Can You Name an "Aircraft-Accessible" Aviation Museum?

Old January 9th 04, 08:21 PM
Richard Russell

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 11:47:39 -0500, Andrew Gideon
wrote:

David Reinhart wrote:

There's also one at Cape May County Airport, Cape May, NJ. (WWD).

I seem to recall seeing a building labeled such when I was there. But what
was the name?

And - speaking of that neighborhood - isn't there something at Millville?

- Andrew

The Cape May museum is called the NAS Wildwood Museum. It is small
but nice. In addition to the aircraft, they have a number of engines
of various types that can be viewed up close (radials to jets). Worth
a visit if you're in the area. http://www.usnasw.org/

Rich Russell
Old January 10th 04, 12:27 AM
David Reinhart

It's the Wildwood Naval Air Station Museum. It's down the other end from the
FBO. Here's a link: http://www.usnasw.org/

I don't know about Millville. I don't live down that way. Those are just
stops along the way to other destinations.

Dave Reinhart

Old January 10th 04, 06:51 AM
Dan

Larry Smith wrote:

A big thing in these woods was to fly to Middlesboro, KY and see Glacier
Girl, the P-38 Lightning melted out of the deep Greenland Icecap, where she
lay buried since the forties. I take it she's still there, one of only a
half-dozen remaining Lightnings.
http://www.p38.com/glaciergirl/default.html

The Palm Springs Air Museum site says Glacier Girl will be flying later
this month (Jan 24th): http://www.air-museum.org/ and check the events
page.

Old January 10th 04, 02:43 PM
Jay Honeck

The Palm Springs Air Museum site says Glacier Girl will be flying later
this month (Jan 24th): http://www.air-museum.org/ and check the events
page.

The REAL question is: "Will Glacier Girl be flying into OSH 2004?"

I hope they make it this year -- they really disappointed a lot of their
supporters last year.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 10th 04, 04:47 PM
JJS

There is the Thomas P. Stafford Museum at the Weatherford, Ok.
airport, (F91). It is a very nice, fairly new, smaller sized museum
that is accessible from the G.A. ramp. In case you didn't know,
Stafford is a famous astronaut and Weatherford is his home town.

Here's a link to their website:
http://www.staffordairandspacemuseum.com/

Here's some photo's of displays:
http://www.staffordairandspacemuseum.com/airphotos.html

You can see everything in a few hours. It is well worth the trip if
you are in the general vicinity.

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I'm compiling the list now!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 10th 04, 05:20 PM
Pete

Another great one is:

The Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum located at the Hamilton Airport CYHM
in Ontario, Canada (Near Buffalo NY).

http://www.warplane.com/pages/aboutus_mandate.html

Cheers,
Pete
Europa Builder

Old January 10th 04, 06:14 PM
dann mann

Gillespie field in El Cajon ( san diego).
Two museums and an atlas missle outside.

Old January 12th 04, 08:50 PM
rdant

Well, the list would not be complete without including the first
living air museum at the Wright Brothers National Memorial
(http://www.airnav.com/airport/KFFA). The experience of flying into
Kitty Hawk and walking 300 yards to the memorial is like no other.
Old June 27th 16, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Can You Name an "Aircraft-Accessible" Aviation Museum?

On Tuesday, January 6, 2004 at 5:01:09 PM UTC-5, Jay Honeck wrote:
In another post about the fabulous new Udvar-Hazy Center (part of the
National Air & Space Museum), frustration with not being able to fly into
this terrific new facility was evident. I personally find it appallingly
ironic that museums which purport to glorify flight are not accessible by
aircraft, despite being located on an airport.

Which brings to the fore a question: How many aviation museums really ARE
accessible by light plane? I know, for example, that my two favorite
museums (the Air Force Museum in Ohio, and the Strategic Air Command Museum
in Nebraska) are NOT accessible by aircraft.

So here's my contributions to this heroic list. Let's hear it for museum
directors who have sense enough to make their airplanes viewable by those of
us who might actually fly in!

1. Rantoul, Illinois. The Octave Chanute Aerospace Museum You can taxi
right up to this one, and park just a few dozen feet away from an F-14
Tomcat. (Sadly, when we were there last month they had the back door
locked, so we had to walk around to the front of the building. This is a
giant hangar, so that was no small feat, with kids in tow...)
See it at: http://www.aeromuseum.org/

2. Topeka, Kansas. Combat Air Museum. Ditto above. Another great museum
located on the old Forbes Field air base.
See it at http://www.combatairmuseum.org/

3. Greenfield Iowa. Iowa Aviation Museum and Hall of Fame. Small, but very
good.
See it at http://www.flyingmuseum.com/

4. Ottumwa, Iowa. Airpower Museum and Antique Aircraft Association. This
is on a small, private, grass strip which is home to the most amazing annual
fly-in every summer. Call ahead for permission to land.
See it at http://www.aaa-apm.org/ .

5. Oshkosh, WI. EAA Airventure Museum. This one is only "sort of"
accessible by air. When I flew in during the winter in '95, I had to park
on the opposite side of the airport (miles away) at Basler, and they drove
us over to the museum.
See it at http://www.airventuremuseum.org/.

Can you add any more to this list?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 27th 16, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

[...]

Missing from the List is The Piper Aviation Museum in Lock Haven PA. http://www.pipermuseum.com/ The Lock Haven Memorial Airport is adjacent to the museum.

Tim Yoho
Webmaster Piper Aviation Museum