New LAK 17C

Old November 7th 18, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

Default New LAK 17C

LAK's facebook page details a flight test of the new LAK 17C - yet gives
scant few details about the new model. Anybody know how it differs
from the B are they using the variable geometry miniflaps they have
ben testing on a B model?

Old November 7th 18, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Thomson[_2_]

At 16:58 07 November 2018, Paul T wrote:
LAK's facebook page details a flight test of the new LAK 17C - yet

gives
scant few details about the new model. Anybody know how it

differs
from the B are they using the variable geometry miniflaps they

have
ben testing on a B model?

The UK Dealer told me it is a self launching version of the 17b

FES. Some mods made to facilitate self launch, taller U/C for prop
clearance and larger battery. The wing incidence at the root is
increased to improve climb performance.

Old November 10th 18, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron (Sr)

On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 9:00:07 AM UTC-8, Paul T wrote:
LAK's facebook page details a flight test of the new LAK 17C - yet gives
scant few details about the new model. Anybody know how it differs
from the B are they using the variable geometry miniflaps they have
ben testing on a B model?

I was in Lithuania last month and flew a modified LAK 17B 18 meter with self-launch capability at the LAK factory. I self-launched easily on a fairly short paved runway. My understanding is that the only major modification was installation of two new battery packs with 2 additional lithium cells each. The added horsepower was all that was needed to turn a sustainer into a self-launch.
Matt Herron
Old November 11th 18, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Saturday, November 10, 2018 at 11:49:33 AM UTC-8, Matt Herron (Sr) wrote:
On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 9:00:07 AM UTC-8, Paul T wrote:
LAK's facebook page details a flight test of the new LAK 17C - yet gives
scant few details about the new model. Anybody know how it differs
from the B are they using the variable geometry miniflaps they have
ben testing on a B model?

I was in Lithuania last month and flew a modified LAK 17B 18 meter with self-launch capability at the LAK factory. I self-launched easily on a fairly short paved runway. My understanding is that the only major modification was installation of two new battery packs with 2 additional lithium cells each. The added horsepower was all that was needed to turn a sustainer into a self-launch.
Matt Herron

Sustainers do not have throttles, whereas a self launcher would need a throttle.
Old November 11th 18, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I think the LAK-17bFES had a rheostat for motor speed control; not
simply On/Off.Â* Of course the one parked in the hangar across from me
has been sold and the Ventus-3FES from the same hangar is... Well, you
know...

--
Dan, 5J
Old November 11th 18, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

Jonathan was probably thinking two-stroke engine, not an electric.
Matt, anything more to add? The Facebook post hints that the C's wing profile has "big" changes over the B's (LAK's response), yet you're thinking is that the changes were only to the battery pack? Did the factory give any indication on when it may go into production and/or at what price?
Old November 11th 18, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Sunday, November 11, 2018 at 12:41:13 PM UTC-8, Duster wrote:
Jonathan was probably thinking two-stroke engine, not an electric.
Matt, anything more to add? The Facebook post hints that the C's wing profile has "big" changes over the B's (LAK's response), yet you're thinking is that the changes were only to the battery pack? Did the factory give any indication on when it may go into production and/or at what price?

Duster thank you, yes I was thinking of the two-stroke sustainers.
Old November 11th 18, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Thomson[_2_]

=
indication on when it may go into production and/or at what

price?

Duster thank you, yes I was thinking of the two-stroke sustainers.

I have had a 17B FES on order since December 2017, delivery
expected April 2019. I was offered the opportunity to change from
the B to a C, there was a significant price increase for moving to
the C. A price list should be available from your local dealer. I was
advised that the only aerodynamic difference between the B and
the C was an increase in wing incidence near the root and that
new Bs will come with this modification.

Old November 12th 18, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron (Sr)

On Sunday, November 11, 2018 at 12:41:13 PM UTC-8, Duster wrote:
Jonathan was probably thinking two-stroke engine, not an electric.
Matt, anything more to add? The Facebook post hints that the C's wing profile has "big" changes over the B's (LAK's response), yet you're thinking is that the changes were only to the battery pack? Did the factory give any indication on when it may go into production and/or at what price?

What I was flying was an experimental self-launch version of the 17B, not a prototype 17C. I think it's LAK's test vehicle to try out modifications that will go into the 17C. The undercarriage had been modified to allow for more prop clearance. In takeoff it responded remarkably like the MiniLak FES that I flew a few days later.

I doubt that LAK will announce availability and price of the 17C, until just before production begins. They were burned once before when the factory prematurely announced launch of the 17B and then were not able to follow through on orders. Sales of the 17A dried up almost completely.

Matt
Old November 12th 18, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Thomson[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

that I flew a few days later.=20

I doubt that LAK will announce availability and price of the 17C,

until
jus=
t before production begins. They were burned once before when

the factory
p=
rematurely announced launch of the 17B and then were not able

to follow
thr=
ough on orders. Sales of the 17A dried up almost completely.=20

Matt

I have a price list for the 17C, if you are interested contact your
local dealer!