Coming home from Houston Sunday...

Old July 25th 08, 11:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andy Hawkins

Default Coming home from Houston Sunday...

Hi,

In article ,
Bertie the wrote:
In that case you should think about a group with a Piper Tri Pacer or
something. they're quite cheap to buy and run!

Yeah, I'm already looking at a couple of groups. One a PA-28 180 that comes
out at £75 an hour, and a C172 that is a similar hourly rate. That's not far
off half what I'm paying now.

If you factor in the higher monthly charges, I'll only have to do about 8
hours a year to break even (assuming I'd get most of the cost of the share
back should I decide to sell up in future).

Andy
Old July 25th 08, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Andy Hawkins wrote in
:

Hi,

In article ,
Bertie the wrote:
In that case you should think about a group with a Piper Tri Pacer or
something. they're quite cheap to buy and run!

Yeah, I'm already looking at a couple of groups. One a PA-28 180 that
comes out at £75 an hour, and a C172 that is a similar hourly rate.
That's not far off half what I'm paying now.

If you factor in the higher monthly charges, I'll only have to do
about 8 hours a year to break even (assuming I'd get most of the cost
of the share back should I decide to sell up in future).

Yeah, it's the way to go if the other guys aren't ****s, especially in your
part of the world where the costs are outrageous. Do you have to chip in
for things like rebuilds on top of that, or is that rate all inclusive?

Bertie
Old July 25th 08, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

In article ,
Bertie the wrote:
Yeah, it's the way to go if the other guys aren't ****s, especially in your
part of the world where the costs are outrageous. Do you have to chip in
for things like rebuilds on top of that, or is that rate all inclusive?

There's usually a monthly payment that covers hangarage, insurance and
'routine' maintenance. Some groups also use this monthly payment to build up
an engine fund for when the donkey needs to be replaced. However, some
groups *don't* do this, on the theory that the money is better in the group
members accounts earning interest, than in the group account (better for the
members that is).

It's something I always check when enquiring about a group though, whether
the monthly payment includes some sort of 'extra' as a contingency.

As you say, finding out the mix of people in the group is also important.
I'm going looking at one on Tuesday where there are 8 members (total) in the
group. There are 3 others that do the majority of the flying, two of whom
are retired and the other is an airline pilot. That bodes well for a weekend
warrior like me (hopefully).

Most shareoplanes I've looked at only seem to do about 150 hours a year
though, so availability hopefully won't be too much of an issue.

Andy
Old July 25th 08, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Andy Hawkins wrote in
:

Hi,

In article ,
Bertie the wrote:
[...]

Yeah, probably depends on who you're in with. I'm in with two other guys
and as often as not I'll be flying during the week and they're both 9-5
so it should work well. It's helpful to have a god mix of skills in the
group too. A good mechanic in a group is worth his weight in gold as is
a good instructor. Having sadi that, the road can be fraught with peril
too. I know someone in the UK who has a Vampire. One of the group was an
ex RAF instructor who was supposed to make sure the other guys were
proficient and safe. Guess who damaged the airplane?
Anyhow, it's fixed and flying now. I really must go and fly the thing
one day!

Bertie
Old July 25th 08, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

Aha.
The Vampire -was- the jet fighter of choice for our Air Force

Bertie you've got to save your pennies and come out to Warbirds over
Wanaka.
They generally have two Vampires and sometimes a Venom.
And lots of twitchy little Russian beasties (Polykarpovs)...
Old July 25th 08, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

george wrote in news:5b0ac7ca-6f0a-4a77-8a7d-cd38289a8fd9
@z26g2000pre.googlegroups.com:

Aha.
The Vampire -was- the jet fighter of choice for our Air Force

Bertie you've got to save your pennies and come out to Warbirds over
Wanaka.
They generally have two Vampires and sometimes a Venom.
And lots of twitchy little Russian beasties (Polykarpovs)...

Yeah, I've seen the Polikarpovs on TV. Amazing recreations!
There's been quite a few reproductins of fighters down there.. Too much
time and money on your hands!

Bertie
Old July 26th 08, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Jul 26, 8:43 am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
george wrote in news:5b0ac7ca-6f0a-4a77-8a7d-cd38289a8fd9
@z26g2000pre.googlegroups.com:

Aha.
The Vampire -was- the jet fighter of choice for our Air Force

Bertie you've got to save your pennies and come out to Warbirds over
Wanaka.
They generally have two Vampires and sometimes a Venom.
And lots of twitchy little Russian beasties (Polykarpovs)...

Yeah, I've seen the Polikarpovs on TV. Amazing recreations!
There's been quite a few reproductins of fighters down there.. Too much
time and money on your hands!

Not reproductions they were dug out of deepest Siberia, rebuilt and
shipped out here

Old July 26th 08, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

george wrote in
:

On Jul 26, 8:43 am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
george wrote in
@z26g2000pre.googlegroups.com:

Aha.
The Vampire -was- the jet fighter of choice for our Air Force

Bertie you've got to save your pennies and come out to Warbirds
over Wanaka.
They generally have two Vampires and sometimes a Venom.
And lots of twitchy little Russian beasties (Polykarpovs)...

Yeah, I've seen the Polikarpovs on TV. Amazing recreations!
There's been quite a few reproductins of fighters down there.. Too
much time and money on your hands!

Not reproductions they were dug out of deepest Siberia, rebuilt and
shipped out here

OK. But there's very little left of the originals, eh?

I read about them years ago when tye were first done and have seen some
video of them flying OK. I must look up some detailed info on them
There was an FW 190 project down there as well, wasn't there?

Bertie

Old July 26th 08, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike[_22_]

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
"RST Engineering" wrote in
m:

Good grief.

I was pointing out that if you gotta tell 'em who ya are...

In any case the term is crap and poor usage coming from a percieved need
"sex it up"

Civil Air Patrol reports "wheels up" and "wheels down" times back to mission
base and has ever since their planes have had radios. Practically every one
of their fleet of over 500 aircraft are fixed gear. I've also heard
Blackhawk helicopter crews use the term as well.

I've never thought of the term as all that sexy, but whatever does it for
you.

Old July 26th 08, 05:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Jul 26, 12:15 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
george wrote :

[...]

What mark was the Stuka trainer?
It's one of them

HOUSTON Lear-1 Aviation Photos 9 June 12th 08 02:43 AM
When are the soldiers coming home ? [email protected] Naval Aviation 0 September 13th 07 04:21 PM
Exclusive Custom Home Plans, and Essential information about building your New Home orange tree Home Built 4 November 20th 05 04:37 PM
GA in Houston [email protected] Piloting 40 April 1st 05 03:12 PM
Houston Instructor? John Westerlage Aerobatics 2 March 1st 05 03:12 AM