How About Story Time

Old April 16th 20, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Default How About Story Time

MIS COMUNICATION

Jeff Campbell in his LS4 CO and I in my ASW 20 XS arrive back in Telluride after a Western Colorado cross country tour. When coming back in from somewhere else we always come in high as there is no safe place to land from any direction for say 20-30 miles.
Campbell is circling down directly over the field at about 11.5 and I'm above him at 12.5 when a transmission comes over the unicom freq:
"Telluride unicom and area traffic Piper Aerostar is 9 miles east inbound for landing, decending though 15k". Now the Piper Aerostar is one speedy piston twin, one of the fastest if not the fastest, so I key up my mic and transmit: "Inbound Piper twin to Telluride, Two gliders circling over the airport for landing please say ground speed". He reply's" Telluride gilder, Piper Aerostar 468AA shows a ground speed of 260 knots. I decide for Jeff and I to let him go on in first since we were in no hurry and it will take us a few minutes to land and push our ships off. I transmit" Piper Aerostar 468AA why don't you go on in first, it will be easier all around" Piper Aerostar: " Thank you Glider we will keep the speed up and head in" I spot him about 4 miles to my east and keep a eye on him as I'm hanging in some zero sink. About a minute later: "Telluride Glider have you in sight" Now hes on a trajectory to pass by me pretty close, slightly above and I'm guessing about 6-800 feet to my north. And hes hauling.
When he gets about half a mile away he slightly turns towards me and lowers his nose a little, I think he's setting me up for a high speed haircut.
Now I'm a card carrying member of the buzz the sh*t out of any and everything club, so I think he is too and I watch as he rip's by me at my height about 150' away.
Nice buzz I think to myself. But a little odd as I could clearly see his face and he never looked at me or waved.
He pulls the power off and circles into land and sticks a short landing, good job.
Campbell lands and pulls off. I land and pull off and the Aerostar is close by on the ramp and I see he's got his wife and two little kids like 4 and 6 unloading bags.
I walk over and greet him and say " That was a nice buzz job there!"
He takes a step back and looks a little offended. He says " What are you talking about I was AT LEAST 1000' above you!
He never saw me- it turned out, He saw only Jeff and thought there was only one glider in the area.
Old April 16th 20, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

Dan, I do remember your comments after we had done a bit of grazing on the SW face of Pike Peak. That was a fun flight.

Back in September 1994, Dan volunteered to fly a Pawnee, and I a L-23 from Westcliffe, CO to Creede, CO for an annual BFSS "Fall Colors" weekend. I ended up giving 21 rides over the 3 days we were there. I took turns with several other ride pilots, so the glider was quite busy. The fun part, though, was the tow...

Early Friday morning, Dan drove by my home in Colorado Springs, picked me up and we drove to Wescliffe. Neither plane had a radio, but we each had a handheld, so we were set. The plan was for me to drop into low tow if I needed to communicate. Dan would then put the radio up to his ear and try to hear my call over the engine noise in the cockpit :-)

It's just 75 miles from Silver West airport to Mineral County, but there's a couple little ridges to cross. Takeoff at 8290 MSL and head SW to Mosca Pass at only 9740 MSL. We actually turned short, as the climb rate in the morning was quite good. Crossing the San Luis Valley, we continued to climb slowly, since the terrain going into Creede is 12K or higher. Mineral County is at 8680 MSL, so not much elevation change between takeoff and landing. San Luis valley is flat desert with some farms and scattered duster strips, so I always had a safe place to go in case of a rope break.

As we're climbing through 11K, maybe 12K, and nearing the tiger country east of Creede I notice a hint of black smoke coming from the towplane! A minute later, i decide it's time to tell Dan. So I drop to low tow and wait for his call. Took a couple tries, but the message finally got through. A minute or two later, the smoke stops :-)

Dan had forgotten to lean the mixture as we were climbing, not something done on most tows, since it's only set it at takeoff. During the tow, running a bit rich for a few minutes is fine. But on a long, high tow....

Sure got Dan's attention, since his landing options pretty limited in the mountains. Me, I had glide to Creede :-)

Tom 5Z
Old April 16th 20, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dennis Vreeken

Practice jokes . I was instructing and a ride pilot for a few years . We had a tow pilot an ex spitfire RAF older gent. He liked to walk on the airport picking golf ball near the 10 th tee box . He had collected a garbage pail full . I drilled a hole into a ball and inserted a 2 ft piece of rebar. We took it out to that area and beat it into the ground. The next day we watched him scrounging balls through binoculars and saw him struggling to pick up said ball . He looked up and gave us the bird . Never laughed so hard
Old April 16th 20, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

5Z
When you guys gave those rides in Creede, what did you do for fuel?
Do you remember?
Its NLA these days
Nick

Old April 16th 20, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I had forgotten that one, Tom.* How embarrassing!

As I recall, after you got my attention, what I heard over the radio was
something like, "Dan, you're trailing smoke!"* That really got my
attention!* We had just crossed into the eastern slopes of the San Juan
mountains and there was no place to land.* My first thought was to turn
back towards the valley, but a quick look in the cockpit got my
attention on the mixture lever.

I did 54 tows that week with a bucket brigade and about 8 or 9 5-gallon
gas cans hauling Super Premium car gas from Creede to the airport.

Wasn't that the weekend trip that we learned the legend of Charlie
PeePee...?

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 16th 20, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Nick,

We had an auto gas STC for our 235 hp Pawnee.* Under then current
Colorado law, any fuel not used for the highways got a tax refund so car
gas was really cheap compared to avgas.* I never noticed any difference
in performance, either.

And, to add to my previous post about Creede:* There was a very nice
lady there who owned a bed and breakfast situated at 10,000' MSL in the
mountains to the north of the airport.* She let me stay the three-day
weekend in exchange for a free glider ride.

Dan

Old April 16th 20, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Thursday, April 16, 2020 at 10:53:15 AM UTC-4, Nick Kennedy wrote:
5Z
When you guys gave those rides in Creede, what did you do for fuel?
Do you remember?
Its NLA these days
Nick

When I was a member of High Flights Soaring Club (Meadowlake) 2001-6, we took 3x55 gal drums of ethanol-free MOGAS with us, a wobble pump for the 180hp SuperCub.
Old April 16th 20, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

On Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 2:40:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Maybe this is a good opportunity for some of us to share some stories of our experiences.
I'll go first.-

During the regional at Harris Hill in 2013 I was flying K21 with grandson Calvin Mampe, Rachel Conklin, and her sister Michelle. All 3 had flown multiple contests with me before, 2 having done so before they were old enough to solo.
Half way through the contest, my wife Dianne had a terrible fall and ended up hospitalized with some very serious injuries. All 3 of the juniors had good flights with me earlier in the contest so I told them to just keep on flying.
On Friday, Calvin and Rachel flew but decided to abandon the task part way around the course due to rain. They did not want to land out and take the ship apart in the rain. Smart!
The next day Rachel and Michelle flew together. About 4:00 I was in the ICU with Dianne when Calvin called. When I answered, he simply said “K21 four miles”. Our 2 young ladies had flown the course for a reasonable score. To my knowledge, this is the first time two young sisters had ever flown in competition. We had a seriously great group hug that night. This may be my best ever moment as a supporter of youth soaring.
Following up- Michelle is now an A&P working for Textron and just finished her first restoration, a 1-26E. Rachel is instructing at Flight Safety and soon will have all the requirements for her ATP.

UH

Not really to compare with some of these great stories, but years ago
I owned an RHJ 8 ( HP 14 2S) and used it to fly my friends.

I took the teenage son of a friend; He had done some simulator time
on his dad's computer; after we released in good soaring conditions
I asked him I he wanted to try, not expecting too much.
He immediately showed he had a grasp of flying. I put us in a thermal
and talked him round and we climbed. (It was quite a well behaved glider)
Ten miles from the airport, I asked him to take us home, and he knew where to go! Talked him round the circuit, and only took over on short final;
Quite remarkable talent.

The only other first glider flight competence was an ex RCAF maritime patrol
pilot; gave him the usual pretakeoff briefing on the Grob handling, and
on tow at 500 ft, I asked him to try it, expecting the usual exciting wild
gyrations; not abit of it; After a few small overshoots, he nailed it; I
only took control again at about 20 feet. (Landing)
John Firth
Old April 16th 20, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I had met Dr. Sam when Ellen and I had flown to the Tri-cities airport in 1966 in order to visit some friends of hers. I had my SSA handbook with me which listed members by state. I looked to see who might be in the area and came across Dr. Sam's info. Although it was a Sunday, I gave him a call and introduced myself. He asked where I was and I told him the airport. His response was that he would be out to meet me within the hour. It was a bit after noon when he arrived and we visited a bit all the while discussing glider flying. He said that he had a Ka-6 and would I help him put it together. Well of course, said I.
Once assembled, he asked me if I had ever flown one to which I replied the highest performance ship I had flown up to that point was a 1-26. Sam offered me his Ka-6 to fly. I was somewhat taken aback and asked him if he was sure he willing to let me to fly his bird. He was indeed, so after a cockpit check and a brief drill on local flying, he said he would tow me aloft and that I was to stay up as long and conditions and my posterior would permit which I did. Dr. Sam Huddleston was generous to a fault and is a classic example of the kind of individuals who are attracted to the sport of soaring.
Getting back to Strawberry Hill and the Phoebus, after rigging it, Dr. Sam asked if I would like to fly yet another of his sailplanes. Well dear reader, you know how that question was answered.
Dr. Sam proceeded with the cockpit check out. Among the things mentioned was that the tow release was attached to the landing gear. I was so enamored with all the fancy instruments (no COSIM vario to be found) that I hardly noticed the whistling noise as a great deal of what the good doctor was telling me was going in one ear and out the other.
Off I went. The Phoebus seemed to have no bad habits. As I towed through two thousand feet I decided to retract the landing gear which seemed to be a bit stiff. After gear up...time to release. I pulled the knob which dribbled out of the console about three inches and dangled there. I was still on tow. Well this is embarrassing, so I tugged on the release, all to no avail. As I pondered the problem, the light slowly illuminated. I was glad to know that I was alone in the cockpit with no one there to see my blush of embarrassment. I lowered the gear and the release cable with attached knob retracted its self into the instrument panel and so when I reached three thousand feet and pulled the release device, it worked. Nice going dumy!