Contribute To The OLC!

Old October 16th 07, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
P. Corbett

Default Contribute To The OLC!

People

There are few entities that have added as much momentum to soaring than
the OLC has. It is run by volunteers and I think we owe them our support
so that it can continue. There is now a "Support the OLC" banner on the
OLC /USA home page. Please do your part.

Paul
ZZ
Old October 16th 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Cordell

Great Idea, However I'd prefer to donate directly. The SSA has set
up the "donation" process via Amazon that charges 30 cents plus 3% and
it appears they will also charge a transfer fee to the OLC.

It there a Paypal account set up directly for the Friend of OLC?

Paul
Ephrata Wa

Old October 16th 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

On Oct 16, 11:40 am, Paul Cordell wrote:
Great Idea, However I'd prefer to donate directly. The SSA has set
up the "donation" process via Amazon that charges 30 cents plus 3% and
it appears they will also charge a transfer fee to the OLC.

It there a Paypal account set up directly for the Friend of OLC?

I recall hearing discussion of this (perhaps at the SSA convention)
and the OLC committee members were at that time looking into the least
expensive method of doing this online. Assuming they are a smart
group of folks (I think they are), this may be the least expensive
(time + money) option they found.

-Tom

Old October 18th 07, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I strongly agree that the OLC has done more to gain positive momentum
in our sport recently than most anything else. We hope that pilots in
the US will help to show their overwhelming support by pitching in
something to help keep it going strong, and growing.

Personally, I am pleased so far with the participation. Thank you
all!

It is true that the challenge is to make it as easy as possible for
pilots to make donations efficiently to the OLC effort with the
minimum time and financial burden on SSA staff and volunteers.
Suggesting that hundreds of checks for $6 each arriving in Hobbs would
not be a good idea. It turns out that it's hard to find a perfectly
"free" solution. Amazon does take a small cut out of each donation.
But it does make small donations practical and is an efficient way to
funnel money through the appropriate accounts, which in the end result
in a wire transfer to OLC. PayPal was also discussed (which has equal
loads), but in the end we decided that Amazon demonstrated less
potential for problems and we felt that Amazon accounts were probably
already fairly common among our pilots.

This is not to say that in the future there will not be a better way
to collect the money. Good ideas are always welcome.

Brian Resor
SSA-OLC Committee Member

Old October 18th 07, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

I found out this summer about the possibility of donating on Amazon
from a friend in Germany. This has been set up for some time, you see
the smiley faces on the OLC next to those competitors who have
donated.
Had looked several times on amazon com and amazon de, and found
nothing, so I e-mailed Hannes last week. He delivered, as promised,
the link by the end of the week. This is the way they've been doing
it, after research into other forms of payment.
Paypal also takes fees, so do credit card companies.
Click the link, and hope the cash makes it to the OLC. Best you can
do.
Jim