A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Sad News

Old July 10th 17, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Fidler[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Sad News

Gene Rinke has passed away after a year long fight with brain cancer. I visited him a week ago and he remained in good spirits even though he was aware his time was near. Gene was a great friend, an outstanding individual and a great soaring pilot. I flew with him for almost 20 years on countless cross-country flights in Michigan and Florida. The funeral will be private. A Memorial service is being planned by the family and will be announced.
Bob Fidler
Old July 10th 17, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Papa[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Sad News

On Monday, 10 July 2017 08:25:18 UTC-4, Robert Fidler wrote:
Gene Rinke has passed away after a year-long fight with brain cancer. I visited him a week ago and he remained in good spirits even though he was aware his time was near. Gene was a great friend, an outstanding individual and a great soaring pilot. I flew with him for almost 20 years on countless cross-country flights in Michigan and Florida. The funeral will be private. A Memorial service is being planned by the family and will be announced.
Bob Fidler

That is sad news indeed! I followed Gene around central Florida for many seasons. He was the most practical guy, - maybe it comes from being a farmer. I remember his CG calculation solution. Make a paint stirrer into a gauge for when the elevator is in perfect alignment with the Horizontal Stab by putting the padded end ion the instrument panel, and the PTT into a notch cut in the stick. Battens around the elevator held it in place for Gene to measure where to put the notch. Then adjust the ballast until the glider held 70 knots with the PTT in the notch. Ingenious.

I haven't seen Gene for several years, but am saddened to know I never will again.

CP
Old July 11th 17, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Sad News

I knew Gene when we were flying with the Vultures Soaring Club at Almont Mi and later Marlette MI.

I always enjoyed his company and he was a very generous man. When our club lost the use of a member's tow plane Gene went out and bought a Pawnee which he promptly painted bright Orange. He also went to get tailwheel time so that he could fly it for the benefit of club members and later in Region 6 North contests

He also went to England and bought an IAR Brasov IS-29 which at the time I thought was an odd choice. He later traded up for an SZD-55 (AG), the same model as my glider, which we then flew at Ionia until I left the area.

Sad news... but fond memories.

Bob 7U

On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 11:59:20 AM UTC-4, Charlie Papa wrote:
On Monday, 10 July 2017 08:25:18 UTC-4, Robert Fidler wrote:
Gene Rinke has passed away after a year-long fight with brain cancer. I visited him a week ago and he remained in good spirits even though he was aware his time was near. Gene was a great friend, an outstanding individual and a great soaring pilot. I flew with him for almost 20 years on countless cross-country flights in Michigan and Florida. The funeral will be private. A Memorial service is being planned by the family and will be announced.
Bob Fidler

That is sad news indeed! I followed Gene around central Florida for many seasons. He was the most practical guy, - maybe it comes from being a farmer. I remember his CG calculation solution. Make a paint stirrer into a gauge for when the elevator is in perfect alignment with the Horizontal Stab by putting the padded end ion the instrument panel, and the PTT into a notch cut in the stick. Battens around the elevator held it in place for Gene to measure where to put the notch. Then adjust the ballast until the glider held 70 knots with the PTT in the notch. Ingenious.

I haven't seen Gene for several years, but am saddened to know I never will again.

CP

Old July 12th 17, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou
external usenet poster

Default Sad News

When Gene decided to stop flying, he sold his LAK17at "AG" to me with the help of his great friend Bob Fidler.

I flew to Ionia to inspect the glider and finalize the purchase. After everything was agreed to, Gene took Bob and I to dinner. At dinner, Gene started asking some pretty detailed questions about my soaring experience. After I told him that a mutual respected friend, who knew my capabilities well, had recommended the glider to me, he seemed to relax a bit. He said "Good. I would rather run over it with my tractor than sell it to someone and have them get hurt in it."

Gene was a great guy, both during and after the sale.

He passed away way too soon. He will be missed.

Lou
LAK17at "AG"
Old July 13th 17, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Sad News

On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 8:25:18 AM UTC-4, Robert Fidler wrote:
Gene Rinke has passed away after a year long fight with brain cancer. I visited him a week ago and he remained in good spirits even though he was aware his time was near. Gene was a great friend, an outstanding individual and a great soaring pilot. I flew with him for almost 20 years on countless cross-country flights in Michigan and Florida. The funeral will be private. A Memorial service is being planned by the family and will be announced.
Bob Fidler

Glad I got to know Gene
Glenn
Old July 14th 17, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler
external usenet poster

Default Sad News

He was "the man!"
Old July 14th 17, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Sad News

On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 2:25:18 PM UTC+2, Robert Fidler wrote:
Bob Fidler

Gene was a great pilot and a greater friend at the glider port. Always happy and bringing happiness to others.

He is dearly missed.

What a great guy!