Sloshing compound is failing

Old January 12th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Sloshing compound is failing

I guess that it has been at least 18 years since I build the fuel
tanks for my CH-300. They are of welded aluminum construction, and
were sloshed with Randolph's sloshing sealer. The Alcohol resistant
type, if I remember correctly.
Today I drained the tanks so I can replace the fuel selector valve,
which is enjoying a small leak around the selector shaft, when I
noticed that there is a small flake of sealer that has cracked loose
from the rest. Further examination shows that there are areas that
look like small blisters are forming under the sealer. I suspect that
this is not an unusual problem, as I seem to recall that others have
had this problem also. The question I have, is what to do. It seems to
me that the tanks need to be removed, (big job), and the sealer
flushed out of there. I seem to recall that some were using MEK to cut
and remove the sealer. Does this seem like the thing to do?
Advice welcomed.

Zenith CH-300 Driver.
Old January 13th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Tim Hickey" wrote

noticed that there is a small flake of sealer that has cracked loose
from the rest. Further examination shows that there are areas that
look like small blisters are forming under the sealer. I suspect that
this is not an unusual problem, as I seem to recall that others have
had this problem also. The question I have, is what to do. It seems to
me that the tanks need to be removed, (big job), and the sealer
flushed out of there. I seem to recall that some were using MEK to cut
and remove the sealer. Does this seem like the thing to do?
Advice welcomed

Man, I have no advise, but I feel your pain. Sounds like an ungodly job.

I can't help that feel sloshing is a shortcut, in many cases, to make a job
easier. It looks as though it does not pay off in the long run, for some.
(at least)

Aren't there better solutions, in nearly all cases? Fiberglass needs to
seal pinholes, why not use the same stuff the lay-up uses? Wet wings can
use sealant on seams and rivets? Metal tanks need to....to be welded
without leaks?

Just trying to anticipate a major headache.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 13th 06, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

I don't think Randolph made the alcohol resistant sealer 18 years ago.
It is part # 912 I think. If it the old stuff and you ran auto fuel in
it that was a mixture of gas/alcohol the blistering is what usually
happens. I have a Zenith 801 and I would dread to have to unzip my
wings to get at the tanks. We all feal your pain....

Ben
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

Old January 13th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

In article .com,
"stol" wrote:

I don't think Randolph made the alcohol resistant sealer 18 years ago.
It is part # 912 I think. If it the old stuff and you ran auto fuel in
it that was a mixture of gas/alcohol the blistering is what usually
happens. I have a Zenith 801 and I would dread to have to unzip my
wings to get at the tanks. We all feal your pain....

Randolph 912 is white; the non-alcohol-resistant stuff (Randolph 911) is
yellow. IIRC, the best way to remove the old stuff is to slosh some MEK
around the tank to loosen up and dissolve the old stuff.

You have to do this several times, then re-slosh with 912.

--
Remve "_" from email to reply to me personally.
Old January 13th 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Tim Hickey wrote:
[...]

That has been a problem in the RV's, When I built my tanks in 1988 it
was common practice in manufacturing to use Pro Seal on the seams and
rivets and then Slosh the complete tank. Many builders had the slosh
come loose and had to remove the tanks and and clean out all of the old
slosh. Some builders just junked the tanks and built new tanks as that
was the easier way to go in some cases. It seems that any chemicals that
you use to remove the old slosh just gums it up and makes a complete
mess. I have slosh in my tanks and and am reaching the 17 year mark with
no signs of it coming loose but am keeping my fingers crossed. Van's
have found that the tanks seal just was well just using Pro Seal with
out the slosh.

Jerry
Old January 13th 06, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 19:10:04 -0800, Jerry Springer
wrote:

Tim Hickey wrote:
[...]

The tanks need to be clean and etched before sloshing so the slosh
can bite.No oxide layer. Won't guarantee it will never peel, but if
you get a good bite you won't get corrosion between the metal and the
slosh, which lifts the slosh.Most slosh kits come with an etchant for
steel. Use aluma-prep (Phosphoric acir IIRC) on aluminum tanks.
Old January 13th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Thanks, Ben.
I do run auto fuel, and here in Iowa stations must, repeat must, offer
ethanol blended fuels. I never knowingly used a blended fuel. But who
is to say that maybe someone put the wrong fuel in the big underground
tank at the local station. I have made some checks for alcohol after
filling my transport tank, but never confirmed its presence. I guess
maybe one should check every time you go to the station. My totalizer
on my pump says that I have pumped over 8000 gallons of fuel through
it. Maybe I did get a "bad" load or two in there.
By the way, there is move in the Iowa legislature to require that ALL
gas sold in the state be blended with ethanol. The proposal is being
pushed by the Iowa Corn Board. They see it as a new market for corn.
So, Iowans, write your letters to your state Senators and Reps. I
have.

Now, where is that MEK?

Old January 13th 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Tim Hickey" wrote

Now, where is that MEK?

First, I must give the mandatory warning about MEK, Methyl Ethyl Ketone. Do
not let it get on your skin, so wear good chemical resistant tall gloves,
and something to protect the rest of your skin. Also use an activated
carbon respirator, in a well ventilated area. It is also very flammable.

The stuff is real nasty, and does nasty stuff to your body. It starts by
destroying your liver, messes with your blood, and the exposure is
additive, so don't let it get at you, to start down that road. It also
attacks the central nervous system, and is a carcinogen. All just
suspected, of course. This is all not to say, don't use it, but do be
careful with the stuff.

I'm sorry if you knew all of that, but someone reading this may not.

OK, that is done. You can usually get it at the larger home improvement
stores, and paint supply houses. It is usually kept around the paint
strippers, and brush cleaners.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 13th 06, 07:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Why would anyone even think of using Randolph sealants when 1) Randolph
itself doesn't recommend using it on aircraft and 2) PRC makes a much
superior product called 1005-L Buna-N that Spruce sells and has been
Mil-spec'd for fuel tank slosh sealing since the days of the Connie?

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news

Old January 13th 06, 08:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Don't use Randolph again. Ever. Use PRC 1005L Buna-N, available from Spruce.
The sealant is diluted in MEK, you pour, slosh, drain excess, let dry and
you're done, and its impervious to any fuel additives.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo.../sloshcoat.php