EAA plans major building expansion?

Old June 7th 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Hawkeye[_2_]

Default EAA plans major building expansion?

Paying to park isn't a problem if it is reasonable. Two bucks is cool,
but when you go over five it is hard to take, especially when you get
to the admissions gate and they sting you again. Maybe some sort of
plan to credit you back the parking fee when you purchase your daily
or weekly pass. Those purchasing a weekly pass should have parking for
the week inclusive with their pass...especially members!

The air show crowd line needs to be addressed too. They need to figure
a way to get the 1500 foot minimum so jets and jet teams can again
perform.

Though the convention grounds are clean, they were much cleaner before
the widespread arrival of food venues within the display area. Trash
and aircraft don't mix. I don't know how many times I witness and
chewed ass of people tucking their trash into aircraft or equipment.
Smoking on and around the aircraft is another sore subject with
me...on a hot summer day, some of these dumba**es light up under the
wing of an aircraft thats venting fuel!!!

The grounds need to be smoke free. A fire started in the dry grass
will destroy or damage too much too fast, especially if an aircraft is
venting fuel from expansion acting as an accelerant.

Old June 8th 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Dow (Remove CAPS in address)

Hawkeye wrote:
Paying to park isn't a problem if it is reasonable. Two bucks is cool,
but when you go over five it is hard to take

I believe last year it was USD 7

Those purchasing a weekly pass should have parking for
the week inclusive with their pass...especially members!

The logistical problem would be what to do on the first day since you
would have to pay for parking before paying admission. My point is that
the money collection needlessly slows down the process of getting in.

They need to figure a way to get the 1500 foot minimum so jets and jet
teams can again perform.

Personally I think there are enough jets at the EAA Convention already.
Although I did go to a seminar at Sun N Fun where a team is trying to
get funding for development of a low bypass engine that would be
efficient on a 4 passenger plane flying at about 15K ft.
http://www.airspacemag.com/flight-to..._turbines.html
I live in an area that usually has a big military show nearby (Westover
/ Westfield, MA) so I get to see a major team anyway, but I can see
where people wouldn't have another change to see them.

I don't know how many times I witness and
chewed ass of people tucking their trash into aircraft or equipment.

Sheez! I didn't think the people there were such jerks. I hadn't seen
that, but the past couple years I haven't spent much time on the flight
line. The Protect Our Planes volunteers are among the most important there.
Old June 9th 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Tom Wait

"Hawkeye" wrote
Paying to park isn't a problem if it is reasonable. Two bucks is cool,
but when you go over five it is hard to take, especially when you get
to the admissions gate and they sting you again. Maybe some sort of
plan to credit you back the parking fee when you purchase your daily
or weekly pass. Those purchasing a weekly pass should have parking for
the week inclusive with their pass...especially members!

I've been volunteering at OSH for about 20 years, mostly selling admissions
and memberships. I've heard every complaint about the cost at least a
thousand times. If you want to enjoy our dairy air in the summer wait a
month and drive fifty miles north to Green Bay and attend a Packer game.
Great entertainment. It'll only cost about $20-$25 for parking $200 for a
good seat, and $7 for a beer. After 3-1/2 hours you go home. Or come to
Airventure. Pay $7 to park, about $25 for the best seat in the house, great
entertainment from the best in the world and stay all day and all night if
you choose. The flightline is never closed.

The air show crowd line needs to be addressed too. They need to figure
a way to get the 1500 foot minimum so jets and jet teams can again
perform.

I spoke to Tom last year about the Angels or T-birds performing. He said
there's no way to make enough room.

If you want to see the Thunderbirds, they will be in Milwakee July 12-13.
See them for free on your way to Airventure. The Blue Angels will be in
Duluth July 19-20. Spend the extra time before the convention volunteering.
You'll make a bunch of new friends comprised of the best people on the
planet, air heads one and all, and you'll get a warm and fuzzy fealing from
havng been a part of the greatest show on earth.

Though the convention grounds are clean, they were much cleaner before
the widespread arrival of food venues within the display area. Trash
and aircraft don't mix. I don't know how many times I witness and
chewed ass of people tucking their trash into aircraft or equipment.
Smoking on and around the aircraft is another sore subject with
me...on a hot summer day, some of these dumba**es light up under the
wing of an aircraft thats venting fuel!!!

The convention grounds are the cleanest venue I've ever seen with 80-100 K
people roaming around. It's not spotless, but the POP crews and G-men do
their best to keep it nice. I think they do a damn fine job. Chewing out
someones ass for littering isn't a good way of dealing with the occasional
slob. Picking up the trash yourself and reminding the guilty party to help
keep Airventure clean will guilt load them so maybe in the future they'll be
more careful. Bitching can make them angry, so next time they do it to spite
you.

The grounds need to be smoke free. A fire started in the dry grass
will destroy or damage too much too fast, especially if an aircraft is
venting fuel from expansion acting as an accelerant.

The groundss are smoke free. That's the rule anyway. I worked POP for two
years and it was my job to look for smokers and pick up trash. I saw little
of either. The smokers invariably light up without thinking and are very
cooperative when politely reminded to snuff it.

Nuff said,
Tom

Old June 11th 08, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Hawkeye[_2_]

I've been attending EAA since the early seventies. I can remember
parking at the base of the now "old" control tower watching the show
from the roof of the car. Yes, AirVenture is probably the best in all
areas...especially cleanliness.

EAA has experienced lows and highs over the course of time I've been
attending. The recent changes were done to make the event more
appealing to a broader attendance base. In slow years, the attendance
showed that more non-traditional attendees were needed. So, the
format, attractions and marketing strategies changed accordingly. I
understand the logic behind having exhibitors such as Ford there for
economic support but it did change the flavor somewhat.

During years where there isn't a "big ticket" appearance such as the
Concorde, Harrier or Warbirds (big show) attendance suffered. If it
doesn't go fast, shoot or drop bombs many don't care. Unlike the core
of EAA's members who appreciate all aspects of aerospace and aviation.
Having the "teams" appear such as the Snowbirds did draws a huge
amount of spectators who normally wouldn't attend. Their attendance
means revenue for not only EAA but the community.

Sure one could travel to Milwaukee to see the Thunderbirds, but there
are those who don't want to venture into the heart of a large
unfamiliar city with all of its nuances. Places like Oshkosh are more
accessible and less intimidating.

With any entertainment venue, Packers, Brewers, Concerts...what
ever...spectators want as much bang for their buck as they can get,
especially in these tight economic times. The economic impact of a
community which hosts a large event...such as an airshow that features
a major attraction, suffers when the main attraction fails to show up
or perform. Disappointed spectators take their money home with them.
They also give deep consideration to return again. Human nature.

Is AirVenture perfect...no. Is there room for improvement...yes. Will
I continue to support EAA...yes as long as they continue to listen to
the membership and strive to improve, thus thrive.

See ya at AirVenture...I'm the one with the strange hat, T-Shirt with
an airplane on the back, shorts with lots of pockets, two cameras
around my neck, scanner to my ear, lawn chair under my arm and a smile
on my face!
Old June 12th 08, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Hawkeye" wrote in message ...

See ya at AirVenture...I'm the one with the strange hat, T-Shirt with
an airplane on the back, shorts with lots of pockets, two cameras
around my neck, scanner to my ear, lawn chair under my arm and a smile
on my face!

Sounds like I just looked in hte mirror!

Old June 12th 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Tom Wait

"Hawkeye" wrote

See ya at AirVenture...I'm the one with the strange hat, T-Shirt with
an airplane on the back, shorts with lots of pockets, two cameras
around my neck, scanner to my ear, lawn chair under my arm and a smile
on my face!

You'll look like 75% of the rest of the crowd! I'll be the bald guy selling
admissions at gate E-17 every morning, lost in space in the afternoon. Stop
by and say 'hi' while your there.
Tom

Old June 12th 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Hawkeye[_2_]

It could be worse...Skoal sleeveless T-Shirt, mullet, ultra short
denim cutoffs taking pictures with a camera phone while holding a
beer. ROTFL
Old June 12th 08, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Tom Wait

"Hawkeye" wrote in message
It could be worse...Skoal sleeveless T-Shirt, mullet, ultra short
denim cutoffs taking pictures with a camera phone while holding a
beer. ROTFL

I saw him last year. We took away his beer.
Tom