OSH '05 Comments

Old August 2nd 05, 05:02 AM
Morgans

"PPT33R" wrote

The one thing that really ****ed me off this year (and I will proceed
to rant about) was the invasion of the 'obese scooter people'. I don't
ever remember getting run down by OSP in the past at OSH. There is now
a large 'scooter rental' right inside the gates.

Your rant is off base. First, the rental has has been there the 6 years I
have been. Second, what do you have against overweight people?

Granted, some people
actually NEED these things to get around, but I didn't see any,

You didn't look hard enough.

and I
doubt they would hold an airman's certificate.

The show is not just for certificated people. All who enjoy aviation are
invited.

They were ALL George
Costanza wannabes (recall the Seinfeld episode with the 'great scooter
chase'), and I don't think ANY were paid EAA Members.

Again you are wrong. I myself know of an 80 plus year old EAA'er that
injured himself WATER SKIING, and he didn't appear to be that old, or be in
need of a scooter.

So, EAA won't let
me ride my bicycle from the far end of the North 40 to the Forum
Pavillions,

Nope. Lord of Lord, can you imagine what would happen if just one bike from
each plane on the north 40 was let loose on the grounds? -shudder-

but OSP can run people down in the exhibit hangars and go
wherever the hell they want?

If you have a problem with the actions of "a" scooter rider, then "educate"
that one person, and stop blaming the whole subset of scooter riders.

You can ride your bike or scooter to the gate where the North 40 joins the
grounds, and walk from there, just like "everyone else" on foot.

It makes NO sense to me,

See above.

I am more afraid
of the 300lb'er not looking where they are driving their scooter.

Come now, are you a man or a mouse?

I made a comment to EAA about this, it really bothered me. If you have a
note from your doctor, OK, but just being lazy ****es me off.

I one year soon, will be unable to see what I want to see, without a scooter
(bad back; two surgeries with no improvement), but do not qualify for a
doctor's note. There is a difference to be made about the ability to get
around, and the ability to get all of the way around OSH.

If the
invasion of the OSP continues, it will eventually be enough to dissuade
me from attending in the future...

Far be it from me to dissuade anyone from attending OSH, but if you think
you are so above everyone else that is not allowed to ride bikes, and are so
afraid of a few scooters, ...
don't let the screen door hit you on the way out.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 2nd 05, 05:06 AM
Morgans

"Paul Tomblin" wrote

Think about people like me next time you dismiss somebody as "really
aren't handicapped" just because you can't see anything wrong with them.

Thanks, Paul. My thoughts exactly. As far as your pain goes, I am one of
you.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 2nd 05, 05:12 AM
Morgans

"
I think the problem comes in when you have folks who are able to get
around, even if it's painful, but then there are those who really can't
get around even if they want to.

So who will judge who will get what accommodation? You? I hope not.
--
Jim in NC
Old August 2nd 05, 05:19 AM
Morgans

As for pain, learn to live with it. It has become my special friend,
and it can be yours. I had a very low pain threshold before I went on
this campaign to singlehandedly destroy my body through misuse, but now
I live with it every day, once I learned to grow up and get over it.

How dare you? HOW DARE YOU JUDGE?

People have different problems, different bodies, and differing needs. How
DARE you say to another person, "learn to live with it." If You were right
next to me right now, I would reach over and kick your ass as many times as
I could, until stopped by somebody, or by pain.

Get a life, get a whatever, but most of all,
GET A CLUE!
--
Jim in NC

Old August 2nd 05, 05:22 AM
Morgans

"Sylvain" wrote in message
Jonathan

in the spirit of bringing it a little bit back on topic :-)

you wouldn't believe how few airports have handicap
parking spots for aircraft (actually, the only time
I remember I had such a spot reserved was on an AFB,
believe it or not, these guys are great :-)

one of these days I would really like to go to OSH;
snag is, it looks like it involves an awful lot of
walking (as pointed out by another poster) and I heard
that scooters and such were not allowed on the grounds;

anyone out there who has mobility limitations has gone
to OSH (flying that is) and could tell me about it?

--Sylvain

Bring it on! There is parking, scooters are allowed, and charging will be
tricky, but I'm sure, doable.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 2nd 05, 06:54 AM
Morgans

"Grumman-581" wrote

It's just not worth it for the pain that it adds to my knees...
If they allowed bicycles, it might be different, but walking from the
North 40 all the way to the other end of 36 really makes me remember it
the next day... I'll be damned if I'm going to get a handicap plate or
rent a scooter though...

