with a student that committet and learn as hard as possible. I probably
will ask the instructore to combine some lesson into one sessions, for
example 1 hour Steep turn introduction, 1 hour slow flight
introduction, 1 hour stall introduction is add up to 3 hours, I perhaps
wants to do it all of them in 1.5 hours. Yes it is true that SIM helps
a lot on flight plannig, and instrument rating.
Thank you for your input. Of course i just flown my first hour last
week, on the next two lesson, i'll ask him to teach me the radio comm.

Thank you

Old August 22nd 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
oscarm

Hi Ben, thatnsk for your respond.
I just flown my first hour last week. And still more to come. If I
follow the schedule on their program, it will take 25 meeting until it
gets to pre solo one and pre solo two.
I'll have another lesson this comming weekend and see if he use all of
the 2 hours time just to introdue Steep turn.
my target is maximum 13-15 hours dual and the rest are solo. Is this
sounds reasonable?

Old August 22nd 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bob Moore

oscarm wrote
my target is maximum 13-15 hours dual and the rest are solo. Is this
sounds reasonable?

You still haven't told us where you are located, and we certainly
can't answer your questions without knowing what regulations you
will be studying under. It doesn't sound as if English is your
native language?

Bob Moore