New alpine soaring video on YouTube

Old October 23rd 20, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Christopher FLEMING

Default New alpine soaring video on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w4okrE4xfc

An ASH 31 Mi starts off by scraping the rocks low in the valleys, then climbs up above the highest peaks in the Southern French Alps. Fantastic video!
Old October 23rd 20, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 2:02:39 PM UTC-4, Christopher FLEMING wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w4okrE4xfc

An ASH 31 Mi starts off by scraping the rocks low in the valleys, then climbs up above the highest peaks in the Southern French Alps. Fantastic video!

Nice - thanks for sharing that link!

Uli
'AS'
Old October 23rd 20, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Metcalfe

At 18:02 23 October 2020, Christopher FLEMING wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w4okrE4xfc

An ASH 31 Mi starts off by scraping the rocks low in the valleys, then
climbs up above the highest peaks in the Southern French Alps. Fantastic
video!

Yes, lovely to watch!
I would have been interested to see his progress (edited out) from Fayence

to the Col d'Allos - that's the interesting bit (actually, a lot) for an
established Alpine pilot. After that, it's all plain (plane?) sailing!
J.

Old October 24th 20, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Christopher FLEMING wrote on 10/23/2020 11:02 AM:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w4okrE4xfc

An ASH 31 Mi starts off by scraping the rocks low in the valleys, then climbs up above the highest peaks in the Southern French Alps. Fantastic video!

I liked the flying, but I was as much intrigued by the 360 degree video camera that allowed the
video editor to pick the angles desired.

Old October 24th 20, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jp

On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 5:15:45 PM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Christopher FLEMING wrote on 10/23/2020 11:02 AM:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w4okrE4xfc

An ASH 31 Mi starts off by scraping the rocks low in the valleys, then climbs up above the highest peaks in the Southern French Alps. Fantastic video!

I liked the flying, but I was as much intrigued by the 360 degree video camera that allowed the
video editor to pick the angles desired.

I would like to know what camera setup was used. The 360º cameras I have seen produce "fisheye" kinds of images. Perhaps this setup was a remote controlled pan/tilt head?
Old October 24th 20, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

That looks like a GoPro Max 360 camera ( https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/cameras...01-master.html ). I have one, and could tell from the shape of the shadow that showed up occasionally on the video. They are quite amazing, with almost perfect stabilization. When I put one on my wing, the footage looks like the airplane is pinned to the camera, rather than the other way around. You can edit the video to look in any direction at any zoom level with keyframes. Notice how steady the horizon is during the flight. 5.2K resolution means even zoomed in a bit (as this video was) looks pretty good. I highly recommend this camera.

Matt

Old October 24th 20, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 6:25:31 PM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
That looks like a GoPro Max 360 camera ( https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/cameras...01-master.html ). I have one, and could tell from the shape of the shadow that showed up occasionally on the video. They are quite amazing, with almost perfect stabilization. When I put one on my wing, the footage looks like the airplane is pinned to the camera, rather than the other way around. You can edit the video to look in any direction at any zoom level with keyframes. Notice how steady the horizon is during the flight.. 5.2K resolution means even zoomed in a bit (as this video was) looks pretty good. I highly recommend this camera.

Matt

I would like to know what camera setup was used. The 360º cameras I have seen produce "fisheye" kinds of images. Perhaps this setup was a remote controlled pan/tilt head?

It is a GoPro 360. Fleming posted the answer to this question:

What video camera was used, and which editing program?

I used a GoPro Max in 5.6k 360, and edited it with Final Cut Pro X.
Old October 24th 20, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Great video, and truly astonishing camera technology. Wish we'd had it when we were making "Cloudstreet." However, the fore/aft alignment of the camera has some noticeable distortion where the two 180 degree hemispherical views join. Since they are aligned with the longitudinal axis of the glider, they show up quite a bit. Perhaps it would be better to align the camera mount laterally so the fore/aft view is undisturbed. I think the side views, with changing terrain and few "fixed" objects in the frame, would make this minor distortion less obvious.

No complaints, I am still VERY impressed.
Old October 24th 20, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

Lovely. But - did he take off in an ASH 31 without any warm up, and did he stow the prop without a cool down?
Old November 1st 20, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Am Freitag, 23. Oktober 2020 20:02:39 UTC+2 schrieb Christopher FLEMING:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w4okrE4xfc

An ASH 31 Mi starts off by scraping the rocks low in the valleys, then climbs up above the highest peaks in the Southern French Alps. Fantastic video!

Hi,
How and where was the camera attached and how do you control it?
Are there any photos of the mounting?
regards
Burli