I'm not sure I understand. You say you would use a bike as an aid to
getting around, but not a scooter? Why? I hope not vanity.

If money is the issue, I'll bet you could make you own (I saw one that was
home made) or borrow, or rent one off grounds.

I'm not there yet, but the day I can't walk all around OSH with a level of
pain I can manage, will be the day (or year) before I am on a scooter.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 2nd 05, 07:00 AM
Morgans

"Jim N." wrote

He shrugged his shoulders, never said a word, and walked away. If he had

at
least said he was sorry I would have felt a lot better (mistakes happen),
but he just walked away as if nothing had happened at all. That was the

last
time I will ever fly in to watch the show, especially since it takes only
1.5 hours to drive!

I, speaking on the behalf of the volunteers at OSH that do give a damn, am
sorry that happened. I don't know that EAA insurance would have made it
good, but I want to think it would have.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 2nd 05, 07:34 AM
Sylvain

Morgans wrote:

If money is the issue, I'll bet you could make you own (I saw one that was
home made) or borrow, or rent one off grounds.

anything designed for 'the disabled' is (a) bulky (b) ugly (c) lots
and lots of chrome (d) lousy performances and (e) outrageously
expensive;

There are actually alternatives; e.g., Zapworld sells some
interesting stuff. I have the three wheeled stand-up zap-III
and am very happy with it; I wanted something where I'd stand
rather than sit; for one thing it somehow seem to make it more
'acceptable' on the side walk for some reason, and two, it
actually makes my legs muscle work quite a bit (but without
the pain associated with walking; if money is no object, the
Segway is great (I was surprised at how stable and easy to use
the thing is when I tried one at a demo -- I am surprised
actually that they don't market it more for folks with mobility
impairments, may be because of the stigma associated with
anything that has to do with 'the disabled'?); now, if you
are a little more adventurous (and mobile), I also tried the
Go Motorboard 1500X, but it requires a bit more balance skill
than I can (reliably) master; it looks like many a toy electric
scooter but is very solidly built; not quite as fast as the
Zap-III (somewhat surprisingly if one looks at the specs on paper)
but it folds and fits in a backpack and when using it, can
pass for a non-powered scooter (handy in places where it
wouldn't be allowed :-)

Now of course, one could expect an EAA convention attendee of
being able to build his/her own (see http://tlb.org/eunicycle.html
or http://www.tlb.org/scooter.html for a couple of interesting
examples from a very creative guy!)

--Sylvain
Old August 2nd 05, 07:41 AM
Morgans

"Richard Riley" wrote

Jim - find another doctor.

Been there, done that.

I'll bet real money that a local chiropractor would help.

Three plus months. Also, accupunture, pain management, injecions and all,
(two years), othos, neuros, physical therapy,and a few more I didn't
mention..

I have degenerative disks, and permenant nerve damage. My back hurts, and
my leg and foot. My foot feels as it is severely bruised; like it has been
beaten on the bottom with a hammer. Yet I go on, as there is no other
choice.

If not with
the pain or the underlying condition, at least with the note.

I'll get the note, when it is time. I'm not there yet. With pain meds, a
nap will get me back for the rest of the day, for now.

I'm not "one of you" (rapping of wood) but I'm on your side.

I'm glad you're not. The message I always try to get out, is to take care
of you back. You only get one, and they usually don't get better.

I think
pain is horribly undermedicated and underaccomodated in this country.

Yep. Still, you are treated almost as a criminal (or addict), when you try
to get what can make life almost bearable.

I know that this thread is crossposted, but if anyone in
Rec.Aviation.Homebuilt objects to overweight, pain racked people
getting around airshows in a scooter, I would like to remind them that
our own Tony Pucillo used one in his last year or two at Sun n Fun.

(blue skies, Tony)

Yep, I never met him, but wish I did. I hope EVERYONE will take an example,
and try not to let a physical ailment stand in the way of what you love.
I'll try to make that vow, myself.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 2nd 05, 02:08 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Morgans wrote:

I know that this thread is crossposted, but if anyone in
Rec.Aviation.Homebuilt objects to overweight, pain racked people
getting around airshows in a scooter, I would like to remind them that
our own Tony Pucillo used one in his last year or two at Sun n Fun.

(blue skies, Tony)

Yep, I never met him, but wish I did. I hope EVERYONE will take an example,
and try not to let a physical ailment stand in the way of what you love.
I'll try to make that vow, myself.

I think I've seen pictures of Zoom on one at Sun'N'fun...