Mountain flying knowledge required?

Old April 24th 05, 05:55 AM
Matt Barrow

Scott D. wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 20:15:41 -0400, "Peter R."
Well, Jefco (BJC) is probably the nicest towered airport with more
services. I never pay for the fuel there so I don't know what their
prices are, but they will have plenty of hanger space. I have never
been to 18V and I have only been to 48V twice to pickup props from
Rocky Mountain Propellers located on the field.

http://www.airnav.com/fuel/local.html

$2.85 at 48V
$3.48 at BJC
$2.60 (Mar. 11) at 2V2

Old April 24th 05, 06:12 AM
Scott D.

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 21:50:19 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:

Yup, missed the "or" at the end of the line.

Well, excuuuuuseeee me!! :~)

Figured that was what happened. I too will speed read through
something and miss a key word.

Scott D

To email remove spamcatcher
Old April 24th 05, 06:15 AM
Scott D.

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 21:55:52 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:

Scott D. wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 20:15:41 -0400, "Peter R."
Well, Jefco (BJC) is probably the nicest towered airport with more
services. I never pay for the fuel there so I don't know what their
prices are, but they will have plenty of hanger space. I have never
been to 18V and I have only been to 48V twice to pickup props from
Rocky Mountain Propellers located on the field.

http://www.airnav.com/fuel/local.html

$2.85 at 48V
$3.48 at BJC
$2.60 (Mar. 11) at 2V2

Ouch, guess I know now why I never fuel there. Besides, it is only a
20 min flight from COS where I am based out of so there is no reason
to get fuel there. I go in there from time to time to pick up someone
but that's about it.

Old April 24th 05, 07:08 AM
tony roberts

I would take a couple of hours training on mountain flying.
That is all that I fly - I live in a valley!
If the left side of a narrow valley (with an out at the end) has a
downdraft, and the right side has an updraft would you fly left, right
or middle? And why?
If you can't answer that without even thinking about it, a couple of
hours of mountain training would be a good investment. Some areas have
downdrafts of up to 3000 ft per minute. Where would you expect to find
them?

you probably only need a couple of hours - it's fun and it makes you
safer. So my advice is do the training. When you are going down at 3000
ft a minute, it's too late to get the yellow pages out

HTH

Tony
--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

In article ,
"Peter R." wrote:

In late May I am planning to fly across the US, from NY to southern
California, with a return stop in Denver, CO. This will be done in a
single-engine, turbo-normalized Bonanza with on-board O2, and this is
the first time I have done this. My plan is to fly the majority of it
under IFR flight rules and at altitudes in the mid-to-upper teens (westerly
wind-depending).

When planning my flight from Palm Springs, CA, to Denver, I have decided to
avoid the high peaks in which a direct flight would result and instead
planned a flight east to Albuquerque, NM, then northeast/north to Denver
across the flat lands of Colorado, east of the mountains.

Disregarding the concept of density altitude as I am already familiar with
its affect on aircraft performance, would it still be advisable for me to
seek out some mountain flying instruction? My intention for this flight
is not to get too near the higher peaks of the Rockies, with the exception
of overflying the southern range in New Mexico.

Old April 24th 05, 09:57 AM
Toņo

Peter R. wrote:
My plan is to fly the majority of it
under IFR flight rules and at altitudes in the mid-to-upper teens (westerly
wind-depending).

Excuse me for asking but... If you intend to fly at those altitudes why
would you be concerned about mountain flying? I mean, are there going
to be any lee side rotors that high? Mountain waves are not really a
factor, are they? Density altitude, temp/dewpoint spread, short field
landings, soft field landings, valley winds, etc. are not really a
factor at that altitude.

About the only things that might be a factor would be icing (unlikely at
that altitude because temp is too cold) or a thunderstorm, which is of
concern for every flight.

I have always considered mountain flying to be flying *in* the mountains
and the things that concern a mountain pilot to be at or below the
peaks. Is this incorrect?

Thanks,

Antonio
Old April 24th 05, 01:45 PM
Morgans

"Toņo" wrote

I have always considered mountain flying to be flying *in* the mountains
and the things that concern a mountain pilot to be at or below the
peaks. Is this incorrect?

Yes. The waves extend way up past the peaks, and so do rotors.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 24th 05, 04:00 PM
Blanche

Toņo wrote:
Peter R. wrote:
My plan is to fly the majority of it
under IFR flight rules and at altitudes in the mid-to-upper teens (westerly
wind-depending).

Excuse me for asking but... If you intend to fly at those altitudes why
would you be concerned about mountain flying? I mean, are there going
to be any lee side rotors that high? Mountain waves are not really a
factor, are they? Density altitude, temp/dewpoint spread, short field
landings, soft field landings, valley winds, etc. are not really a
factor at that altitude.

And what happens if the engine conks out? Where do you land? How do
you land?

And reading the Imeson book is NOT sufficient.

About the only things that might be a factor would be icing (unlikely at
that altitude because temp is too cold) or a thunderstorm, which is of
concern for every flight.

And when that happens, all of a sudden you need to worry about
mountain waves, density altitude, valley winds, etc. Calculate
glide distance from 16K and tell me where & how you're going to
land.

I have always considered mountain flying to be flying *in* the mountains
and the things that concern a mountain pilot to be at or below the
peaks. Is this incorrect?

yes.

But back to the original poster. You have the right idea. Take
the ABQ (or AEG)-TAFOY-TAD-anyplace north. Watch out for the MOAs
they're usually hot. You'll have a great view of Pikes Peak on your
left.

Then, if you have time and are interested, take a mountain flying
lesson and you'll go on the west side of PP and fly into Leadville.

And lean.

Old April 24th 05, 04:19 PM
Peter R.

Tango Whiskey wrote:

Somebody here posted recently what I think is great advice. Night,
Mountains, Single Engine: pick any two.

Well, I picked only one: Single Engine.

I flight planned away from the mountains (where possible) and we are going
to leave early AM.

--
Peter

Old April 24th 05, 04:19 PM
Peter R.

Scott D. wrote:

Easiest way to define them is to find the La Veta MOA. You can also
draw a line from Alamosa Co, to Pueblo, to 1V6 (Fremont County) back
to Alamosa and they are the mountains in that triangle.

Got it. Thanks.

--
Peter

Old April 24th 05, 04:24 PM
Peter R.

tony roberts wrote:

If the left side of a narrow valley (with an out at the end) has a
downdraft, and the right side has an updraft would you fly left, right
or middle? And why?
If you can't answer that without even thinking about it, a couple of
hours of mountain training would be a good investment.

I may look up an instructor when I am there. Thanks.

--
Peter