VOR approach SMO

Old July 31st 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Doug Semler

Default VOR approach SMO

"B" wrote in message ...
Dave Butler wrote:
karl gruber wrote:

I have never used NACO charts, ever.

From the NACO chart I downloaded, there are four identical asterisks. It
is very easy to read the chart as I did, as one of the asterisk points
to crossing at the lower altitude. Another poster read it that way as
well.

The Jeppesen charts show no such ambiguity.

I agree, Karl. With the benefit of all this discussion and sitting
comfortably at my workstation, the chart is unambiguous. If I were
prepping the approach while trying to fly the airplane (which *does*
happen sometimes) I'm not sure I couldn't have been similarly misled. I
think NACO could find a better way to convey the correct information.

DB

This was brought to the FAA's attention. The asterisk has no business
being associated with the 1120 minimum altitude. That does suggest the
minimum altitude is conditional.

Here is the FAA response:

"They are going to remove the asterisk by the stepdown fix altitude and
leave it at the fix and with the minimums line. Don't know where they got
it, but they will check their source to see where it came from."

If this is the case, this whole discussion has produced 'A Good Thing' (tm).

Thanks to all.

--
Doug Semler
a.a. #705, BAAWA. EAC Guardian of the Horn of the IPU (pbuhh).

Old August 2nd 07, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Brad[_1_]

On Jul 23, 12:39 pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

However, while taxiing back, I noticed a Gulf Stream land right on the
numbers. There is no way you can tell me he properly flew the approach
and was able to touch on the numbers.

After reading the 123 messages in this thread, I am convinced the
Gulfstream pilot had CFII Gruber for Instrument flight training

In all seriousness, when I first looked at the chart, I read it
correctly, but after examining the multiple astericks, I can now see
how it's possible that this could be confusing. This is just the sort
of example of how the ASRS is useful in identifying safety issues
relating to charting. I wonder if this sort of thing was ever
reported? Nevertheless, I glad to hear someone got NACO charting
involved.

Old August 3rd 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr

Brad wrote:
On Jul 23, 12:39 pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

However, while taxiing back, I noticed a Gulf Stream land right on the
numbers. There is no way you can tell me he properly flew the approach
and was able to touch on the numbers.

After reading the 123 messages in this thread, I am convinced the
Gulfstream pilot had CFII Gruber for Instrument flight training

In all seriousness, when I first looked at the chart, I read it
correctly, but after examining the multiple astericks, I can now see
how it's possible that this could be confusing. This is just the sort
of example of how the ASRS is useful in identifying safety issues
relating to charting. I wonder if this sort of thing was ever
reported? Nevertheless, I glad to hear someone got NACO charting
involved.

Yes, it has recently been reported. You missed one of the 123 messages. ;-)