Stobe LED Flarm flasher for Ventus glider

Old July 14th 17, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Stobe LED Flarm flasher for Ventus glider

I fly in the French Alps where there is heavy glider traffic and Flarm is mandatory. Having Flarm is a great help and has proven very useful. But the traffic can be very congested and at times multiple threatening targets do happen and it is not always easy to see which one is the most threatening.. Being seen by others pilots (with their own eyes) is the ultimate security. Thus, I have been wanting a strobe flasher, one like which is available from the Schleicher factory, linked to Flarm. I have found such a device for my Ventus. It is available from Horst Rupp. I now fly with added security. The flasher is activated by an algorithm linked to threatening Flarm targets. I am very happy with the unit. You can find it he https://www.facebook.com/How2SoarLED/

Nice work Horst! Thanks!
Old July 14th 17, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Clay[_4_]

For non-FBers (German only though): http://www.how2soar.de/index.php/led...d-rechenknecht
Old July 14th 17, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Ferguson[_2_]

I bought one for my ASW28 earlier this year and Horst has kindly translated
the info to english on this link

http://www.how2soar.de/index.php/led-flash-calgnome

I'm told it makes my glider visible from a long way out

John

Old July 15th 17, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

From http://www.how2soar.de/index.php/led...led-blitzern-2

"None of the LED-flashes (the Schleicher flash in the tail fin, the Glider Flash, or the flash described in these pages, not even the strobe lights of a jet 10 km away) will catch your eye in bright sunlight.
However, when your FLARM screams and you try to find the plane in the direction advised, then you will see the flash immediately, even before you can detect the contours of the plane. That is exactly what the flash is made for."

So this is marginally effective if both planes do not have Flarm. Seems like it would be good when flying under cloud streets, but you'd want to have it on all the time for planes that do not have Flarm to trigger the flash.