Flying while deaf

Old September 26th 04, 03:41 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Rocky" wrote in message
om...

I trained a couple of pilots who were deaf and they often went into
controlled airports. It was done via flight plans in which the
destination airport was advised NO RADIO and the pilots look for light
signals on arrival downwind.

Where was this? In the US VFR flight plans are not sent to ATC facilities.

Old September 26th 04, 03:42 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"bryan chaisone" wrote in message
om...

Let me clarify my question. As a rated pilot, I am aware of the use
of light signals when your radio is out. My question should have been
'Are there ways for a deaf pilot to communicate with ATC other than
using light signals?'.

Nope.

Old September 26th 04, 04:02 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jim Carter" wrote in message

When a private company like Phillips Petroleum operates the control
tower is it still considered a control tower?

Yes. There are many Non Federal Control Towers and FAA Contract Towers in
the US operated by private companies. They follow the same
rules as FAA and military towers, their controllers are issued a Control
Tower Operator certificate by the FAA.

They offer advisories but caution you they are not controlling traffic at
Bartlesville, Oklahoma. Neither are they part of ATC, however they
will open and close clearances as a courtesy. Things may have
changed because I haven't been there in a while, but there are still
privately operated towers around the country aren't there?

If they don't control traffic it's not a control tower, for that's what
control towers do. From the Pilot/Controller Glossary:

TOWER- A terminal facility that uses air/ground communications, visual
signaling, and other devices to provide ATC services to aircraft operating
in the vicinity of an airport or on the movement area. Authorizes aircraft
to land or takeoff at the airport controlled by the tower or to transit the
Class D airspace area regardless of flight plan or weather conditions (IFR
or VFR). A tower may also provide approach control services (radar or
nonradar).

The link below will open to a portion of the Kansas City Sectional showing
Bartlesville. Bartlesville Municipal Airport is depicted as a nontowered
field.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?I11143169

Old September 26th 04, 09:39 PM
Robert M. Gary

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message link.net...
"bryan chaisone" wrote in message
om...

How does one communicate with ATC when one is deaf?

Via light gun signals.

I thought the medical exemption for deaf pilots stipulated no flight
when communication with ATC is required.

-Robert
Old September 26th 04, 09:40 PM
Robert M. Gary

"Steve R." wrote in message ...
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Steve R." wrote in message

How does one communicate with ATC when one is deaf?

Via light gun signals.

That's for communications with the control tower at a controlled field
airport, not ATC!

It's not ATC that staffs control towers?

Maybe, but if the guy is 20 miles out and needing clearance to enter the
airport traffic area, he's not going to be able to "see" the signal lights
very well, is he? What if he needs to transit a Class B airspace to get to
the controlled field? If he can't hear, he can't communicate with ATC,
thus, he can't get clearance. I've got to wonder if this one isn't a scam.

Signal lights are for short range, visual communications and there's no use
for them outside the airport traffic area.

From a practical matter, how does the deaf pilot report 10 miles out
without steeping on other transmissions? Is there a device for this?

-Robert
Old September 27th 04, 01:26 AM
Andrew Gideon

Cub Driver wrote:

Since I had to get a SODA to fly with monocular vision (left eye blind
for all practical purposes), I have to believe that a deaf pilot also
has a SODA, and that it restricts what airspace he can enter.

My club has two of our aircraft at an untowered airport, which is a little
unusual around here. As a result, we entertained a deaf pilot considering
membership a number of months ago.

Actually, it was more the other way around. He spoke to us (through a sign
interpreter) about his unique experiences.

My understanding is that an instrument rating and such is an impossibility
for him, and that he is restricted - as you suggested - to airspace which
doesn't require communication.

I don't whether anyone thought to ask whether he could fly into class D
airspace given the proper light-gun signals. But given the frequency of
clubs at class D airports around here, I'd have to guess "not".

BTW, I recently spoke to another pilot that used a hearing aid. I was
surprised to hear that he cannot pass a class two physical. Apparently,
while it is permissible to require corrected vision, corrected hearing is
not permissible.

Anyone know why? Is it the electronic/powered nature of the correction?
Something else?

- Andrew

Old September 27th 04, 01:39 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz *AT* adelphia *DOT* net wrote in
message ...

But wouldn't that rule out even Delta airspace?

Since you need 2-way radio comms to enter class Delta, I'd say yes..

Well, then, the light guns in those towers would seem to have no purpose.

Old September 27th 04, 03:16 AM
Peter Duniho

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...
[...]
BTW, I recently spoke to another pilot that used a hearing aid. I was
surprised to hear that he cannot pass a class two physical. Apparently,
while it is permissible to require corrected vision, corrected hearing is
not permissible.

Anyone know why? Is it the electronic/powered nature of the correction?
Something else?

I expect that's at least part of it; vision correction is passive, while
hearing "correction" is active. Another issue is probably that, while
vision can be corrected to a specific standard, AFAIK hearing cannot. All a
hearing aid can do is amplify the sound, but volume may not address the
entire scope of the hearing problem.

It's probably more like trying to get a medical when you have cataracts than
it is when you are nearsighted.

Pete

Old September 27th 04, 01:28 PM
Rocky

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message nk.net...
"Rocky" wrote in message
om...

I trained a couple of pilots who were deaf and they often went into
controlled airports. It was done via flight plans in which the
destination airport was advised NO RADIO and the pilots look for light
signals on arrival downwind.

Where was this? In the US VFR flight plans are not sent to ATC facilities.

Are you now splitting hairs? I thought the whole idea of the original
post was how does a deaf pilot get along with no radio communication.
In the overall scheme of things, isn't FSS, Tower Apch/Dep control,
Center, all on the radio part of ATC? Go ahead and split hairs. What
is air traffic control if it isn't control of aircraft in the air? I'm
impressed by your posts and challenges but are they very useful?
Geeeeezzzoooooh
Old September 27th 04, 01:37 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Rocky" wrote in message
om...

Are you now splitting hairs?

I don't think so.

I thought the whole idea of the original post was how does a deaf pilot
get along with no radio communication. In the overall scheme of things,
isn't FSS, Tower Apch/Dep control, Center, all on the radio part of
ATC?

No.

Go ahead and split hairs. What is air traffic control if it isn't control
of
aircraft in the air? I'm impressed by your posts and challenges but are
they very useful?

It can also be control of aircraft on the ground, as is provided by control
towers at controlled fields. Towers, TRACONs, and Centers control aircraft
in the air, FSSs do not.

Geeeeezzzoooooh

I'm not familiar with that term.