sunderland flying boat (origin of the name)

Old February 7th 04, 07:55 PM
Edward Senft

Default sunderland flying boat (origin of the name)

I'm pretty sure that Sunderland was the last name of
one of the designers of the sunderland flying boat. I
can't find any source other than a Wikipedia article
concerning the origin of the name.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunderland), This article indicates that
that the craft was named after the city of Sunderland. I believe this
is incorrect, however. (I remember my grandfather telling me stories
about
meeting Sunderland and talking about the flying boat he designed.)
Could someone verify the origin of the name for the Sunderland. Thank
you for your time!

Edward Senft
Old February 7th 04, 08:11 PM
Bob's Your Uncle

"Edward Senft" wrote in message I'm pretty sure that Sunderland was the
last name of
one of the designers of the sunderland flying boat. I
can't find any source other than a Wikipedia article
concerning the origin of the name.

This article indicates that
that the craft was named after the city of Sunderland. I believe this
is incorrect, however. (I remember my grandfather telling me stories
about
meeting Sunderland and talking about the flying boat he designed.)
Could someone verify the origin of the name for the Sunderland. Thank
you for your time!

Edward Senft

Short named its aircraft after cities, i.e.
Singapore, Sunderland, Seaford,Stirling

Old February 7th 04, 09:59 PM
Errol Cavit

"Bob's Your Uncle" wrote in message

"Edward Senft" wrote in message I'm pretty sure that Sunderland was

the
last name of
one of the designers of the sunderland flying boat. I
can't find any source other than a Wikipedia article
concerning the origin of the name.

This article indicates that
that the craft was named after the city of Sunderland. I believe this
is incorrect, however. (I remember my grandfather telling me stories
about
meeting Sunderland and talking about the flying boat he designed.)
Could someone verify the origin of the name for the Sunderland. Thank
you for your time!

Edward Senft

Short named its aircraft after cities, i.e.
Singapore, Sunderland, Seaford,Stirling

Close. Brit Flying boats of the time were named after "Coastal towns and
seaports of the British Empire". Alliterative names were preferred, and if
there was indeed a Mr Sunderland on the design team, then I wouldn't be that
surprised. Officially, it would be after the town. A quick google didn't
bring up any mention of a Mr Sunderland at Short however, and it is the sort
of thing that you would expect to get mentioned in passing.

See earlier discussion of naming schemes at

--
Errol Cavit | | "If you have had enough, then I have
had enough. But if you haven't had enough, then I haven't had enough

Old February 8th 04, 09:35 AM
M. H. Greaves

I'm not so sure about it NOT being named after the area;
there was the short Stirling, an early war heavy bomber,
the Short Shetland, another sea plane, (quite a biggie i've seen pics of
it).
Of course it may be that possibly there were particular people it was named
after.
regards, M.
om...

Old February 8th 04, 12:25 PM
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

In article ,
Edward Senft wrote:
I'm pretty sure that Sunderland was the last name of
one of the designers of the sunderland flying boat. I
can't find any source other than a Wikipedia article
concerning the origin of the name.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunderland), This article indicates that
that the craft was named after the city of Sunderland. I believe this
is incorrect, however. (I remember my grandfather telling me stories
about
meeting Sunderland and talking about the flying boat he designed.)
Could someone verify the origin of the name for the Sunderland. Thank
you for your time!

RAF naming practice of the time was that the first iniial of the
manufacturer's name and the first initial of the type name should
be the same - eg:

Bristol Bulldog, Blenheim, Beaufort, Beaufighter, Brigand..
Supermarine Stranraer, Seagull, Spitfire
Short Sunderland, Stirling, Seafort, Shetland

Vickers seem to have been allowed "W" as well as "V", and Hawker
played old harry with the whole system.

Over and above that, Coastal Command aircraft were named either
after coastal towns (Stranraer, Southampton..) or navy-related
names (Anson).

The Short Sunderland was therefore mainstream coastal command
naming for the time.

Sunderland wasn't a city until 2000.

--
Andy Breen ~ Interplanetary Scintillation Research Group
http://users.aber.ac.uk/azb/
Old February 8th 04, 12:27 PM
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

In article ,
Mycroft wrote:
All Shorts were named after coastal towns & villages begining with S another
name they used was Sidestrand a small Norfolk village 6 or so miles south
of Cromer on the North sea coast.

IIRC the Sidestrand (bomber of about 1929 or so) was by Boulton &
Paul of Wolverhampton, not Shorts of Belfast, and was replaced by
the Boulton & Paul Overstrand.

Old February 8th 04, 03:41 PM
M. H. Greaves

Boulton and Paul are still around today, they now do joinery, e.g. doors and
window frames, joinery products, for the house building industry, theres a
branch near me, in Blantyre, south lanarkshire.
This is confirmed by the way, as when i was in the building trade i went to
collect some materials from there and in the main office was a pic of the Bp
Defiant, i asked about it, and one of the managers father had been working
for them for many years; had told him about these days.
Its a small world, but its a big country!!!

Old February 9th 04, 02:18 PM
robert arndt

The Germans called the Sunderland the "Flying Porcupine"- a respected
adversery. In one engagement a lone Sunderland was attacked by eight
Ju-88 and shot-down two!!!

Rob
Old February 9th 04, 04:44 PM
Ken Duffey

robert arndt wrote:

The Germans called the Sunderland the "Flying Porcupine"- a respected
adversery. In one engagement a lone Sunderland was attacked by eight
Ju-88 and shot-down two!!!

Rob

In the latest issue of International Air Power Review (Vol 10), Jon Lake
does a bit of a hatchet job on the Sunderland.

He mentions the German appelation of 'fliegende Stachelschwein' - saying
that it was far from the flying porcupine of the propagandists.

He concludes that its reliance on rifle-calibre machine guns left it very
vunerable to cannon-armed enemy fighters - and that many (23-46)
Sunderlands fell to long-ranging Ju 88's & Bf 110's.

The incident you mention is related - but he says that the Sunderland. of
204 Sqn, was attacked by two, then four, then six more Ju 88's and that
ONE was shot down by the rear gunner - and the rest were 'driven off'.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++
Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast
Flankers Website - http://www.flankers.co.uk/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++

Old February 9th 04, 04:59 PM
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

In article ,
M. H. Greaves wrote:
yes it was one of the better self defended aircraft, but like many of the
british aircraft, there was no under belly defence!

To be fair, under-belly defence is difficult to achieve in a flying
boat without distressing consequences on landing.

The Sunderland was a quick-and-dirty adaptation of an airliner,
and as such did suprisingly well as a warplane.