The further adventures of Dr. Hacksaw

Old August 8th 04, 02:18 PM
Dan Luke

Default The further adventures of Dr. Hacksaw

Dr. H. is a local physician/pilot whose exploits have made him notorious
in the aviation community. He received his nickname for sawing the bent
prop tips off his Mooney after "nearly" landing it gear up. He then
flew it home, and the next day flew it to a repair shop.

Since then his legend has grown. Dr. H. abhors delays like preflight
inspections, which he has repeatedly been observed to skip entirely,
sometimes jumping the chocks to begin his flights. He once berated FBO
personnel for assuming he had merely forgotten to tie down his 152 and
doing it for him. Naturally, within a few days the aircraft was blown
on its back in a thunderstorm. It stayed that way on the ramp for a
couple days until Dr. H. could be induced to make arrangements for its
removal.

Immediately after 9/11, Dr. H. wasted no time busting the general TFR
and getting his face on tv for getting intercepted by F-16s.

The good doctor "built" a super high-performance Lancair IV-P and soon
managed to overrun a short runway, tearing off a wing.

Now, we learn that our boy has managed to land safely after striking
wires in his Mooney during a buzz job. Details are sketchy, but
observers have been said to whistle in wonder that the airplane was
flyable after the event. Unknown if this accident has been reported.

Of course, this sort of thing always brings up the question of what we
pilots should do about it, if anything. So far, the natural inclination
of pilots not to rat to the FAA and to let natural selection do its work
is prevailing.

Old August 8th 04, 03:22 PM
Casey Wilson

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
Dr. H. is a local physician/pilot whose exploits have made him notorious

some text deleted

Unknown if this accident has been reported.

Of course, this sort of thing always brings up the question of what we
pilots should do about it, if anything. So far, the natural inclination
of pilots not to rat to the FAA and to let natural selection do its work
is prevailing.

Sounds like Darwin isn't always on the mark. I'd rat him out before
he kills me or someone else, a complete stranger even. He sure as hell
isn't helping the public image of GA.

Old August 11th 04, 08:32 AM
Dylan Smith

In article , John Ousterhout wrote:
Mooney, C-152, Lancair?

No Bonanza? He must not be a real Doctor.

I always felt safe flying the club's Bonanza, since I'm not a doctor, it
won't kill me. Of course, it was a bit worrying the time I did have a
doctor as a passenger...

At SPX, we had one pilot who owned a Beech Duke with a very questionable
maintenance history and corrosion problems you wouldn't believe. He
never even looked at the plane before getting in and flying off - each
of the once-per-six-months flights he did. The Duke is boarded by an aft
cabin door - we speculated that the right wing could be missing outboard
of the right engine, and he wouldn't notice until he rotated for
takeoff.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old August 11th 04, 01:27 PM
Ace Pilot

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
Dr. H/D also likes to make the turnoff at Bravo when landing on rwy 32:

http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0406/00267AD.PDF

Displaced threshold? Bah!

Is that a displace threshold at MOB or something else? The airport
diagram doesn't appear to mark it as a displaced threshold, so I'm
wondering what it is (stopway? taxiway?), how you tell from the
airport diagram, and what pavement markings you'd expect to see.

Oh, yeah. Turn Dr. D in. I don't learn anything from NTSB reports
where the pilot was just an idiot.
Old August 11th 04, 06:19 PM
Dan Luke

"Ace Pilot" wrote:
Is that a displace threshold at MOB or something else?

Mmmm, I think it's something else: an abandoned bit of the old runway, not
available for landing or taxiing.

what pavement markings you'd expect to see.

Besides threshold markings...weeds? Can't remember - I'll have to fly over
and do a t-&-g to see. A similar abandoned bit of rwy 36 at BFM has an X on
it, but doesn't show on the plate at all:

http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0406/00268AD.PDF

Oh, yeah. Turn Dr. D in.

I have seen the physical evidence of the metal- and plastic-bending
incidents. Everything else comes from multiple credible eye witnesses. On
this basis would you run to the FAA? By the way, how do we know that
someone hasn't *already* done so?
--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old August 11th 04, 07:30 PM
John Galban

Dylan Smith wrote in message ...
In article , John Ousterhout wrote:
Mooney, C-152, Lancair?

No Bonanza? He must not be a real Doctor.

I always felt safe flying the club's Bonanza, since I'm not a doctor, it
won't kill me. Of course, it was a bit worrying the time I did have a
doctor as a passenger...

Last week I took my sister on a backcountry flying trip. She's not
a pilot, but very interested in GA. Over the years, she's learned how
to identify most of the planes we see parked at airports. We were at
an Idaho strip on Saturday when a Bonanza landed. She immediately
announced the presence of a "forked-tailed doctor killer", but could
not remember its real name to save her life.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)