Windshield replacement

Old June 23rd 05, 09:03 PM
Jim Burns

Default Windshield replacement

When we purchased our Aztec, one of the things that we promised to
update/upgrade/replace was the two piece windshield with a new 1/4" one
piece. This will raise our compass up and move our OAT gauge to the pilot's
side window.

Well, today it came and is sitting in my computer room. I've got the STC
and the install directions so next week when the Azzy goes in for it's
annual, with the help of our A&P/I we'll take out the old and put in the
new.

The install directions look pretty straight forward. Remove the old, trim
centerpost for remounting compass, clean out the old seal and silicone, test
fit, trim, test fit, trim, ect. Install new seal, silicone, remount
compass, swing compass, mount OAT in side window. Use plastic cutting drill
bits, 100% silicone caulk, new hardware, ect. Yeah, I'm "sure" it will be
that easy... not.

So, does the group have any collective wisdom, horror stories or vast
experience replacing windshields?

Thanks!
Jim

Old June 23rd 05, 10:04 PM
Montblack

("Jim Burns" wrote)
[snip]
So, does the group have any collective wisdom, horror stories or vast
experience replacing windshields?

Wayne wrote back in Nov 2003:
(Updated picture of the 172 project - rec.aviation.piloting)

Never put a windshield in when the wings are not on the plane! Take that to
the grave!

So, um, don't first take of your wings I guess :-)

Good luck with your project.

Montblack

Old June 23rd 05, 10:45 PM
Jim Burns

So, um, don't first take of your wings I guess :-)
Montblack

Hey now, if you're gonna make me do that, you've gotta come help me!

Jim

Old June 23rd 05, 11:04 PM
Montblack

("Jim Burns" wrote)
So, um, don't first take of your wings I guess :-)

Hey now, if you're gonna make me do that, you've gotta come help me!

I couldn't figure out how to spell "off" ...but yeah, let me have at your
plane. g

Montblack

Old June 24th 05, 12:28 AM
Viperdoc

I had the windshield of my Baron replaced recently, and it took two skilled
technicians the better part of four days to do all of the glass. (This was
all they do for a living).

It was an extremely difficult job, requiring drilling of rivets, fitting,
and sealing. I was glad to have paid for the job, since I didn't have to
worry about scratching or cracking the windshield. When done, the sealing
was perfect, with no leaks (water or air).

Good luck doing it on your own.

Old June 24th 05, 01:24 AM
Jim Burns

Hey now, if you're gonna make me do that, you've gotta come help me!

I couldn't figure out how to spell "off" ...but yeah, let me have at your
plane. g

Montblack

Oh... Um... sorry... moment of temporary insanity.

Jim

Old June 24th 05, 03:00 AM
Kyle Boatright

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
[...]

THE most tedious job in building my RV-6 was fitting the windscreen and
canopy. This was caused by the canopy being blown by party A, the airframe
being constructed by party B (me), and the canopy frame being welded by
party C. Your task may be easier because you're only trying to fit together
two mismatched components instead of three.

Remember that plexiglass is fragile and expensive. To save yourself some
heartache, take heed of the following:

If you leave a stress riser (a nick for instance) on an edge, and put the
plexi under stress, it'll crack in a heartbeat. To avoid this, make sure
and sand or scrape off all sharp edges and dress out notches, even as you
fit and refit the glass. Before final assembly, make sure you really, really
clean up the edges of the plexi. They should be smooth to the touch.
Sandpaper or edge scrapers work well for smoothing edges.

The warmer you get plexiglass, the less brittle it becomes. I did most of
the work on my canopy in an 85 degree garage with a space heater running
inside the cockpit. No fun at all.

There are special plexiglass drill bits that don't "grab" the plexi. Make
sure you use those, particularly in any size over about 3/32. Unibits also
work well in plexi.

The instructions on my canopy were to cut it by making multiple shallow
passes with a cut-off wheel. You don't want to create stress risers by
overheating the plexi at various points along the edge.

Some folks recommend flaming the edge of plexi for a good smooth edge. Even
more folks say this is a terrible idea because you cause dissimilar heating
in the material and stress risers.

Enjoy.

KB

Old June 24th 05, 03:07 AM
Jim Burns

The "on our own" part will be mainly taking the old windshield and assembly
out then cleaning everything up so the A&P/I (s) can trim, fit, and install
the new one. They soley do glass for a living, but I've seen some that
they've replaced and I don't have any complaints.

No rivets... seems like in 1966 Piper saved all their rivets for the
Comanche's and the Aztec got "screwed", at least 25 screws that I can count
just looking at a picture of the plane, holding the windshield in. And just
to reinforce my theory that Piper said "Don't fit? Too loose? Just put
another screw in it!" The install directions with this windshield call for
4 screws along the bottom, "but you can use up to 6 or 8".

Jim

Old June 24th 05, 03:08 AM
Jim Burns

'er "don't" soley do glass for a living

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
I had the windshield of my Baron replaced recently, and it took two

skilled
technicians the better part of four days to do all of the glass. (This

was
all they do for a living).

It was an extremely difficult job, requiring drilling of rivets,

fitting,
and sealing. I was glad to have paid for the job, since I didn't have to
worry about scratching or cracking the windshield. When done, the

sealing
was perfect, with no leaks (water or air).

Good luck doing it on your own.

Windshield Antenna Kits Scrabo Piloting 2 July 12th 04 04:58 PM
windshield wipers tony roberts Owning 8 June 1st 04 02:45 AM
Arrgh! I may have scratched my windshield! Peter R. Owning 7 April 28th 04 07:58 AM
Windshield sealant Mike Noel Owning 10 October 2nd 03 01:04 AM
TKM MX-11 Com true slide replacement ? Rohit Fedane Owning 0 September 21st 03 05:02 PM