Float Plane and Pilot lost

Old November 17th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

Default Float Plane and Pilot lost

When we heard the Announcement on TV that a float plane had crashed
on Wixom Lake (Just NW of Midland MI) I told Joyce it had to be some
one we knew.

A float plane had departed Midland Barstow (3BS) in the afternoon and
as time wore on he appeared to be late getting back, but as with most
pilots he could have gone any where. Unfortunately it turned out to
be Marty.

The story http://www.ourmidland.com/site/news.asp?brd=2289 requires
registration but they don't send out adds or give out your address.

Marty Witkop had been practicing on Wixom Lake when the crash
occurred. No one saw it. Floating objects which turned out to be the
pontoons were reported near the dam. Only when officials went out did
they discover the airplane under them.

Marty was one of those guys who was always there to help. He took care
of the hangars for EAA Chapter 1093 and he was active at Oshkosh
nearly every year.

Marty was also a careful/cautious pilot who made certain he had proper
training and had the dream of flying his own seaplane. He's sure
going to be missed by many over a very wide area.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old November 18th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

"Roger (K8RI)" wrote:

When we heard the Announcement on TV that a float plane had crashed
on Wixom Lake (Just NW of Midland MI) I told Joyce it had to be some
one we knew.

Roger, I am very sorry to read of this accident. My thoughts go out to
you, his other friends, and most importantly his family.

By the way, I was able to read the story linked of that page without having
to register.

--
Peter
Old November 18th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 21:22:05 -0500, "Peter R."
wrote:

"Roger (K8RI)" wrote:

When we heard the Announcement on TV that a float plane had crashed
on Wixom Lake (Just NW of Midland MI) I told Joyce it had to be some
one we knew.

Roger, I am very sorry to read of this accident. My thoughts go out to
you, his other friends, and most importantly his family.

By the way, I was able to read the story linked of that page without having
to register.

The print version had a photo of the plane once it had been righted
and towed to shore.