Clearnav vario GPS

Old June 16th 20, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

Default Clearnav vario GPS

Three or so years ago, despite having been a Cambridge rep for many yeas, I bought a Clearnav vario , recommended by Dave Ellis. There are several screens
of programable options; I found accessing these
in flight using two knobs, even the audio volume, an impossible task; I confess that I am of the persuasion that one switch/knob per function is the right approach.

Among the few things I wanted to change is the averaged (smoothed) ROC
time constant is the 20sec value, much too short for my taste.
Beats me why this is not user controlled.
But I digress!
Unable to find an email for Paul REmde, I ask here what is the use
of the supplied GPS antenna when there seems to be no data storage?
There is a Lat/long display, really useful when scratching at 1000 ft! (not)
What am I missing?

John Firth
Old June 16th 20, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Tuesday, June 16, 2020 at 1:48:22 PM UTC-7, john firth wrote:
Three or so years ago, despite having been a Cambridge rep for many yeas, I bought a Clearnav vario , recommended by Dave Ellis. There are several screens
of programable options; I found accessing these
in flight using two knobs, even the audio volume, an impossible task; I confess that I am of the persuasion that one switch/knob per function is the right approach.

Among the few things I wanted to change is the averaged (smoothed) ROC
time constant is the 20sec value, much too short for my taste.
Beats me why this is not user controlled.
But I digress!
Unable to find an email for Paul REmde, I ask here what is the use
of the supplied GPS antenna when there seems to be no data storage?
There is a Lat/long display, really useful when scratching at 1000 ft! (not)
What am I missing?

John Firth

Do you have the Club version? The CNv has a complete IGC legal data logger, but I think it is enabled only with the XC license. I'd call or email Rex Mayes, the new owner of the ClearNav product line. Unfortunately, the written documentation is sparse, but there are short cuts to volume and other functions.
Old June 17th 20, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

paul at remde dot us
Old June 17th 20, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Anybody that can't find Paul Remde's email address might want to reconsider flying gliders, as that is more difficult.
Old June 17th 20, 12:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi John,

Call me at any time at 952-445-9033.

The included GPS antenna is used to calculate position and used for final glide calculations and wind calculations. It is also used for the built-in GPS flight recorder for the "XC" version. The "Club" version doesn't have the built-in logger or task navigation, but can still use the GPS for wind and final glide calculations. It can navigate back to your home airport.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
email: paul at remde dot us