How I celebrated the Anniversary

Old December 18th 03, 05:36 PM
G.R. Patterson III

In article , jon
wrote:

I returned a few hours ago from my flight to celebrate the 100th
anniversary.

For my part, I decided that attempting to leave the ground with a degree of fever
and coughing my lungs out was not a real good idea. Even if the weather would've
let me off the ground.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old December 18th 03, 09:51 PM
jon

David

Very nice pictures..
Your event was great. What a turn out and all of those different types of
planes. Congratulations..

Jon

"David Brooks" wrote in message
http://groups.msn.com/davidbrooks/paradeofplanes.msnw.

Enjoy. My aging camera has a distinctly blue cast - haven't had time to
retint the pictures yet.

-- David Brooks

"jon" wrote in message
Wow this sounds great .. Any pictures ?

"David Brooks" wrote in message
We have been *so* fortunate here, in Seattle of all places:
30005KT 10SM FEW160 SCT250 BKN330 11/05

The Parade of Planes went ahead with very few problems. 120 local

pilots
signed up (there were a few no-shows). There were 6 speed groups plus

formation team flying a circle up to Everett and down to McChord south

of
Tacoma. Flight A lead reached the dispersal point, abeam BFI, just as

the
sweep for flight F reported off the ground.

We started at the Museum of Flight at 9 for briefings, and left for

the
airplane around 11:10 (we had to miss the Flyer's attempt on the big
screen). We got out of the plane about 1:30. In between was lots of

meeting
other pilots and their craft, from big warbirds to a pair of

Long-Ezes.
was a passenger in the back of a friend's 206 - we have the same

instructor,
who was in the left seat. We were following a Texan and an Archer,

with
another 8 behind us in the group. As far as I could hear, only one

craft
had
to leave the parade, a biplane suffering some roughness.

Enormous kudos to the team from MOF for pulling it together at fairly

short
notice, and to the guys at Boeing Tower. We even got a stirring

send-off
from the FSDO guy (who introduced himself as representing the Federal
Anti-Aviation Administration).

I think I'll make sure I'm in the front seat in December 2103.

-- David Brooks

Old December 18th 03, 09:55 PM
jon

Pete

You know, it is very important to set your priorities...
I lucked out and was able to rearrange my schedule to let me fly that day.
Take care.
Jon

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"jon" wrote in message

I returned a few hours ago from my flight to celebrate the 100th
anniversary. [...]

Nice. I missed flying today, but I got a one-day reprieve on some

pressing
matters, and I'm hoping to sneak out tomorrow. It will no longer be the
17th anywhere in the world, but better late than never, right?

We did luck out today and have some great flying weather (which made it

all
the harder to keep working rather than heading to the airport). I did
happen to catch several large flights of airplanes doing a parade. I

don't
know where they started (though I suspect the well-formed flights of RVs
probably came from Arlington, north of here, where all the homebuilts hang
out) but it was a lot of fun, and I saw probably 50 airplanes go by in the
span of about 30 minutes, in a half-dozen different groups.

I'm a little ticked that no one invited me to participate in the parade,

but
that's probably because I don't spend enough time hanging out with other
pilots in real life. Gotta do something about that...

Pete

Old December 18th 03, 10:01 PM
jon

John,

I hardly fly at night and when I did I didn't look at the lights. My wife is
not much of a flyer could I use this to convince her to go up ? Are the
lights visible from the air, is it as good as ground viewing ?
Thanks.

Jon

"jcc" wrote in message
.. .

"jon" wrote in message

I returned a few hours ago from my flight to celebrate the 100th
anniversary.

[snip]

Great flight Jon!

This evening my daughter and I took a short "Centennial Anniversary and
Christmas Light Viewing Flight" around the Temple area.

I've recently gotten OziExplorer to work with my Airmap 100, so I have
posted an image of the flight track on alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

titled
"Centennial Anniversary, Christmas Light Viewing Flight".

Cheers!
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

Old December 18th 03, 10:33 PM
jon

JP,

Sounds like you had a great day. What you and your wife did for the kids is
fantastic and hopefully will stick with a few of them.

Jon

"JP Krievins" wrote in message
m...
in recognition of the centennial of flight, my wife has been teaching
her middle school level science classes this fall about the Wright
Brothers and aviation. She teaches at a special purpose school, a
residential facility for youth with various problems that keep them
out of the normal public schools. For yesterday, she organized a field
trip for her kids to our local airport, which has a flight training
program run by a local college.

I spent the morning helping out with running the kids through the
activities there. The kids were divided in groups of about five or
six, taking turns touring the facility, sitting in airplanes, flying
the simulator, answering Wright Bros trivia questions to "win"
T-shirts, and flying the paper airplanes they had built inside the
hangar. Lot's of smiles and "big" eyes from kids that don't have a lot
to look forward to, particularly in the holiday season.

We ended the morning's activities by launching a rubber band powered
Wright Flyer model in the hangar. It flew for about 3-4 seconds and 60
feet, which wasn't too bad (and was better than the full size replica
did).

I had brought our Cherokee over to the college hangar, and the kids
were surprised to learn that their teacher had a "real" airplane. I
think she was a little embarassed to have admit that she didn't fly
it. Maybe all this aviation stuff she's been teaching will get her
thinking about moving over to the left seat?

A little prequel to this story. I drove over to the college hangar
earlier that morning to unload and set up some of the equipment for
the field trip. The only person there was a young student pilot
pulling planes out of the hangar, as the sun was coming up in the
east. I offered her a hand and soon we had the Cessna 150 freed up and
parked at the gas pump. As she was fueling, I asked her where she was
going. She replied that she was flying her first solo cross-country
that morning. She had that expression of excitement, joy and fear in
her eyes that took me back to that first time of "leaving the nest" as
a pilot. I wished her well, and went on with my unloading. When I
heard her engine fire up, I stepped out and gave her a thumbs up. She
returned the gesture with a big smile.

Later that morning, I flew the Cherokee, on it's way back to the
T-hangars. I did a few steep turns, enjoying the cold smooth air and
clear blue skies. I'd flown a cross-country the day before for a
business trip, so the winter flying itch wasn't biting too bad.

But, reflecting on the day, I am thinking more about the new
beginnings I had witnessed than on my own flight. The middle schoolers
with those freshly planted seeds. Seeds that could grow into a
motivation strong enough to pull a young life towards a brighter
future. A young lady, already with this vision, taking on one of the
first big challenges along that road.

Yesterday I was a witness to the dawn of the next hundred years of
flight. Not a bad way to spend the day.

JP Krievins

Old December 19th 03, 01:03 AM
John Clonts

"jon" wrote in message
John,

I hardly fly at night and when I did I didn't look at the lights. My wife

is
not much of a flyer could I use this to convince her to go up ? Are the
lights visible from the air, is it as good as ground viewing ?
Thanks.

Jon

Frankly I think most would find the Christmas lights better from the
"automobile view".

It's certainly a interesting and novel perspective from the air. You could
use the aerial view to quickly locate what neighborhoods had the best
concentration of lights. But I think there are a lot of the lights that are
visible at street level which are not from above (e.g. on the fronts of
houses), and there is a much more 3d, "immersive" effect from the street.
From the air its a lot more 2d.

Also, this was from 1000 ft AGL and 100 knots. This kind of sightseeing is
the one thing that makes me kinda miss our old 172. (Flying a C210 now).

Cheers,
John

Old December 19th 03, 01:22 AM
John Clonts

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I've recently gotten OziExplorer to work with my Airmap 100, so I have
posted an image of the flight track on alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

titled
"Centennial Anniversary, Christmas Light Viewing Flight".

Sadly, it's not appearing on my server's version of "The Binary Channel".

Can you tell us a bit more about this software? I'd like to be able to
download (and save) my flight track from yesterday, since I doubt I'll

ever
do 12 airports in 2.5 hours again!

Hello Jay,

www.oziexplorer.com. I'm using the trial or demo version-- its limitations
have not been a factor yet. I don't know if or how well it would get along
with your Avmap. It doesn't specifically list that brand, but it does claim
to work with "others" to a certain degree via the standard NMEA protocol
(which Avmap claims to support as well).

If you find that it does seem to work let me know, I have some tips for
acquiring and calibrating maps I can give you. I've had pretty good success
overlaying tracks onto NOCA approach plates, Kyler's and aeroplanner's
sectionals, yahoo and mapquest street maps, and tiger.census.gov (which I
used here).

Cheers,
John

Old December 19th 03, 01:33 AM
Jay Honeck

Thanks for the info. Although it looks cool, I don't have time to deal with
new software right now.

Thus, it's being filed into the "after the holidays" folder... :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 19th 03, 02:38 AM
Peter Duniho

"jon" wrote in message
You know, it is very important to set your priorities...

Yes, it is. Unfortunately, especially when there are many other people
relying on carrying out preexisting commitments, somehow as significant
yesterday's anniversary was to us pilots, it still winds up a lower priority
than those other preexisting commitments.

I don't know what your intent was behind the "set your priorities" comment,
but I'm having a hard time understanding what your point might have been, if
not to be unreasonably critical. Others might have expressed some empathy
instead.

Pete

Old December 19th 03, 12:45 PM
jon

Peter,

Have you ever joked with your pilot friends about flying being the most
important priority ? If not I apologize for the misunderstanding. This was a
friendly comment. I had no intent.