CAI 302 needle fell off

Old June 1st 20, 12:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nelson Howe

Default CAI 302 needle fell off

So the needle fell off my 302 yesterday. Noticed it on the ground, but the landing wasn't that firm.

Anyway, I thought I could get by short term without it, as I use it to feed the Clearnav, and have a Butterfly as well. But a very wise man suggested that the 302 hunts for the needle position on start up for calibration, and might not work without the needle. I tried it, and he was correct.

Could it be as simple as opening up the case and gluing the needle back on with a dab of
Old June 1st 20, 12:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nelson Howe

On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 7:15:03 AM UTC-4, Nelson Howe wrote:
So the needle fell off my 302 yesterday. Noticed it on the ground, but the landing wasn't that firm.

Anyway, I thought I could get by short term without it, as I use it to feed the Clearnav, and have a Butterfly as well. But a very wise man suggested that the 302 hunts for the needle position on start up for calibration, and might not work without the needle. I tried it, and he was correct.

Could it be as simple as opening up the case and gluing the needle back on with a dab of

Glue, a dab of glue. I.e., medium viscosity CA or epoxy.

Hit the damn post button with the heel of my hand.

Thanks,

Nelson
Old June 1st 20, 12:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Muttley

On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 12:15:03 PM UTC+1, Nelson Howe wrote:
So the needle fell off my 302 yesterday. Noticed it on the ground, but the landing wasn't that firm.

Anyway, I thought I could get by short term without it, as I use it to feed the Clearnav, and have a Butterfly as well. But a very wise man suggested that the 302 hunts for the needle position on start up for calibration, and might not work without the needle. I tried it, and he was correct.

Could it be as simple as opening up the case and gluing the needle back on with a dab of

Beware, opening the case will void your IGC Secure recording and you will have to get it reset. Needle falling off is a known problem, but it is an easy fix.
Old June 1st 20, 12:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_6_]

At 11:16 01 June 2020, Nelson Howe wrote:
On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 7:15:03 AM UTC-4, Nelson Howe wrote:
So the needle fell off my 302 yesterday. Noticed it on the ground, but

t=
he landing wasn't that firm.
=20

=
and might not work without the needle. I tried it, and he was correct.
=20
Could it be as simple as opening up the case and gluing the needle back

o=
n with a dab of

Glue, a dab of glue. I.e., medium viscosity CA or epoxy.

Hit the damn post button with the heel of my hand.

Thanks,

Nelson

However, If you open the case, you will break the electronic seal and
future IGC files will not be accepted as valid.

Better to send it to Gary at Clearnav to fix.

Old June 1st 20, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It’s not hard to do. As mentioned above, you’ll lose the “good seal”, but if you’re not downloading your flights from the 302, it’s not an issue. Tiny dab of superglue will work.
Old June 1st 20, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 7:15:03 AM UTC-4, Nelson Howe wrote:
... the landing wasn't that firm.

That's what they all say...
Old June 1st 20, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

... the landing wasn't that firm.

That's what they all say...

I used to have a Replogle barograph. Anything but a perfect touchdown looked like a seismic event on the trace. The original "Whack-O-Meter."
Old June 1st 20, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 4:15:03 AM UTC-7, Nelson Howe wrote:
So the needle fell off my 302 yesterday. Noticed it on the ground, but the landing wasn't that firm.

Anyway, I thought I could get by short term without it, as I use it to feed the Clearnav, and have a Butterfly as well. But a very wise man suggested that the 302 hunts for the needle position on start up for calibration, and might not work without the needle. I tried it, and he was correct.

Could it be as simple as opening up the case and gluing the needle back on with a dab of

"but the landing wasn't that firm." Are you a current or former carrier qualified Navy pilot?
Old June 2nd 20, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nelson Howe

On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 7:15:03 AM UTC-4, Nelson Howe wrote:
So the needle fell off my 302 yesterday. Noticed it on the ground, but the landing wasn't that firm.

Anyway, I thought I could get by short term without it, as I use it to feed the Clearnav, and have a Butterfly as well. But a very wise man suggested that the 302 hunts for the needle position on start up for calibration, and might not work without the needle. I tried it, and he was correct.

Could it be as simple as opening up the case and gluing the needle back on with a dab of

Thanks all. Took it apart, and glued it back on. See if it works next time out. I don't need it for IGC logging, but I do need it to talk to my Clearnav.

Nelson