OSH '07 accommodations dilemna

Old June 30th 07, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
bdl

Default OSH '07 accommodations dilemna

Ok, so one of my partners reserves 2 dorm rooms (no A/C this year)
every year for Tuesday - Thursday. This year, however, there are only
3 of us that can make it.

So my dilemna:

1. Take the plane up and camp next to the plane while they take the
remaining dorm room, and then open up the other dorm room to whoever
wants it.

2. Look for a "4th" for that time period from the R.A.P, or greater
OSH airventure community.

3. Just pay the extra dough and push the beds together ;-)

I'm leaning to #1, since I've always wanted to camp at OSH with the
plane. This brings up some issues though, specifically,

1. How "easy" is it to give up a dorm room for 3 days in the middle
of the show like that? I'm assuming that there's some wait list that
would accomodate such a purpose.

2. What is the capacity of the North 40 going to be come Tuesday mid
morning/afternoon? Last year we flew up on that same Tuesday and
general parking was full and I seem to remember camping was full as
well. We had to go to Fond Du :ac, which wasn't an issue then since
one of the partners was driving, etc. But I'd hate to camp at FLD.
That's just too 'out of the way'.

I can probably push my arrival to monday late, but that might mean I'm
flying solo into OSH. Not something I'm too worried about, but with
that many planes it would be good to have another pilot in the plane.

The current plan is for 2 of the partners to fly up, while the 3rd
drives. This provides a car for going to dinner, etc.

So, OSH veterans (this will only be my second show) what should I do?
What's the cost differential for 3 nights of camping vs. 3 in the
dorms?

Brian

Old June 30th 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

bdl wrote:
2. What is the capacity of the North 40 going to be come Tuesday mid
morning/afternoon? Last year we flew up on that same Tuesday and
general parking was full and I seem to remember camping was full as
well. We had to go to Fond Du :ac, which wasn't an issue then since
one of the partners was driving, etc. But I'd hate to camp at FLD.
That's just too 'out of the way'.

Three years ago, the North AND South Forty were close to capacity the
beginning of the week. The past two years, there has been plenty of
space in the South Forty. Granted it is not ideal and has not become as
popular, but there is still space available.
What will it take for the South Forty to become desireable?
Showers, running water and paved shuttle road and service.
It is quieter and attracts a different class of pilots, but they have
tended to come back year after year the last few years.
Old June 30th 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("bdl" wrote)
1. How "easy" is it to give up a dorm room for 3 days in the middle of
the show like that? I'm assuming that there's some wait list that would
accomodate such a purpose.

List it here. It should go quickly.

UW-OSH will switch it for you over the phone - into the new person's name.
Get the $$ in advance from the new person. Now you don't have to worry about
a thing.

2. What is the capacity of the North 40 going to be come Tuesday mid
morning/afternoon? Last year we flew up on that same Tuesday and general
parking was full and I seem to remember camping was full as well.

You should be ok this year. Just a hunch. Get in before 2:00pm.

I can probably push my arrival to monday late, but that might mean I'm
flying solo into OSH. Not something I'm too worried about, but with that
many planes it would be good to have another pilot in the plane.

Fewer pilots in the plane = more camping stuff! g

You have between (approx) 7:00pm and 8:00pm to get in, any evening during
the show. After that the airport is closed for the night. CLOSED! NO
ARRIVALS.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid626910413?bclid=769654339&bctid=769444256
2006 Cessna mass arrival @ OSH

What's the cost differential for 3 nights of camping vs. 3 in the dorms?

Dorm .....$48/night
N40 .......$19/night

http://www.airventure.org/2007/plann..._aircraft.html
You save almost $100 camping by the plane for 3 nights.

Paul-Mont
A little inside info: The AC dorm doesn't fill up until Tue - even though
it's listed as "full".

Old June 30th 07, 05:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("john smith" wrote)
What will it take for the South Forty to become desireable?
Showers, running water and paved shuttle road and service.
It is quieter and attracts a different class of pilots, but they have
tended to come back year after year the last few years.

There was a nice "shower-trailer" there last year. It was by the ultralight
pasture. Near the gate, the (2) pop machines, and the end of the shuttle
line - where the school bus picks you up for the Sea Plane Base.

Paul-Mont

Old June 30th 07, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

What will it take for the South Forty to become desireable?
Showers, running water and paved shuttle road and service.
It is quieter and attracts a different class of pilots, but they have
tended to come back year after year the last few years.

There was a nice "shower-trailer" there last year. It was by the ultralight
pasture. Near the gate, the (2) pop machines, and the end of the shuttle
line - where the school bus picks you up for the Sea Plane Base.

If you're into ultralights, it's not a bad place to be -- but they
don't call the South Forty "North Fond du Lac" for nothing. You are
so far from ANYTHING -- showers, the warbirds, off-field restaurants
and stores -- that you may as well not even be in OSH, as far as I'm
concerned.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 1st 07, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
bdl

On Jun 29, 10:42 pm, "Montblack" Y4_NOT!...
wrote:

List it here. It should go quickly.

