Cont O-300D oil leak problem

Old December 2nd 05, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Cont O-300D oil leak problem

Clean the engine.
Run engine to operating temp.
Blow talc powder on the engine and look for the wet spot. Not as
glamerous as dye checking but effective.

Old December 2nd 05, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

My mechanics have replaced all 6 rocker box
covers and gaskets, and re-flared the push rod tubes. I have spent
almost $1000.00 so far and it's still leaking.

You told your mechanic that you had an oil leak, and that he should go fix
it?

Whoo-eee...I'll bet he's had visions of sugar plums dancing in his head for
weeks! Talk about a license to steal...

Never, ever send an A&P on a fishing expedition. You'll only get hooked,
and everything will smell fishy...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 2nd 05, 12:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

My mechanics have replaced all 6 rocker box
covers and gaskets, and re-flared the push rod tubes. I have spent
almost $1000.00 so far and it's still leaking.

JayYou told your mechanic that you had an oil leak, and that he
should go fix
it?
Whoo-eee...I'll bet he's had visions of sugar plums dancing in his head
for
weeks! Talk about a license to steal...

Not at all. I was there every minute, observing everything. I even
flew to Danbury (Coastal Aviation) to pick up the new rocker box covers
myself. I did the runups on the ramp after each attempt to fix it.
These guys were definitely not trying to exploit me, and they are just
as frustrated as me by the persistant leak. In fact, I am forwarding
all the comments from the NG to them at their request. They want to
fix it as much as I do.

Never, ever send an A&P on a fishing expedition. You'll only get
hooked,
and everything will smell fishy...

Sound advice, but this is not the case here. Thanks . . .

www.Rosspilot.com

Old December 2nd 05, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Never, ever send an A&P on a fishing expedition. You'll only get
hooked,
and everything will smell fishy...

Sound advice, but this is not the case here. Thanks . . .

I know you didn't, Lee. I guess I forgot the little smiley thingy...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 2nd 05, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Small Continentals typically leak from both ends of the pushrod
tubes. The rubber couplings at the case need to be replaced, which
requires pulling the cylinders off, at which time the cylinder base
seals (o-rings) should be done, too. The head end of the tubes will
often leak until the rocker covers are removed, cleaning solvent (like
Brake and Parts Cleaner or laquer thinner) is used to flush out the
tube/head joints, and a wicking Loctite is run into them. If it's the
front crankshaft seal, there's a split version available to install
without any fuss.
The oil tank or accessory cover gaskets might be leaking, and
worst of all, the crankcase joint might be starting to seep.

Dan

Old December 2nd 05, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

If the pushrod tubes are the same as on the big bore Continentals then
the cylinders do not need to be pulled, you just need the tool to
compress the springs. And no mechanic worth the title uses loctite on
those tubes. If you get the gaskets in right they do not leak. Very
easy to tell with a little mirror.

Old December 2nd 05, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

If the pushrod tubes are the same as on the big bore Continentals then
the cylinders do not need to be pulled, you just need the tool to
compress the springs. And no mechanic worth the title uses loctite on
those tubes. If you get the gaskets in right they do not leak. Very
easy to tell with a little mirror.

The O-200/O-300 engines have the pushrod tube swaged into the cyl head
assembly. There is an elastomeric seal at the crankcase end only. I
understand there is a re-swaging tool that I assume you already have
used to tighten these joints, but that tool can only do so much before
it damages the tubes etc. The use of loctite is appropriate.

I thought someone had mentioned it earlier (maybe on another post?) &
I've never tried it, but perhaps you could pressurize the crankcase
thru the breather line to maybe 1-2 psi & do soap bubble tests. Don't
go any higher or you would probably blow out the front crankshaft seal.
BTW I assume the front seal has its split in the correct quadrant?

Chances are otherwise pretty good the leak is around one of the case or
pan splits, in which case a vaccum should be used to suck in a sealant
after cleaning.

Old December 3rd 05, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

After six years trying to figure out were the leak came from and after
many thousands of dollars spent. My O-300 is still leaking the same,
one quart every four hours of flight. I believe I can live with that.
The best option to solve this problem I believe is to replace the
engine with an O-360.

Old December 3rd 05, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

wrote in message
oups.com...
After six years trying to figure out were the leak came from and after
many thousands of dollars spent. My O-300 is still leaking the same,
one quart every four hours of flight. I believe I can live with that.
The best option to solve this problem I believe is to replace the
engine with an O-360.

I find it impossible to believe a 1 quart per 4 hour leak cannot be found.
A leak that major would coat the entire fuselage in minutes. A tablespoon
of oil can spread over a very large area and make it seem like a major leak.
I assume you took it to several A&Ps over the six years.

Ignition problem? nauga Home Built 10 July 1st 04 02:15 AM
A problem in the Military ? Nick Jade Military Aviation 54 March 15th 04 07:59 PM
Fiberglass Cowl Problem Boelkowj Home Built 6 December 20th 03 02:08 PM
RF interference issue again (esp. for E Drucker and Jim Weir and other RF wizards) Snowbird Home Built 78 December 3rd 03 09:10 PM
Garmin fixes moving waypoint problem -- almost Jon Woellhaf Instrument Flight Rules 6 November 28th 03 05:29 PM