Nose Tire

Old January 11th 04, 05:48 PM
PaulaJay1

Default Nose Tire

I just replaced the nose tire after 6 years 798 landings. Do I have the
record? It was ( and the new is) an Aero Trainer so, you see, I only use the
best. :-)

Chuck
Old January 11th 04, 06:59 PM
BTIZ

LOL.. very funny... but how many tail wheel tires have you gone through...

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

PaulaJay1 wrote:

I just replaced the nose tire after 6 years 798 landings. Do I have the
record?

Well, I bought my Maule in 1995, and I've never had to replace the nose

tire at
all! :-)

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually

said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Old January 12th 04, 12:43 AM
BTIZ

ROFLMAO...

BT

BTIZ wrote:

LOL.. very funny... but how many tail wheel tires have you gone

through...

I'm on my second one.

Spoilsport. :-(

Old January 12th 04, 04:21 PM
Foster

My understanding is that, if you fly primarily off of a sod (actually
probably more accurate to say - if you land primarily on a sod) runway,
replacing tires is just an urban legend.

JJF

Old January 12th 04, 06:57 PM
Orval Fairbairn

PaulaJay1 wrote:
I just replaced the nose tire after 6 years 798 landings. Do I have the
record? It was ( and the new is) an Aero Trainer so, you see, I only use
the
best. :-)

Chuck

No record there -- I had my 5.00X4 nose tire on my Johnson Rocket for at
least 20 years and 1000+ hours.
Old January 13th 04, 12:49 AM
Dan Thomas

Orval Fairbairn wrote in message .. .
In article ,
Foster wrote:

My understanding is that, if you fly primarily off of a sod (actually
probably more accurate to say - if you land primarily on a sod) runway,
replacing tires is just an urban legend.

Landing technique has a big effect on tire life. I often see
pliots landing fast and in a flat attitude, often touching down on all
three tires, then braking hard to try to keep the thing from running
off the end of the runway.
Owners who hold the airplane off until it just won't fly anymore
will get better tire life, and if they plan their approaches to touch
down where they should, they'll get better brake life, too.
An old jet jock told me that the tires on the heavies are worn
more by braking than by the touchdown.

Dan
Old January 14th 04, 12:52 AM
Hankal

I have a friend that wore out a set of mains on his taildragger in
less than a year (about 130 hrs.). It was his first year with a
taildragger and he tended to use the brakes a lot to control his taxi
speed. He's much better at it since he got the tire bill

Some flight schools teach to use the brakes for steering.
They do not pay for the brakes or tires.
I use rudder for steering unless I have to make a very sharp turn.
Cessna 172 pilot.

Piper 6.00x6 Nose Wheel and Fork? mikem General Aviation 5 March 5th 04 11:34 PM
VW-1 C-121J landing with unlocked nose wheel Mel Davidow LT USNR Ret Military Aviation 1 January 19th 04 05:22 AM
Canard nose pading Paul Lee Home Built 6 January 9th 04 07:36 AM
Tire inflation pressure Paul Lee Home Built 80 November 19th 03 07:56 AM
Nosewheel Shimmy and Scalloped Tire Redux, Plus Larry Smith Home Built 2 September 15th 03 04:03 PM