Terrain Avoidance at Night

Old September 14th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Default Terrain Avoidance at Night

In any case, when flying over the Arizona desert, I don't think that
shock cooling of anything would be a major risk.

What is the temperature of the engine? What is the temperature of the
Arizona air at 10,000 feet? What do you get when you subtract the two?

Jose
--
There are more ways to skin a cat than there are cats.
Old September 14th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jose writes:

What is the temperature of the engine? What is the temperature of the
Arizona air at 10,000 feet? What do you get when you subtract the two?

I give up. What are the actual numbers?

Old September 14th 06, 08:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Mxsmanic,

What is a shock-cooled engine?

donning flak vest

A myth.

Alternatively: The opposite of shock heating (e.g. during take-off)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old September 14th 06, 08:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Trevor,

that can be a real concern, particularly w/
high performance powerplants, whether in Arizona or Siberia.

Well, I htink it would fair to admit that damage through shock cooling
is anything but proven.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old September 14th 06, 08:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_3_]

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
Oh, PLEEZE keep doing that. My kids need college money and I want a

Hawaii
vacation next year. I make a lot of money from shock-cooled engine work.

From what I've heard, shock cooling is not a big issue on the Grummans...
Considering the way that students fly the planes, if it was an issue, it
would have presented itself before... Maybe with some of the high
performance aircraft, it might be more of an issue...

Old September 14th 06, 08:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_3_]

wrote in message
ups.com...
Something that doesn't happen in MS flight sim.

And some might argue that it doesn't happen that much in real aircraft
either...

http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/182883-1.html

My previous engine went to around 3000 hours with typical student use of two
throttle settings -- on and off... No problem with shock cooling... It even
still had good compressions, but the insurance company had a problem with
students renting an engine that far past TBO... I took it off leaseback and
flew it myself for quite awhile before deciding I wanted the high
compression cylinder STC and going ahead and doing an overhaul on it...

Old September 14th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Trevor

Thomas Borchert wrote:

Trevor,

that can be a real concern, particularly w/
high performance powerplants, whether in Arizona or Siberia.

Well, I htink it would fair to admit that damage through shock cooling
is anything but proven.

Well it can be hard to "prove" what causes some problems, but I would give
the powerplant that hauls my butt the benefit of the doubt and stick with
the manufacturer's advice:
http://www.lycoming.textron.com/main...enCooling.html

or http://tinyurl.com/fgbq3

Old September 14th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Trevor,

and stick with
the manufacturer's advice:

You know, I'm dubious. That would keep you from doing really useful
stuff like running lean-of-peak. What the manufacturer recommends is
largely dictated by legal and marketing departments.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)