$4.04 per gallon at Hilton Head

Old July 25th 05, 05:58 AM
Guy Byars

Default $4.04 per gallon at Hilton Head

Just tanked up at Hilton Head SC. They charged me $3.85 per gallon of
100LL, and then added on a 5% "fuel tax". Works out to $4.04 per gallon.
Ouch, a new high.

Now that I am back home, I am going to top off with mogas... $2.10 seems
cheap now.

Old July 25th 05, 07:07 AM
nimbusgb

Welcome to the *real* world! Just wait until it hits the $7.50 a gallon
you pay here in the UK.

Ian

Old July 25th 05, 07:31 AM
309

Is that per imperial gallon, or U.S. gallon? ;-)

Old July 25th 05, 10:39 AM
André Somers

Guy Byars wrote:

Just tanked up at Hilton Head SC. They charged me $3.85 per gallon of
100LL, and then added on a 5% "fuel tax". Works out to $4.04 per gallon.
Ouch, a new high.

Now that I am back home, I am going to top off with mogas... $2.10 seems
cheap now.

We're paying 1.40 EURO (about $1.70 US) per LITER here at the moment. Your
fuel is still very cheap IMHO.

André
Old July 25th 05, 05:14 PM
Guy Byars

Sorry everyone, I meant to post this in rec.aviation.owning. Still, an
alarming trend even for soaring pilots.

Guy

.. .

Old July 25th 05, 06:36 PM
Mike Schumann

Time to think about switching to winches.

Mike Schumann

"Guy Byars" wrote in message
. ..
Sorry everyone, I meant to post this in rec.aviation.owning. Still, an
alarming trend even for soaring pilots.

Guy

.. .

Old July 25th 05, 07:56 PM
Willie G

or consider a self-launcher.

I can launch to 3000ft AGL using less
than 1 U.S. Gal of auto gas.

Willie G.
Silent-IN

Old July 27th 05, 02:00 AM

Why in the world go to 3000 feet ? Save Gas !

Old July 27th 05, 05:55 PM
Willie G

Dave Nadler wrote:
Why in the world go to 3000 feet ?

Because I can, Dave.

On another note, I believe increasingly higher
fuel prices might encourage power pilots to seek
out cheaper forms of flying.

Might be a good idea to put glider promotional
material as close to the fuel pumps as the FBO
will allow.

Willie G.

Old July 27th 05, 07:26 PM
Eric Greenwell

Willie G wrote:
Dave Nadler wrote:

Why in the world go to 3000 feet ?

Because I can, Dave.

Not the real reason, I'll bet, as I'm sure the Silent can also go to
4000' agl! Personally, I launch just high enough to be confident of
finding lift and getting away. This has varied from 1500' to 6000',
depending on the weather and terrain. I don't use less than 1500' agl
because I want enough height to stow the motor and still have enough to
do an in-flight restart if the lift isn't really there. Some pilots have
to take a high launch to get out of controlled airspace to where they
can thermal.

On another note, I believe increasingly higher
fuel prices might encourage power pilots to seek
out cheaper forms of flying.

Might be a good idea to put glider promotional
material as close to the fuel pumps as the FBO
will allow.

Especially if it includes references to motorgliders, I think. Power
pilots often seem more attracted to self-launching sailplanes than towed
gliders. The independence of launching from almost any airport on their
schedule and avoiding outlandings and the retrieve appeals to them.
Unlike people that are new to flying, the ownership and operating costs
seem reasonable compared power flying costs they are familiar with.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA