Turn co-ordinator

Old October 25th 05, 05:07 AM
Roy Smith

Default Turn co-ordinator

"Guillermo" wrote:
Perhaps... but what if you're in IMC and partial panel?

My initial thought was "one emergency at a time, please". If you're
partial panel in IMC and you then lose the engine, you're goose is probably
cooked anyway.

But, then I realized that any engine failure (in a typical 6-pack equipped
piston single) is going to involve loss of vacuum, so you're going to be
partial panel anyway.

It's a worthwhile exercise to practice an engine-out instrument approach.
I haven't practiced one in quite a while myself, so I should put that on my
list for my next practice flight. Basicly, set up for best glide, go GPS
direct to the nearest airport, and hope luck is on your side.
Old October 25th 05, 11:57 AM
Matt Whiting

Roy Smith wrote:
"Guillermo" wrote:

Perhaps... but what if you're in IMC and partial panel?

My initial thought was "one emergency at a time, please". If you're
partial panel in IMC and you then lose the engine, you're goose is probably
cooked anyway.

But, then I realized that any engine failure (in a typical 6-pack equipped
piston single) is going to involve loss of vacuum, so you're going to be
partial panel anyway.

Why? I believe most vacuum pumps are mechanically driven from the
engine so as long as the engine is turning, there should be vacuum. If
the failure is due to fuel or spark, then I don't see a vacuum loss.
Likewise, a "light" mechanical failure (valve, rocker arm, etc.), that
doesn't impede crank rotation also shouldn't cause vacuum loss. Now, if
you break the crank, throw a rod, or lose oil, then I can see the
likelihood, or even certainty, of the engine rotation ceasing and the
vacuum pump ceasing with it.

I'mnot suggesting that you shouldn't practice power off instrument
approaches though!

Matt
Old October 25th 05, 05:37 PM
Jon Kraus

So what you are saying is that a windmilling engine is going to produce
enough vacuum to run the gyros? I think not...

Jon Kraus
'79 Money 201
4443H @ TYQ

Old October 26th 05, 04:14 AM
Marc J. Zeitlin

Jon Kraus wrote:

So what you are saying is that a windmilling engine is going to
produce enough vacuum to run the gyros? I think not...

Since the vacuum pump on most of our engines (an O-360 in my plane -
something similar in your Mooney) are run by a gear on the engine, as
long as the engine is spinning, the pump will be spinning. When I do my
runup, I get 5" of vacuum at anything over 1500 RPM or so - certainly at
1700 RPM or above.

So, as long as my engine windmills at more than 1500 RPM, I'll have more
than enough vacuum to run my gyros. And it does - I've tried it.

Try it yourself if you think not.....

--
Marc J. Zeitlin
http://www.cozybuilders.org/

Old October 26th 05, 12:00 PM
Bill Zaleski

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 03:14:11 GMT, "Marc J. Zeitlin"
wrote:

Jon Kraus wrote:

So what you are saying is that a windmilling engine is going to
produce enough vacuum to run the gyros? I think not...

Since the vacuum pump on most of our engines (an O-360 in my plane -
something similar in your Mooney) are run by a gear on the engine, as
long as the engine is spinning, the pump will be spinning. When I do my
runup, I get 5" of vacuum at anything over 1500 RPM or so - certainly at
1700 RPM or above.

So, as long as my engine windmills at more than 1500 RPM, I'll have more
than enough vacuum to run my gyros. And it does - I've tried it.

Try it yourself if you think not.....

You think wrong, Jon. Even at idle, most vacuum pumps produce enough
differential to keep rotors spinning satisfactorily.
Old October 31st 05, 12:17 PM
Guillermo

"Marc J. Zeitlin" wrote in message
Jon Kraus wrote:

So what you are saying is that a windmilling engine is going to
produce enough vacuum to run the gyros? I think not...

Since the vacuum pump on most of our engines (an O-360 in my plane -
something similar in your Mooney) are run by a gear on the engine, as
long as the engine is spinning, the pump will be spinning. When I do my
runup, I get 5" of vacuum at anything over 1500 RPM or so - certainly at
1700 RPM or above.

So, as long as my engine windmills at more than 1500 RPM, I'll have more
than enough vacuum to run my gyros. And it does - I've tried it.

You've tried turning off your engine and have your propeller spinning at
more than 1500 RPM?
That seems unlikely, when you do a simulated engine failure with the engine
idling, you do get more RPM than in the ground, but not even close to 1500
RPM... I can't imagine that the engine will spin more than 1000 RPM (or a
lot less) in a real engine failure

Old October 31st 05, 11:44 PM
Roger

Jon Kraus wrote:

[...]

That's one of the reasons I fly approaches faster than VFR patterns.
At idle (with windmilling prop) the vacuum drops below the red line.
Now that doesn't mean I lose instruments immediately, but it'd get
pretty iffy doing a complete ILS at idle. With an engine failure I
wouldn't want to have to let down through a thick layer without a
second vacuum pump or backup electrical AI.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old November 1st 05, 11:48 AM
Jon Kraus

You think wrong Bill. At least on my Mooney at idle doesn't come close
to the vacuum gauge reading in the green. This is with a new dry pump
too. I still doubt that a windmilling engine will keep the gyros spooled
up enough to run the AI and DG. Just my .02. YMMV

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ TYQ

Old November 1st 05, 01:23 PM
Brooks Hagenow

Marc J. Zeitlin wrote:
Jon Kraus wrote:

So what you are saying is that a windmilling engine is going to
produce enough vacuum to run the gyros? I think not...

Since the vacuum pump on most of our engines (an O-360 in my plane -
something similar in your Mooney) are run by a gear on the engine, as
long as the engine is spinning, the pump will be spinning. When I do my
runup, I get 5" of vacuum at anything over 1500 RPM or so - certainly at
1700 RPM or above.

So, as long as my engine windmills at more than 1500 RPM, I'll have more
than enough vacuum to run my gyros. And it does - I've tried it.

Try it yourself if you think not.....

You are not even going to get close to 1500 RPM by windmilling. Not
without diving at the ground and being well above Vg. At least I
wouldn't in the 152.

-Brooks
Old November 1st 05, 11:13 PM
Matt Whiting

Bill Zaleski wrote:

You think wrong, Jon. Even at idle, most vacuum pumps produce enough
differential to keep rotors spinning satisfactorily.

Same with the club Arrow I fly. It takes 1200 or so to get the vacuum
into the green.

Matt