My first four flights on an RJ.03 IBIS canard

Old August 24th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Hans

Default My first four flights on an RJ.03 IBIS canard

Hi Group,

Mid-July I finally had the chance to attend the French RSA Fly-in and
spend a weekend with IBIS-builders and -planes.

Jean Claude (IBIS co-designer) offered training on the IBIS, which
motivated me even more to get into my car and drive down to Roanne and
Vichy for the weekend.

You can read all about it on: http://ibis.experimentals.de/flyinga...7rsaflyin.html

If I get around doing it, I'll also publish an article about each of
the four flights and about IBIS flying qualities.

take care,
Hans

Old August 25th 07, 09:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote:
Hans wrote:
Hi Group,

Mid-July I finally had the chance to attend the French RSA Fly-in and
spend a weekend with IBIS-builders and -planes.

Jean Claude (IBIS co-designer) offered training on the IBIS, which
motivated me even more to get into my car and drive down to Roanne and
Vichy for the weekend.

You can read all about it on: http://ibis.experimentals.de/flyinga...7rsaflyin.html

If I get around doing it, I'll also publish an article about each of
the four flights and about IBIS flying qualities.

take care,
Hans

Hans -

Thanks for your posting about your experiences with flying the IBIS. I
hope you do post
more detai about flying the IBIS as well as your observations about
the flaperon operation.
As some readers of this newsgroup may recall, there have been many
discussions here
about the relative merits of canards vs. conventional airplane design.
And, many people
seem to believe that you can't put flaps on a canard design, to wit
the many Rutan designs
plus their derivitives. (Some people may not realize that Burt did try
a canard design with
flaps called "The Grizzley", and the lone example sits somewhere at
Osh Kosh,
as I recall.) As with the IBIS, he did it by also adding flaps to the
canard.

On the other hand, the IBIS design has been around for many years, and
as your report
shows, it has a small but growing following in Europe. And most
significantly, the design
seems to prove that flaps can be used to reduce the stall speed below
60 mph on a canard,
which is way less than any Rutan design I've ever heard about. so more
information on
the comparative merits of the IBIS with it's flaperon design
vs."conventional" canard design
would be interesting.

Doug

Old August 25th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Hans

On 25 Aug., 10:08, wrote:
wrote:
Hans wrote:
[...]

Hi Doug,

thanks for your reaction. Currently I'm in the process of preparing a
number of articles about the flights proper. I'll let you know
through this list when I have put them on my site.
Indeed, despite its 20-some years history, IBIS is not yet
widespread. Things are changing for the better though, as the next
couple of years will most likely see two to three maiden flights.

Take care, fly safe

Hans
http://ibis.experimentals.de