And I planned to, if I ended up making that decision. Technically its
not my "week" during OSH so the other partner has the first right of
refusal for the flight up.. But I don't anticipate this to be an
issue.

I was more into getting a general feeling about camping vs. the
Dorms. A somewhat OT example: I traveled to Venice, and while most
of the tour groups would put you into a "modern" hotel on the
mainland, and ferry you out to Venice during the day, we ended up
staying at a B&B. It was amazing the transformation that took place
in Venice after most of the ferry's (with a majority of the tourists!)
all departed for the mainland. A totally different city. While I've
been @OSH after dark, I didn't venture into the N40 at all.

And don't let me get anyone confused. I don't mind camping, and have
spent many a night in the outdoors. Just wanted to get the overall
opinion of whether its better or not.

One plus to camping is that I'd be closer to the R.A.P party.... ;-)

UW-OSH will switch it for you over the phone - into the new person's name.
Get the $$ in advance from the new person. Now you don't have to worry about
a thing.

Good suggestion thanks.

You should be ok this year. Just a hunch. Get in before 2:00pm.

Definetely. We landed last year around 12:30... But that was at FLD.
I'm coming from 1H0 (STL), so its not that long of a flight. My plan
was to be within 20 miles of RIPON by 10:30.

I can probably push my arrival to monday late, but that might mean I'm
flying solo into OSH. Not something I'm too worried about, but with that
many planes it would be good to have another pilot in the plane.

Yeah, and well more room for this big pilot!

Fewer pilots in the plane = more camping stuff! g

Even with another pilot I've got plenty in the W&B envelope.

You have between (approx) 7:00pm and 8:00pm to get in, any evening during
the show. After that the airport is closed for the night. CLOSED! NO
ARRIVALS.

Yeah I know. Good reminder though.

A little inside info: The AC dorm doesn't fill up until Tue - even though
it's listed as "full".

Interesting... I know the partner that made the reservations was
surprised that he got no-AC this year as he didn't last year, and he
thought he made the same request.

Brian

Old July 1st 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Jay Honeck wrote:

If you're into ultralights, it's not a bad place to be -- but they
don't call the South Forty "North Fond du Lac" for nothing. You are
so far from ANYTHING -- showers, the warbirds, off-field restaurants
and stores -- that you may as well not even be in OSH, as far as I'm
concerned.

For someone with a spamcan in the north forty, you can't begin to
understand the ambiance of the vintage parking area :-)

You're no farther from the showers than the north 40 parking. There
are several shower trailers in addition to the fixed showers at the
north end.

You are a long way from Friar Tucks, La Seurs and Wal*Mart, but there
are a few temporary off-site operations set up across from the UL area.
Get there at the right time and you are camped in the middle of the
show.

Warbird proximity has never been a draw for me.
Old July 1st 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tater

On Jun 30, 8:02 pm, bdl wrote:

And don't let me get anyone confused. I don't mind camping, and have
spent many a night in the outdoors. Just wanted to get the overall
opinion of whether its better or not.

not a pilot
camped in scholler every year since 2002 except last year
last year bought a house, used the vacation time to move
will be there this year
loves the nasa,rutan,building skill forums, not really interested in
being a pilot
still reads RAP anyway, good common sense here

Old July 2nd 07, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
bdl

On Jun 30, 8:53 am, Jay Honeck wrote:

If you're into ultralights, it's not a bad place to be -- but they
don't call the South Forty "North Fond du Lac" for nothing. You are
so far from ANYTHING -- showers, the warbirds, off-field restaurants
and stores -- that you may as well not even be in OSH, as far as I'm
concerned.

So how do I ensure that I end up in the N40? Fly down Sunday (not an
option)? Is there a secret?

Note, I'm flying in in an 86' archer. Not "classic" in any sense of
the word.

Brian

Old July 2nd 07, 05:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"bdl" wrote

So how do I ensure that I end up in the N40? Fly down Sunday (not an
option)? Is there a secret?

Note, I'm flying in in an 86' archer. Not "classic" in any sense of
the word.

Look over the notam, and find about the parking signs that arrivals are to
display once they are on the taxiways.

Make them big, and the letters bold and dark.

The NOTAM on the EAA site has the correct signs on page one.
http://www.airventure.org/2007/flying/notam07.pfd

There are formatted signs for printing available at
http://www.airventure.org/atc/arrival_signs.html

It might not hurt to have a second sign that says N-40, along with the GAC
(general aircraft camping) sign, also.

AGAIN, make them BOLD and DARK! Use the WHOLE piece of paper for one sign,
and it is better to make it from white cardboard or posterboard, or a piece
of paper taped to a piece of cardboard so it will stand up on your
glareshield, so the people flagging traffic on the taxiways can see it from
at least 75 feet away.

If you don't, you may get the round trip - grand tour of the airport, before
the people directing you figure out where you want to go. As one of the
people that directed traffic on taxiway intersections, I'm here to tell you
that it does happen, but so sorry; if we can't read your sign until you are
right on top of the intersection, you may not get directed in the right
direction the first time.
--
Jim in NC