Jeppesen Garmin Nav Updates

Old October 15th 09, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default Jeppesen Garmin Nav Updates

BeechSundowner wrote:

We live in the computer age and you can't tell me alot of this stuff
hasn't become automated over time......

That's correct, I am unable to tell you the facts.
Old October 15th 09, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Marco L wrote:

If there really is a market for someone else, that should be good news to
someone reading this. However, my gut tells me it will sound like a good
idea until the quote for liability insurance arrives.

Marco

Jeppesen was in dire straights because of all the litigation they
constantly face. Had the LA Times not sold them to Boeing they would
likely be out of business by now.
Old October 15th 09, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mike Adams[_2_]

BeechSundowner wrote:

I use a program called ATP (Aviator Trip Pack)

http://cmensys.com/ is the program I use. At this point, I am using
version one for my IFR planning as I haven't quite bought into the
Google mapping part. Program author EXTREMELY responsive to input
and version two is still work in progress. Cost? Freeware.

I agree completely. This is a great program, and it's FREE. I found the new version to be much more
intuitive and easy to use, with excellent support from the developer.

Mike
Old October 15th 09, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Marco L

"Sam Spade" wrote in message

Jeppesen was in dire straights because of all the litigation they
constantly face. Had the LA Times not sold them to Boeing they would
likely be out of business by now.

Did not know that. Interesting info Sam. Thanks.

Old October 15th 09, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Marco L

"BeechSundowner" wrote in message

I don't fly everyday and that subscription price per use is
rediculous. I am not arguing with you in that there should't be a
subscription price, but aviation is being gouged.

What's really at issue here is the 28-day cycle. For the database to be
up-to-date for that (approx) one day that you fly, it will be up-to-date for
the other 27 days. Sounds like what you want is a per trip update system at
an appropriate price. Other than to change the cycle to daily, the only
other way is to put an expiration on the database where you can't use it.
That's a major software and TSO certification change and a lot of work for
very little cost benefit.

We simply need more pilots and more airplanes in the system. It will fix a
number of cost issues.

Marco

Old October 15th 09, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Mike Adams wrote:
BeechSundowner wrote:

I use a program called ATP (Aviator Trip Pack)

http://cmensys.com/ is the program I use. At this point, I am using
version one for my IFR planning as I haven't quite bought into the
Google mapping part. Program author EXTREMELY responsive to input
and version two is still work in progress. Cost? Freeware.

I agree completely. This is a great program, and it's FREE. I found the new version to be much more
intuitive and easy to use, with excellent support from the developer.

Mike

So, no one pays for it?
Old October 15th 09, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mike Adams[_2_]

Sam Spade wrote:

Mike Adams wrote:
BeechSundowner wrote:

I use a program called ATP (Aviator Trip Pack)

So, no one pays for it?

Not that I can tell. I asked the developer if this is just a hobby, or if he hopes go commercial with it
eventually, but never got a clear answer. It's very capable for freeware. I would expect it to at least follow
the shareware pricing model to generate a little revenue, but it's totally freeware for now.

Mike

Old October 15th 09, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Oct 15, 10:10*am, Mike Adams wrote:

Not that I can tell. I asked the developer if this is just a hobby, or if he hopes go commercial with it
eventually, but never got a clear answer. It's very capable for freeware. I would expect it to at least follow
the shareware pricing model to generate a little revenue, but it's totally freeware for now.

Mike

It used to be shareware and the developer went to freeware.
Old October 15th 09, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Oct 15, 9:16*am, Sam Spade wrote:

So, no one pays for it?-

Dunno about you...

If you paid for freeware, you were scalped.
Old October 15th 09, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Oct 15, 9:05*am, "Marco L" mmleon(AT)yahoo.com wrote:

What's really at issue here is the 28-day cycle. For the database to be
up-to-date for that (approx) one day that you fly, it will be up-to-date for
the other 27 days.

Providing of course I fly in the beginning of the cycle. If I depart
on day 27 and return 3 days later, the card is out of date. This has
not happened to me but can happen.

Ironically, from personal observations, very little is changed that is
housed on the data card in the few airports I have frequented. I have
seen frequency changes, runway length changes and the such, but in my
7 years of instrument
flying I have only seen one fix change. (TUP was changed to OTB)

Obviously, I better know the runway and frequency changes before
getting into the plane, but on the off chance a divert is needed, the
data card would need to be current for a non eventful outcome IF and a
big IF I depended on the data card for flight decision making. Since
I print all approach plates for airports enroute, I don't depend on
the data card.

The data that I see constantly change that is not housed on the Garmin
430 data card are the minimums so all the CRITICAL information I need
on an approach isn't even on the card!

Other than to change the cycle to daily, the only
other way is to put an expiration on the database where you can't use it.
That's a major software and TSO certification change and a lot of work for
very little cost benefit.

We simply need more pilots and more airplanes in the system. It will fix a
number of cost issues.

I agree with all that you say above, and again, I expect cost to be
incurred in getting access to this host of valuable information but
$300+ for one GPS approach that never got executed was a big expense
to incur this year.

Yep I also agree, more GPS equipped planes would be helpful in the
supply and demand :-) but along with bringing down the price of GPS
data cards, we need to bring down the cost of maintaining our birds to
beef up that supply and demand needs of GPS cards.

Jeppesen Garmin Nav Updates Jas Piloting 0 October 11th 09 08:14 PM
jeppesen updates for the Garmin waas units me[_1_] Instrument Flight Rules 11 March 15th 07 03:09 AM
Garmin updates Jules Piloting 3 December 20th 06 08:09 PM
Garmin 430 Jeppesen Skybound updates John Doe Piloting 17 November 30th 05 04:50 AM
Garmin 430 Jeppesen Skybound updates John Doe Owning 17 November 30th 05 04:50 AM