Mystery aircraft: Help needed

Old February 3rd 04, 08:03 PM
Andreas Parsch

Default Mystery aircraft: Help needed

Hi,

a friend and I are unable to identify the WW2-era aircraft on this photo (no
caption or context available):

http://www.designation-systems.net/mystery.jpg

We think that the aircraft (obviously a glider) is connected to the U.S.
Navy's GLOMB ("Glider Bomb") program for remotely controlled gliders used
as surface-attack missiles. Several types of gliders were used in this
program, some (heavily??) modified from existing types, others
newly-designed. Unfortunately, the information on GLOMB in out sources is
incomplete and partially inconsistent, and we couldn't come up with a
really plausible ID for the aircraft.

So, any input would be much appreciated. Perhaps someone has that same photo
_with_ a caption ;-).

Thanks in advance!

Andreas

Old February 3rd 04, 09:20 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article , Andreas Parsch
wrote:

http://www.designation-systems.net/mystery.jpg

No glider bomb there! The a/c pictured is a training glider, used to
train glider pilots. Several types of training gliders were improvised
from light planes, where the engine was removed and a seat/controls
substituted.

The plane pictured is not a Cub or Aeronca or T-craft -- maybe a
Commonwealth?
Old February 3rd 04, 09:22 PM
Dale

In article , Andreas Parsch
wrote:

Hi,

a friend and I are unable to identify the WW2-era aircraft on this photo (no
caption or context available):

http://www.designation-systems.net/mystery.jpg

We think that the aircraft (obviously a glider) is connected to the U.S.
Navy's GLOMB ("Glider Bomb") program for remotely controlled gliders used
as surface-attack missiles. Several types of gliders were used in this
program, some (heavily??) modified from existing types, others
newly-designed. Unfortunately, the information on GLOMB in out sources is
incomplete and partially inconsistent, and we couldn't come up with a
really plausible ID for the aircraft.

Possibly an LNT-2. I Google search for Glomb turned up this one little
tidbit...couldn't find a photo.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old February 4th 04, 02:34 AM
Kevin Brooks

"Andreas Parsch" wrote in message
Hi,

a friend and I are unable to identify the WW2-era aircraft on this photo

(no
caption or context available):

http://www.designation-systems.net/mystery.jpg

We think that the aircraft (obviously a glider) is connected to the U.S.
Navy's GLOMB ("Glider Bomb") program for remotely controlled gliders used
as surface-attack missiles. Several types of gliders were used in this
program, some (heavily??) modified from existing types, others
newly-designed. Unfortunately, the information on GLOMB in out sources is
incomplete and partially inconsistent, and we couldn't come up with a
really plausible ID for the aircraft.

Andreas, the thing appears to resemble the Taylorcraft XTG-5 training
glider, albeit with a tricycle undercarriage. See:
http://www.ww2gp.org/training.htm. The Navy/Marine Corps had a similar
aircraft (the LNR-1, also LNT-1), which is referenced at
http://www.aero-web.org/specs/taylorcr/xlnt-1.htm, but no picture was
available. Note that Taylorcraft did manufacture the LBT-1 GLOMB
(http://www.history.navy.mil/avh-1910/APP21.PDF). Forgive me if you already
knew all of this...

Brooks

Old February 4th 04, 08:53 AM
Andreas Parsch

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

No glider bomb there! The a/c pictured is a training glider, used to
train glider pilots. Several types of training gliders were improvised
from light planes, where the engine was removed and a seat/controls
substituted.

That's entirely correct, but doesn't necessarily contradict the Glomb
idea. The USN used several of these gliders in modified form for the
Glomb test program. Documented types are the XLNT-1 (Taylorcraft
TG-6), XLNP-1 (Piper TG-8), XLNR-1 (Aeronca TG-5) and XLRW-1 (Waco
CG-4A). I don't know much details about the extent of the airframe
modifications, but the XLNT-1 (and probably others as well) was
modified with a tricycle gear.

The plane pictured is not a Cub or Aeronca or T-craft --

Indeed, and that's exactly the problem ;-). Although the aircraft
_superficially_ looks like, say, an XLNT-1/TG-6 modified with a
tricycle landing gear, it isn't (unless major parts of the rest of the
airframe were rebuilt as well).

maybe a Commonwealth?

I don't think any Commonwealth aircraft were used by the USAAF and/or
USN. Do you think of a specific type?

Andreas

Old February 4th 04, 08:57 AM
Andreas Parsch

Kevin Brooks wrote:

Andreas, the thing appears to resemble the Taylorcraft XTG-5 training
glider, albeit with a tricycle undercarriage.

"appears to resemble" is exactly the problem here ;-) (see also my
other reply on this thread), because at a closer look, it differs in
all essential details. Most notably the tailplane and wing strut
arrangement, which would most likely remain essentially unmodified in
a landing gear modification.

See:
http://www.ww2gp.org/training.htm. The Navy/Marine Corps had a similar
aircraft (the LNR-1, also LNT-1), which is referenced at
http://www.aero-web.org/specs/taylorcr/xlnt-1.htm, but no picture was
available. Note that Taylorcraft did manufacture the LBT-1 GLOMB
(http://www.history.navy.mil/avh-1910/APP21.PDF). Forgive me if you already
knew all of this...

I did, but no problem at all - if the a/c isn't immediately
identified, it show at least that I was not completely blind :-).

Andreas

Old February 4th 04, 08:59 AM
John Keeney

"Andreas Parsch" wrote in message
Hi,

a friend and I are unable to identify the WW2-era aircraft on this photo

(no
caption or context available):

http://www.designation-systems.net/mystery.jpg

We think that the aircraft (obviously a glider) is connected to the U.S.
Navy's GLOMB ("Glider Bomb") program for remotely controlled gliders used
as surface-attack missiles. Several types of gliders were used in this
program, some (heavily??) modified from existing types, others
newly-designed. Unfortunately, the information on GLOMB in out sources is
incomplete and partially inconsistent, and we couldn't come up with a
really plausible ID for the aircraft.

Doesn't look like that one would be a contender for the job: appears to
be a two-three man trainer, not near enough pay load to make it worth
while I would think; remote control gear would probably account for
a quarter to half that thing's pay load.

As to IDing it, I don't know.
General appearance reminds me of a Taylorcraft or Aeronca.
The armed forces bought up a bunch of gliders owned by individuals
-even to include home mades- and you could spend a long time
tracking down a minor variation of a home build.

The Navy glider program was generally tacked on to the Army's
so look there too.

Old February 4th 04, 11:10 AM
robert arndt

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message ...
"Andreas Parsch" wrote in message
Hi,

a friend and I are unable to identify the WW2-era aircraft on this photo

(no
caption or context available):

http://www.designation-systems.net/mystery.jpg

Similar to a TG-6A training glider: