Contact approach question

Old January 28th 05, 10:02 PM
Gary Drescher

"Stan Gosnell" wrote in message
I had an unusual occurrence the other night. I was inbound to KGLS from
offshore on a medevac flight, using a Lifeguard callsign. The GLS
weather was 1/4 mile, VV001, and I was talking to ZHU. The controller
finally figured out where I was, and gave me radar contact about 30 miles
south. Generally we get turned over to approach at about 20 miles, but
that night we got nothing, other than asking if we had the GLS weather,
which we already had. Finally at about 5 miles from the airport I called
and gave my position, and inquired about the approach. After some ers,
ums, etc, I got "maintain 2000 until established, cleared for the
approach". I was surprised, but we started setting up for the full
approach instead of the vectors we generally get.

I was just looking at the NACO chart for GLS ILS 13
(http://makeashorterlink.com/?I14153A5A). Curiously, there's no exemption
from the procedure turn, even for the feeder route from HUB to SWANE. So
should you fly from HUB to SWANE, make an uncharted procedure turn outbound,
then turn around and come back in? Or is there a chart error?

--Gary

Old January 28th 05, 11:34 PM
Stan Gosnell

"Gary Drescher" wrote in
:

I was just looking at the NACO chart for GLS ILS 13
(http://makeashorterlink.com/?I14153A5A). Curiously, there's no
exemption from the procedure turn, even for the feeder route from HUB
to SWANE. So should you fly from HUB to SWANE, make an uncharted
procedure turn outbound, then turn around and come back in? Or is
there a chart error?

We use Jepp charts, and I left mine at work. ISTR a NoPT note coming
from HUB, but I couldn't swear to it. In the real world, you don't do a
procedure turn because you're always going to get vectors from Houston
Approach. We do procedure turns for practice, and sometimes ask for the
full procedure when coming from the Gulf, but coming from Hobby you'll
*always* be vectored. The GPS approaches have a Radar Required note.

--
Regards,

Stan
Old January 29th 05, 04:13 AM
Stan Gosnell

Stan Gosnell wrote in
:

We use Jepp charts, and I left mine at work. ISTR a NoPT note coming
from HUB, but I couldn't swear to it. In the real world, you don't do
a procedure turn because you're always going to get vectors from
Houston Approach. We do procedure turns for practice, and sometimes
ask for the full procedure when coming from the Gulf, but coming from
Hobby you'll *always* be vectored. The GPS approaches have a Radar
Required note.

I called my FO, who's still on hitch, and we discussed the plates. The
ILS13 transition has no NoPT notation, but interestingly the VOR 13 does.
The IAF for the VOR13 isn't SWANE, but it's very close to it. I have no
idea why one requires a procedure turn and the other doesn't. As I said
above, you'll always be on vectors anyway, so it's really a moot point.
Unless you request the full approach. ;-)

--
Regards,

Stan
Old January 31st 05, 02:50 PM
Dave Butler

Gary Drescher wrote:

I was just looking at the NACO chart for GLS ILS 13
(http://makeashorterlink.com/?I14153A5A). Curiously, there's no exemption
from the procedure turn, even for the feeder route from HUB to SWANE. So
should you fly from HUB to SWANE, make an uncharted procedure turn outbound,
then turn around and come back in? Or is there a chart error?

Yes, make the procedure turn unless you're vectored to the final approach course.

What do you mean "uncharted"? There's a procedure turn barb on the chart.

There's a note "Procedure turn N/A for Cat E", so if you're Cat E you need to
have vactors for the final approach course, or use some other approach. Must be
some terrain or obstruction within the protected area for Cat E.
Old January 31st 05, 06:40 PM
Gary Drescher

"Dave Butler" wrote in message
Gary Drescher wrote:

I was just looking at the NACO chart for GLS ILS 13
(http://makeashorterlink.com/?I14153A5A). Curiously, there's no exemption
from the procedure turn, even for the feeder route from HUB to SWANE. So
should you fly from HUB to SWANE, make an uncharted procedure turn
outbound, then turn around and come back in? Or is there a chart error?

Yes, make the procedure turn unless you're vectored to the final approach
course.

What do you mean "uncharted"? There's a procedure turn barb on the chart.

For the inbound procedure turn, yes. The outbound turn would have to be
flown after reaching SWANE inbound.

I emailed NACO about this chart, and they replied promptly that the omission
of NoPT for the HUB feeder is indeed a chart error, and will be corrected in
the next revision.

--Gary