A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Parachute source for gliders and winches



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 31st 18, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 351
Default Parachute source for gliders and winches

Saw the ad in the AMA flyer for their Expo in Pomona. SSA Region 12 has a presence there.
AMA Expo:
https://amablog.modelaircraft.org/am...m-2018-web.pdf

Fruity Chutes looks like a good source for chutes, including ballistic chutes.
Anything from 12" diameter up.
Jim

https://fruitychutes.com/
Ads
  #2  
Old November 2nd 18, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 229
Default Parachute source for gliders and winches

In case you did not know it, there are many small (~3 foot diameter) parachutes available for minimal cost on Amazon, Walmart.com, etc. Search on running parachutes, drag chutes, exercise parachutes, etc. They are used to add drag to increase effort during exercise.
  #3  
Old November 2nd 18, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 162
Default Parachute source for gliders and winches

On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 09:06:05 -0700, JS wrote:

Saw the ad in the AMA flyer for their Expo in Pomona. SSA Region 12 has
a presence there.
AMA Expo:
https://amablog.modelaircraft.org/am...8/10/expowest-

program-2018-web.pdf

Fruity Chutes looks like a good source for chutes, including ballistic
chutes.
Anything from 12" diameter up.
Jim

https://fruitychutes.com/


The Fruity chutes I looked at would all be unlikely to survive their
first winch launch: thie all emphasized light weight, which is exactly
what you don't want for winching. The winch parachute is inline between
cable and shock cord. The tension being carried through the 'chute keeps
it closed during the 60-65 knot launch, when the 'underside' of the
'chute is facing the winch and the shock cord, connecting chute to
glider, it attached to the top centre of its bell. If the launch didn't
finish it off a light weight chute, then being dragged back to the winch
after the launch would probably do the trick.

That is why traditional winch chutes are made of heavy duty canvas with
typically four shrouds made of 50-75mm heavy duty webbing sewn onto the
shock cord attachment at the centre of the chute. Current manufacture
chutes often use plastic fabric, but its just as thick as the canvas it
replaces.


--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
  #4  
Old November 11th 18, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,370
Default Parachute source for gliders and winches

On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 7:05:15 PM UTC-4, Soartech wrote:
In case you did not know it, there are many small (~3 foot diameter) parachutes available for minimal cost on Amazon, Walmart.com, etc. Search on running parachutes, drag chutes, exercise parachutes, etc. They are used to add drag to increase effort during exercise.


The parachutes used at the end of the winch cable need to be very heavy duty.
They get dragged along the ground at high speed when the line is rewound onto the spools after the glider releases.

One time I stress-tested the parachute by putting it into a fast moving river that ran parallel to the runway. Newbie me did not adequately compensate for a strong crosswind on a 2000 foot AGL launch. The parachute opened and caught the current.
  #5  
Old November 11th 18, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 49
Default Parachute source for gliders and winches

On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 6:18:55 PM UTC-6, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 09:06:05 -0700, JS wrote:

Saw the ad in the AMA flyer for their Expo in Pomona. SSA Region 12 has
a presence there.
AMA Expo:
https://amablog.modelaircraft.org/am...8/10/expowest-

program-2018-web.pdf

Fruity Chutes looks like a good source for chutes, including ballistic
chutes.
Anything from 12" diameter up.
Jim

https://fruitychutes.com/


The Fruity chutes I looked at would all be unlikely to survive their
first winch launch: thie all emphasized light weight, which is exactly
what you don't want for winching. The winch parachute is inline between
cable and shock cord. The tension being carried through the 'chute keeps
it closed during the 60-65 knot launch, when the 'underside' of the
'chute is facing the winch and the shock cord, connecting chute to
glider, it attached to the top centre of its bell. If the launch didn't
finish it off a light weight chute, then being dragged back to the winch
after the launch would probably do the trick.

That is why traditional winch chutes are made of heavy duty canvas with
typically four shrouds made of 50-75mm heavy duty webbing sewn onto the
shock cord attachment at the centre of the chute. Current manufacture
chutes often use plastic fabric, but its just as thick as the canvas it
replaces.


--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org


What Martin said..

Try this for a (relatively) cheap 'chute. Bite the bullet and buy one Tost small winch 'chute and take it to your local rigger and ask how much to make a replica. There's a good chance that will be much less than what you paid for the 1st 'chute.
  #6  
Old November 11th 18, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 330
Default Parachute source for gliders and winches

On Saturday, November 10, 2018 at 9:54:22 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 6:18:55 PM UTC-6, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 09:06:05 -0700, JS wrote:

Saw the ad in the AMA flyer for their Expo in Pomona. SSA Region 12 has
a presence there.
AMA Expo:
https://amablog.modelaircraft.org/am...8/10/expowest-

program-2018-web.pdf

Fruity Chutes looks like a good source for chutes, including ballistic
chutes.
Anything from 12" diameter up.
Jim

https://fruitychutes.com/


The Fruity chutes I looked at would all be unlikely to survive their
first winch launch: thie all emphasized light weight, which is exactly
what you don't want for winching. The winch parachute is inline between
cable and shock cord. The tension being carried through the 'chute keeps
it closed during the 60-65 knot launch, when the 'underside' of the
'chute is facing the winch and the shock cord, connecting chute to
glider, it attached to the top centre of its bell. If the launch didn't
finish it off a light weight chute, then being dragged back to the winch
after the launch would probably do the trick.

That is why traditional winch chutes are made of heavy duty canvas with
typically four shrouds made of 50-75mm heavy duty webbing sewn onto the
shock cord attachment at the centre of the chute. Current manufacture
chutes often use plastic fabric, but its just as thick as the canvas it
replaces.


--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org


What Martin said..

Try this for a (relatively) cheap 'chute. Bite the bullet and buy one Tost small winch 'chute and take it to your local rigger and ask how much to make a replica. There's a good chance that will be much less than what you paid for the 1st 'chute.


We have been using this type of military surplus chute for years now and they hold up very well. The trick is to 'fly' the chute reasonably close to the winch and then drop it but not drag it over the ground.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-UNISSUE...-1:rk:140:pf:0

Unfortunately, they have become harder and harder to find. Fortunately, I bought a few at a surplus store in TX, when they still had them. ;-)

Uli
'AS'
  #7  
Old November 11th 18, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,346
Default Parachute source for gliders and winches

That's less expensive than a drag chute used in drag racing.¬* And for
our Brit friends, drag racing is not men in dresses and high heels
running a foot race... :-D

On 11/10/2018 7:54 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 6:18:55 PM UTC-6, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 09:06:05 -0700, JS wrote:

Saw the ad in the AMA flyer for their Expo in Pomona. SSA Region 12 has
a presence there.
AMA Expo:
https://amablog.modelaircraft.org/am...8/10/expowest-
program-2018-web.pdf
Fruity Chutes looks like a good source for chutes, including ballistic
chutes.
Anything from 12" diameter up.
Jim

https://fruitychutes.com/

The Fruity chutes I looked at would all be unlikely to survive their
first winch launch: thie all emphasized light weight, which is exactly
what you don't want for winching. The winch parachute is inline between
cable and shock cord. The tension being carried through the 'chute keeps
it closed during the 60-65 knot launch, when the 'underside' of the
'chute is facing the winch and the shock cord, connecting chute to
glider, it attached to the top centre of its bell. If the launch didn't
finish it off a light weight chute, then being dragged back to the winch
after the launch would probably do the trick.

That is why traditional winch chutes are made of heavy duty canvas with
typically four shrouds made of 50-75mm heavy duty webbing sewn onto the
shock cord attachment at the centre of the chute. Current manufacture
chutes often use plastic fabric, but its just as thick as the canvas it
replaces.


--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

What Martin said..

Try this for a (relatively) cheap 'chute. Bite the bullet and buy one Tost small winch 'chute and take it to your local rigger and ask how much to make a replica. There's a good chance that will be much less than what you paid for the 1st 'chute.


--
Dan, 5J
  #8  
Old November 11th 18, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,346
Default Parachute source for gliders and winches

Credit to Monty Python...

On 11/11/2018 9:26 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
That's less expensive than a drag chute used in drag racing.¬* And for
our Brit friends, drag racing is not men in dresses and high heels
running a foot race... :-D

On 11/10/2018 7:54 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 6:18:55 PM UTC-6, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 09:06:05 -0700, JS wrote:

Saw the ad in the AMA flyer for their Expo in Pomona. SSA Region 12
has
a presence there.
AMA Expo:
https://amablog.modelaircraft.org/am...8/10/expowest-
program-2018-web.pdf
Fruity Chutes looks like a good source for chutes, including ballistic
chutes.
Anything from 12" diameter up.
Jim

https://fruitychutes.com/
The Fruity chutes I looked at would all be unlikely to survive their
first winch launch: thie all emphasized light weight, which is exactly
what you don't want for winching. The winch parachute is inline between
cable and shock cord. The tension being carried through the 'chute
keeps
it closed during the 60-65 knot launch, when the 'underside' of the
'chute is facing the winch and the shock cord, connecting chute to
glider, it attached to the top centre of its bell. If the launch didn't
finish it off a light weight chute, then being dragged back to the
winch
after the launch would probably do the trick.

That is why traditional winch chutes are made of heavy duty canvas with
typically four shrouds made of 50-75mm heavy duty webbing sewn onto the
shock cord attachment at the centre of the chute. Current manufacture
chutes often use plastic fabric, but its just as thick as the canvas it
replaces.


--
Martin¬*¬*¬* | martin at
Gregorie¬* | gregorie dot org

What Martin said..

Try this for a (relatively) cheap 'chute.¬* Bite the bullet and buy
one Tost small winch 'chute and take it to your local rigger and ask
how much to make a replica.¬* There's a good chance that will be much
less than what you paid for the 1st 'chute.



--
Dan, 5J
  #9  
Old November 11th 18, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,037
Default Parachute source for gliders and winches

You talking RuPaul....?!?!
LOL......

If talking to Brits, be careful of fags or faggots......quite a bit different in the US than "Queens English"......;-)
[cigarettes or meatballs....in order.....]
  #10  
Old November 11th 18, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 162
Default Parachute source for gliders and winches

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 09:26:01 -0700, Dan Marotta wrote:

That's less expensive than a drag chute used in drag racing.¬* And for
our Brit friends, drag racing is not men in dresses and high heels
running a foot race... :-D

..... but think of the possibilities if it was a hurdle race, the runners
were dressed in drag chutes and allowed to handbag each other while
hurdling. Who knows, that could be the latest teevee blockbuster.


--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Parachute use in single seat gliders [email protected] Soaring 13 May 20th 16 04:14 PM
Anyone got a source... Jay Honeck[_2_] Home Built 12 November 17th 09 02:47 AM
SH-2F Seasprite from HSL-31 winches up its sonar Dave Kearton Aviation Photos 17 March 6th 07 05:10 AM
Source Mu Metal USA HL Falbaum Soaring 6 April 12th 06 03:53 PM
Winches (was Aerotow with Diesel engine? [email protected] Soaring 20 October 30th 04 05:27 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2018 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.