Honeck Hilton

Old February 26th 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ken Finney

Default Honeck Hilton

Don't know if this has been mentioned here before, but there is a nice
article about the Alexis Park Inn in the February 16, 2007 issue of General
Aviation News magazine.

http://www.generalaviationnews.com/e...index&-nothing

Old February 26th 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Don't know if this has been mentioned here before, but there is a nice
article about the Alexis Park Inn in the February 16, 2007 issue of General
Aviation News magazine.

http://www.generalaviationnews.com/e...ail.lasso?-tok...

Although I like the publicity, thanks, the real thrust of the article
is about how we've saved our historic Boeing/United Hangar by
"building" it in the virtual world of the Kiwi -- our flight
simulator.

In real life we're losing the battle to save that grand old hangar --
but at least it will now exist forever in the virtual Iowa City
world...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 26th 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Woellhaf

Jay Honeck wrote about trying to save an historic hangar on his field.

Jay,

Go to the Northwest and capture a family of Spotted Owls. You'll find a few
nesting in K-Mart signs. Relocate them to the historic hangar and then
"discover" them there.

On second thought, their presence might result in the closure of the
airport.

Jon

Old February 27th 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 26, 2:57 pm, "Jon Woellhaf" wrote:
Jay Honeck wrote about trying to save an historic hangar on his field.

Jay,

Go to the Northwest and capture a family of Spotted Owls. You'll find a few
nesting in K-Mart signs. Relocate them to the historic hangar and then
"discover" them there.

On second thought, their presence might result in the closure of the
airport.

Jon

Heck... Just mention they didn't show up till they dug up the old
runway. G

Old February 27th 07, 12:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Go to the Northwest and capture a family of Spotted Owls. You'll find a few
nesting in K-Mart signs. Relocate them to the historic hangar and then
"discover" them there.

On second thought, their presence might result in the closure of the
airport.

That has been the delicate balance we have sought all along. Any
major effort to get the hangar placed on the National Historic
Register would inevitably make it darned near impossible for the
aiport to grow and evolve over the years, simply because of the
hangar's proximity to the main runway.

Moving it is the solution, but -- for reasons I cannot fathom -- the
airport commission isn't interested in pursuing this option. I even
got a mover to come give us a quote -- it's only $35K to move the
damned thing -- but the commission won't even put it on the meeting
agenda.

Our airport commission is astoundingly bad at this sort of thing.
They're doing some very good things -- repaving taxiways that had
turned to gravel, putting concrete floors in old hangars, etc. -- but
they have NO concept of the damage they're doing by tearing down the
historic parts of our airport.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 27th 07, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

And yet you steadfastly refuse to run or request appointment (however your
city is structured)?

Jim

oups.com...

Old February 27th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On 27 Feb 2007 04:59:07 -0800, "Jay Honeck" wrote
in .com:

Moving it is the solution, but -- for reasons I cannot fathom -- the
airport commission isn't interested in pursuing this option. I even
got a mover to come give us a quote -- it's only $35K to move the
damned thing -- but the commission won't even put it on the meeting
agenda.

The old Pancho Barnes hangar* was moved by Gus Brieglieb to El Mirage
after her Happy Bottom Riding Club brothel...er, dude ranch was closed
by the Edwards AFB military. I believe it's still there today.

Perhaps a farmer with a private airstrip would be interested in moving
the hangar to his land for 'historical preservation'.

*
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...00663&t=h&om=1
Old February 27th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

And yet you steadfastly refuse to run or request appointment (however your
city is structured)?

I know I've already told you this, but I'll mention it here again.
Several years ago I was asked to apply by the airport commission
president at the time. The city council -- whose members make the
appointment decisions -- did not select me.

Since then I have been told that I was encouraged to apply only so
that there was the appearance of a choice.

Rather then become frustrated, I chose to found and administer our
airport advocacy group, Friends of Iowa City Airport. With almost 300
members, this non-profit group has been very successful at helping to
keep our airport open and strong.

But we haven't been able to save that old hangar, dammit.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 27th 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Perhaps a farmer with a private airstrip would be interested in moving
the hangar to his land for 'historical preservation'.

There have been several folks from "historic" airports around the
Midwest that have flown in to have a look at the hangar. They are all
discouraged to find out that the danged thing is HUGE. When it was
built it was one of the largest clear-span structures in the world,
and moving it any distance would be a monumental job.

The reason it's so cheap to move on the airport is because they could
literally just pick it up and drive right down the runway -- a surface
that is designed for great loads, and with no obstructions to move/
remove. When you start talking about moving it off-airport, the
costs sky-rocket...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 27th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Clear

In article .com,
Jay Honeck wrote:

That has been the delicate balance we have sought all along. Any
major effort to get the hangar placed on the National Historic
Register would inevitably make it darned near impossible for the
aiport to grow and evolve over the years, simply because of the
hangar's proximity to the main runway.

Moving it is the solution, but -- for reasons I cannot fathom -- the
airport commission isn't interested in pursuing this option. I even
got a mover to come give us a quote -- it's only $35K to move the
damned thing -- but the commission won't even put it on the meeting
agenda.

Get it on the National Historic Register to save it, and then you
can probably apply for various preservation funds/grants that can
be used to move it. Or when it gets in the way of an expansion,
the cost to move it just gets tacked on to the expansion costs.

John
--
John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/

Hilton Cup [email protected] Soaring 8 March 24th 06 04:40 PM
$4.04 per gallon at Hilton Head Guy Byars Owning 13 July 31st 05 06:43 PM
$4.04 per gallon at Hilton Head Guy Byars Soaring 9 July 27th 05 07:26 PM
Ping Hilton Jim Burns Piloting 0 April 5th 05 05:52 PM
Ping Hilton Steve Foley Piloting 1 April 5th 05 05:13 PM