German RT

Old April 19th 05, 04:11 AM
G. Sylvester

Brad Zeigler wrote:

Hoisting a few lagers would most certainly send a pilot off course.

Well instead of lead shot in the back, just throw a few mass and
a halb hendl.

Gerald
Old April 19th 05, 07:20 AM
Stefan

G. Sylvester wrote:

From my very limited experience
in Germany and from what I understand, the English used is
'by the book.' Everything is formal pre-determined phrases

Don't forget that in Germany (and most other countries) English is a
foreign language which even many pilots can barely understand and speak.
So sticking to pre-defined phrases is the only way to go.

Stefan
Old April 19th 05, 07:46 AM
G. Sylvester

Stefan wrote:
G. Sylvester wrote:

From my very limited experience
in Germany and from what I understand, the English used is
'by the book.' Everything is formal pre-determined phrases

Don't forget that in Germany (and most other countries) English is a
foreign language which even many pilots can barely understand and speak.
So sticking to pre-defined phrases is the only way to go.

genau. That was exactly my point. Also a lot of slang terms that
native speakers don't even realize is slang is very hard to understand.
In fact, many Europeans learn Queens English which is sometimes
more difficult to understand for an American than understanding
the 'foreign' language.

BTW, do a web search for Mark Twain's essay on the German language.
It's absolutely classic and in many regards accurate.

Gerald
Old April 19th 05, 07:47 AM
G. Sylvester

Is there a website with these phrases?

the first thing to know is "Nein" (pronounced like
the number 9) is 'no' in German. And that is
why we say "nine-r" instead of just "nine."

Gerald
Old April 19th 05, 08:00 AM
Stefan

G. Sylvester wrote:

BTW, do a web search for Mark Twain's essay on the German language.
It's absolutely classic and in many regards accurate.

"A Tramp Abroad", Appendix D (The Awful German Language)

Stefan
Old April 19th 05, 10:59 AM

I'm going to study on the German RT and next time I go to a EN/GE field
I ask if I can try the RT in German.
I think after some practice things will go relative easy.
There are some small fields that support both languages.(Stadtlohn,
Dahlemer Binz for example)
Me being smart(some times) I've marked all fields with English on the
German map in my Bottlang.

I do not trust FIS to much, had a few occasions that 'Langen
Information' was running a tape saying that for bla bla bla contact bla
bla bla on freqency bla bla.
Then the fun starts, trying to get a call thru Dusseldorf, or one of
those busy places, just to activate a VFR flight plan.

Anyway, I like flying there.
-Kees

Old April 19th 05, 12:03 PM
Patrick Mayer

Having fun in Germany is no problem, certainly with that excellent beer
you guys have.

...if you can afford it after refueling (compared to the U.S. it feels like
the fuel truck serves liquid gold) :-/

Have fun, anyway!
Patrick

Old April 23rd 05, 09:25 AM
Thomas Borchert

Stefan,

So sticking to pre-defined phrases is the only way to go.

And because foreign pilots are (still) allowed to fly in the US, it
should be the same there, too. But, no such joy. US airline pilots
saying numbers on the radio really tick me off...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 23rd 05, 07:03 PM
Jens Krueger

Thomas Borchert wrote:

US airline pilots
saying numbers on the radio really tick me off...

Huh? Can you elaborate?

--
I don't accept any emails right now. Usenet replys only.
Old April 25th 05, 09:34 PM
Thomas Borchert

Jens,

"United Twentyonefortyone, out of fourteenhundred climbing to
fiftyfive."

That's just a minor nit, though - US radio traffic is full of
non-standard stuff.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)