Restored B-17 Flying video

Old November 9th 05, 05:48 AM
Morgans

Default Restored B-17 Flying video

"N93332" wrote

I'm sure glad airplanes don't go 'obsolete' as fast. My '46 Ercoupe works
fine for me...

Boy, ain't that the truth! Even the space shuttle runs on what was tons of
computer power then, now less than a laptop! Wow!
--
Jim in NC

Old November 9th 05, 07:50 AM
Skywise

"Morgans" wrote in
:

"N93332" wrote

I'm sure glad airplanes don't go 'obsolete' as fast. My '46 Ercoupe
works fine for me...

Boy, ain't that the truth! Even the space shuttle runs on what was tons
of computer power then, now less than a laptop! Wow!

If I am remembering correctly off the top of my head, the original
shuttle computers were basically 5 Apple II's networked. That is,
it was the same CPU anyway, 6502's.

They've since been upgraded. I think they have "486's" now.

Space computers are always lagging behind our desktops. It's not
easy space certifying electronics. Cosmic rays play havoc on
microchips, especially RAM.

In one specific instance the Russians allowed an American to bring
up some store bought laptops to the ISS, to which NASA was not happy.
Thos elaptops were used for a special project.

I dabble with ray traced computer graphics using the program POVRay.
http://www.povray.org.

There is one image in the Hall of Fame that was rendered on those
laptops on the ISS: http://www.povray.org/community/hof/16b.php

Complete details at: http://www.oyonale.com/iss/english/

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Supernews sucks - blocking google, usenet.com & newsfeeds.com posts
Old November 9th 05, 12:58 PM
C. Massey

"Charles K. Scott" wrote in message
On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 12:54:10 GMT, "C. Massey"
wrote:

It is a G model. I believe the top turret is missing on this model. More
info and pictures at http://www.vintageflyingmuseum.org

Not so. All models of the B-17 that saw combat (flew bombing
missions) had top turrets. The one in the film has one too. Am I
missing something here?

Corky Scott

Yes, about 2 or 3 posts below in this thread where my mistake was clarified
and I admitted to my mistake...

Old November 9th 05, 01:48 PM
Flyingmonk

TRS-80, I remember those. We called them Trash-80. ;)

We are old aren't we? None of my kids nor their friends know what
these things are.

When I met my wife, I had one 'o them mobile phones, you know, the
one's that had a car battery pack underneath? and had a standby time of
two hours and fifteen minute talk time? It was the in thing to have,
weighted in at ten pounds?

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Old November 9th 05, 01:53 PM
Flyingmonk

I'm new at wood working, but I can frame though, and build decks, sheds
and such, just not fine woodworking like furnitures or cabinets.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Old November 9th 05, 02:28 PM
Jay Honeck

When I met my wife, I had one 'o them mobile phones, you know, the
one's that had a car battery pack underneath? and had a standby time of
two hours and fifteen minute talk time? It was the in thing to have,
weighted in at ten pounds?

Hey -- that was the cutting edge in portability! Mine was bolted to the
floor of my van.

Of course, in their defense, those early mobile phones had MUCH better audio
quality than the junk we have today. Sure, they're now very portable and
handy, but half the time people sound like their under water...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 9th 05, 02:31 PM
Flyingmonk

Sounds like you need a digital phone Jay. The anologue (spell) are bad
sounding, w/ digital, you either get clear reception or no reception at
all. I have no problems w/ mine, never any statics.

Bryan

Old November 9th 05, 02:43 PM
Jay Honeck

Sounds like you need a digital phone Jay. The anologue (spell) are bad
sounding, w/ digital, you either get clear reception or no reception at
all. I have no problems w/ mine, never any statics.

Just the opposite, IMHO. I've had three (?) digital phones now, since
everything "went digital" and -- although they've improved as more and more
towers are installed -- they are still junk, compared to the old analog
phones.

With analog phones, as you got farther from a transmitter, the signal would
get crackly and weak -- but would still be understandable -- before
ultimately dying. With digital cell phones, they get
warbly/garbled/under-water with ANY kind of interference. Have a truck
drive between you and the transmitter, and all you will hear is garble.
The sound quality standards are simply much lower than they were with analog
phones.

With the prevalence of cell phones, it's become a real problem for us at the
hotel. We're constantly asking people to "Say again?" as the guest's phones
wow in and out while they're trying to make reservations...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 9th 05, 02:51 PM
Flyingmonk

Sounds like it is a real problem for you. Is it the guests' phones
that is loosing quality or your own phones? I'd suggest that you call
your service provider and request that they ramp-up the wattage at the
tower near your hotel. I complained initially several years ago about
reception at my house and they sent a scout car out to my house that
had all kinds of equipment and antennaes in/on it. THey said that they
just needed to up the wattage in the tower near my house and that did
the trick. This was Sprint several years back, I now use Nextel. They
merged with Sprint recently BTW.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Old November 9th 05, 02:57 PM
Jay Honeck

Sounds like it is a real problem for you. Is it the guests' phones
that is loosing quality or your own phones?

It's the guest's phones. (Our hotel phone system is an
ancient-but-top-quality Mitel system -- a French brand, ironically enough...
:-)

I'd suggest that you call
your service provider and request that they ramp-up the wattage at the
tower near your hotel.

Well, we don't actually take very many reservation calls from people *near*
the hotel.

It's pretty much a nationwide thing, with everyone dumping their land-line
phones in favor of the conveniently portable cell phones. Their sound
quality just sucks, compared to land-lines and the old analog phones.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA