Ipad review - Weather briefing Part 1 - Video

Old June 7th 10, 12:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Herbert Paulis

Default Ipad review - Weather briefing Part 1 - Video

I have also considered using the iPad for my flying but it says in its specs
that it is only certified for operation up to 3000m, i.e. roughly 10,000ft.
This in my optinion severly limits its usage for flying, together with the
missing GPS.

regards
Herbert

schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Foreflight app review on the Ipad - Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRCNkZuxWTo

No relation to company or programmer, just one pilots view of the
program. A viewer of my previous Ipad video had put a comment asking
me to put screen shots of this program and I obliged.

I will say the program sets the bar on flight planning preparation and
must have been a pilot for the ease of use both in flight planning and
the potential for in plane use of the Ipad.

10 minute video covers what I perceive are the wow factors of the
program. Hope somebody finds this video useful in evaluating the
program and or Ipad for their flight purposes.

Old June 8th 10, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Ohhh, good information Herbert,

I knew some hard drives had that limitation but never thought to check
into that for the Ipad.

Ipad does have a GPS that runs independent of 3G and wireless. I
tested it by turning off the 3G and wireless and it worked. I would
not suggest depending on it in flight even as a back up though as it's
accuracy fluctuation was too big (up to 200 foot) With 3G and
wireless assist, the GPS function is dead on.

I will also say after yesterday using the Ipad in my car that the
screen reflection on a sunny day was very, very annoying. I was able
to tilt it in such a way to reduce the reflection and could easily
read it but I can't imagine me having that much flexibility in the
cockpit of a plane especially above a cloud deck when it would be
ultra bright above and below me.

Old June 17th 10, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Blanche

The iPad does not have a spinning hard drive, so the altitude limitation
is false. It is a solid state drive(SSD). And the 10K ft limit is solely due
to laziness on the part of both marketing & the lawyers. Spinning HDs
have the 10K limit due to air pressure (avoid head crashes) but
no problems with SSDs.

Think about it....the Mars Rovers are in atmospheric pressure far
less than 10K and are doing just fine (or did for many years) Why?
Because they're using SSDs.

http://www.bitmicro.com/press_resources_defying.php

http://www.phenxint.com/what/VS1-250...eet%202-09.pdf

http://macperformanceguide.com/Stora...-Overview.html